Anyone heard of a 1923 Cardway

Guest AlCapone

Cardway is listed in the Standard Catalog of American Cars by Beverly Rae Kimes and Henry Austin Clark Jr. "New York, 1923-1924". No mention of Detroit, it was said to have been built by Colonel Frederick Cardway. Only 5, possibly 6 were built, mostly for export with right hand drive. Cardway never incorporated. One was said to remain in a collection in Canada. Have you possibly unearthed another long lost one? My catalog is the first edition from 1985.

From "The Complete Encyclopedia of Motor Cars" edited by G.N. Georgano

Cardway (US) 1923-1925

Frederick Cardway New York N.Y.

This was an assembled car using a Continental 6-cylinder engine. A total of six cars, all touring models, were built by Colonel Cardway, of which one was fitted with right hand drive and exported to Australia.

This reference fits with yours Dave.

That is likely to be the one which was cared for and used in a rural area of Western Victoria. Ian Smith, who had prodigious knowledge and memory of early cars in Australia, saw it and spoke of it as a rarity. When Timken had a factory making roller bearings in Ballarat, one manager who came to run it happened to be a nephew of Colonel Cardway. He knew about the cars, and that some came here; and started asking questions amongst antique car owners. Smithy immediately took him to the owner and introduced him. He bought the car and used it while he worked here, and shipped it back to the mid-west when he returned to USA.

I had been writing to Keith Marvin, who helped me with information on Duesenberg-engine cars like my Roamer. My interest focus was maybe a little different to Keith's. His obsession was with cars that were obscure and rare; whereas my interest was restricted to those of extraordinary mechanical design and quality. If I recall correctly, I mentioned the Cardway among a short list of the oddities. That switched his lights on. I gave him the contacts: He contacted the owner, and published a feature on the car in Automobilists of the Upper Hudson Valley. That is where you should do your library search.

Ian Smith put me onto the Roamer-Duesenberg. He was not interested in getting it himself, because he considered it too similar in type to his special 1918 Stutz Bearcat. It has a six and a half inch stroke crankshaft, whereas all normal ones are 6 inch stroke. A good few years ago, Ian and Leonie Stopped for lunch with us on the way to visit Leonie's elderly father at Lakes Entrance. As we looked around my cars and workshop, I fired continuous questions about interesting cars he had told me of twenty-odd years earlier. I did not know that he had suffered severe head injuries in his Volvo (or similar) ten years before. About a fortnight later he rang to tell me that following their visit, and my questioning, his memory had suddenly recovered. Sadly, Ian's health deteriorated badly. When Leonie was unable to care for him at home, I understand she went every day for years to be with him in the nursing home. A friend from Sydney NSW liked to visit me when he came each year to Bendigo Swap weekend; and he send me a DVD of video footage he had taken over several visits. I burned a copy for Leonie to show Ian, though I knew he had limited attention span. When he saw and heard me explain and demonstrate the valve action of the 1923 6 cylinder, 6 litre cuff-valve engine, he suddenly said "Yes. That is right. It is nothing like a Knight sleeve valve engine." It is nice to know that he was still able to recognise and think about things that had always most interested him as his time ended.

Guest Steve Gibbs

Hello Guys,

I am the owner of this vehicle, and yes this is the vehicle that was in Victoria as mentioned above, i do have some correspondence from a relative of the owner and some news articles, the picture above is in my shop when i posted on this forum about getting information on the Cardway which there is not a lot of. This car is rare and in great shape i do have it for sale but not sure what it is worth as the appraiser i use would not give me a number because it is a one of so any ideas would be great

In 1964, when I was working about 50 miles south of Nihill, my friend Henry Formby persuaded me to drive over and meet Mr Bob Bongiorno, who sold the Cardway new. He had also sold the 1923 Cadillac which Henry used as an everyday car for the rest of his life. Mr Bondiorno told me that most of the cars he sold in that Period were T Model Fords; but he would get whatever each customer wanted. He told me that the great majority of Ford buyers had no previous car, nor any driving experience. A farm family would typically come to town in a horse jinker. He would sell them a T, give a fifteen minute driving lesson, and they were off. Whether people bothered to register a car in that distant farm area probably depended on whether they wanted identifying number plates in case of theft.

To be very precise about the meaning of words, the Cardway was never lost. It was used and cared for until Colonel Cardway's relative was directed to him; and he may likely have paid considerably more than anyone else would have offered. Quite a lot of people knew of it but were not interested. By definition it was not lost, so it was never really found.

If you want the widest market cover, Steve, have a look at prewarcar.com Otherwise you never give someone the chance to pay the biggest price for the greatest rarity.

The Cardaway from down under did return with the gentleman who worked at Timken Bearing and toured with it in Southwestren

Ontairo.I had the joy of rebuilding the magneto many years ago.there is also the story Bryon told me,he had the car pinstriped in

Australia the elderly gentleman who came to stripe the car had a very long way to come to get to were the car was and after the

normal intro's started mixing paint and getting ready it was at this time Byron noticed that this mans hands were shaking so

bad that he could hardly hold the brush.Byron ever the gentleman did not want to hurt the poor mans feelings along with the long

journey to get there desided he would just get the car redone at a later date.However once the brush was loaded with paint and the

man was a foot from the car the shaking stopped and the straightest lines where put down,only to resume shaking when loading

the brush for another line which agian was put down straight.Thanks for bringing back some memories

Again, I think it is very likely I met that painter. Ian Smith took me there one day in Ballarat to make an appointment to have his modern Plymouth re-painted. It was a cream colour, and 5 to eight years old in the early 1960s. I cannot remember the man's name because I did not commit it to memory. He used enamel and applied it by brush only, from a water-bath heated pot. Ian boasted that he left no brush marks.

The interest in old cars is not just the style, or mechanical design, and workmanship. Nor is it rarity or the background and connections of the people who made it.

The memories are important, too.

Guest Scott Kramer

Hi Steve,

When you purchased the car,did you get the small homemade plaque with the Cardway rad shell emblem on it.I purchased the reproduction Cardway emblem at Hershey years ago.I made the plaque & presented it to Byron N. at a car club meeting.My 1917 Briscoe ran out of gas just before our planned gas stop on a tour.Byron gave me some gas to get to the gas station.He wouldn't let me refill his gas can.

He always said that he couldn't win a draw,even if he was the only one in it.We put his name on all the draw ballots & got him to make the draw.When he made the first draw & saw his name on it ,he said that he would draw another name.When he drew his name the second time he knew what we had done.I presented him with the Cardway plaque.He asked me where I had got it ? I told him I had a hard time prying it off his rad shell.His wife told me later that when they got home he went and checked the rad shell.

Byron had also said that he believed that all the Cardways where right hand drive & exported to Australia.

Yours in vintage motoring,

Scott Kramer

Woodstock,Ontario,Canada

Guest AlCapone
Go take a look? Heck, go buy it and bring it home, you'll be the only one on millions of blocks to own one!

And what's a Henway? Everyone knows, 3 to 4 pounds...unless it's a piano, but that's another story....

I took your advice and I am now the proud new owner. Thanks, please see other 1923 Cardway post. Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Hi Steve,

When you purchased the car,did you get the small homemade plaque with the Cardway rad shell emblem on it.I purchased the reproduction Cardway emblem at Hershey years ago.I made the plaque & presented it to Byron N. at a car club meeting.My 1917 Briscoe ran out of gas just before our planned gas stop on a tour.Byron gave me some gas to get to the gas station.He wouldn't let me refill his gas can.

He always said that he couldn't win a draw,even if he was the only one in it.We put his name on all the draw ballots & got him to make the draw.When he made the first draw & saw his name on it ,he said that he would draw another name.When he drew his name the second time he knew what we had done.I presented him with the Cardway plaque.He asked me where I had got it ? I told him I had a hard time prying it off his rad shell.His wife told me later that when they got home he went and checked the rad shell.

Byron had also said that he believed that all the Cardways where right hand drive & exported to Australia.

Scott Kramer

Woodstock,Ontario,Canada

Hi Scott. I sent you a private message. Did you receive it ? Wayne

Guest AlCapone
Hi Steve,

Scott Kramer

Woodstock,Ontario,Canada

Scott. I sent you a private message. Wayne