67 Riviera Restoration

Guest bigb206

Guest bigb206

Hey Guys,

Question: I'm fixing up a 67 Riviera, which we're planning on selling. Per the metal plate, this car was orgianlly white with a black vinyl top. The question my buddy and I are disccusing: keeping the car original with the white paint and black top or painting the car a different color that would possible attract more buyers and getting rid of the vinyl top, if so which color?

The car is currently down to the metal.

Thanks,

Brandon

Personally, I would stay with the original color and top. To me, when I look at buying a classic car, I think there is more value in keeping it the way it was originally made. Again, my personal opinion, but I am disappointed when I discover someone changed major items on a car that I'm looking to buy. A 1967 Riviera is a beautiful car, no matter what color it is. Keep it the way it was made and all of the numbers and codes will still match, which is important to a lot of potential buyers.

White and black combo isn't bad. I would pick a factory color that was available on the Riviera in 67. There is a color and trim chart on the ROA website then you can find paint chips on the internet to get an idea what it looks like.

Some colors look better with a vinyl top than others so depending what color you choose may depend if you keep the top. I would lean towards keeping the vinyl top. What color is the interior? That will also dictate exterior choices. Colors like Black, Riviera Red, Verde Green, Plum, Shadow Turquoise and Blue Mist are all nice. Of course body condition prior to paint can also influence color choice. If there are some imperfections or you don't want to spend the needed time in prep for a darker color, you're better off staying white or a light color as it doesn't show defects under the surface. Though a little uncommon I've seen a couple cars in Riviera Red with a black top and thought they had great curb appeal. Riviera Red is not what you might expect.

Often people buy cars on emotion and if its an eye popping color with great curb appeal that can make a big difference especially if you want to attract attention away from other areas of the car that may not be up to snuff. By sticking with a factory color you will not detract from value and if anything increase value depending what color you are going from and to.

Having said that, white car, black top, chrome wheels with redlines looks pretty nice.

post-50687-143142828904_thumb.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Take a look at the valance under the rear window. If I remember correctly, cars with vinyl tops came with a metal valance under the rear window that was stamped to look like vinyl then painted the same color as the vinyl. Cars that did not come with a vinyl top came with a smooth valance. If you take off the vinyl top and don't change valances, it will be very obvious.

Ed

Take a look at the valance under the rear window. If I remember correctly, cars with vinyl tops came with a metal valance under the rear window that was stamped to look like vinyl then painted the same color as the vinyl. Cars that did not come with a vinyl top came with a smooth valance. If you take off the vinyl top and don't change valances, it will be very obvious.

Ed

You are correct Ed. I've seen several cars over the years that had the top removed but still had the textured metal rear cowl section in place. I've also seen a couple where an attempt was made to use filler over the texture to smooth it out.

Edited by JZRIV
Spelling (see edit history)

Wow, you really do learn something new everyday.

Thanks for that Ed and JZ.

Now for my opinion....

I hate when a realtor friend tells you what to do with your house when you are remodeling to make it better for resale. "Wait, don't I have to live here, right now?"

Same with cars. If you are going to keep it and enjoy it, paint it whatever color you want. It's a buyers market right now anyway, so you will most likely take a hit.

(edit: not trying to start something or harsh your buzz, AGAIN, just my opinion.)

Edited by buick5563
Just cuz (see edit history)

I've also seen a couple where an attempt was made to use filler over the texture to smooth it out.

Must be the same guys that used bondo to cover up the lap joint in the valance under the rear window in my '64. I'm still not over that one. Good Ol' T (for Tim, not Ted) cut one from a parts car that I did and r&r on.

In many cases, the interior and vinyl top colors were the same, unless the ordering dealer spec'd a "non-approved" combination, but the data plate will cover the "as produced" details.

With the black vinyl roof, the white body color would be fine for me. That became a somewhat popular combination in later years, for other GM cars. For somebody wanting something "un-jacked with", then "as produced" would be the way to go. Fresh paint isn't as offensive to me as a "color change" situation, if I was looking to purchase a vehicle as the new color might better reflect what the then-owner desired (for whatever reason) AND usually is some color that isn't "factory" for that model year . . . which might mean it could not easily be matched should that need arise later on.

"Resale Red" does not work for me on that car, with all of the great body lines and contours. White can look really good IF the chrome is shiney and other trim is similarly "new". I'd keep the vinyl roof as that was a "luxury option" back then. Just get the correct grain and keep it black and shiney.

Although I seem to be getting more "color neutral" in my advancing age, if I can find a car I like, color isn't as important as it would be if I had ordered the car when it was new. Back then, or later, I would have chosen a color which would accent the body shape (i.e., darker metallic blue or crimson sort of color), but I have white cars too and they look very good when clean and shiney and the chrome is shiney.

ONE color that I would pass on is what I term "light celery green metallic" as that color didn't last more than one year in the Texas sun before it faded, leaving the sides looking good as the more horizontal surfaces "died". IF I bought a car that was that color, it would have to be either mint, garage kept, or cheap enough to finance a repaint in modern paints. It looked nice when new, though. To me, though, "the car" is more important than "color", in many cases. Default mode, for me, is "stock, as produced".

Now . . . IF you wanted to go "off the charts" crazy, you could "blackboard satin black" the body and keep the black vinyl roof in stock fabric. Add a red-orange double pin stripe just under the upper fender line (as the factory would have placed one), for accent. Then, add a 16" wheel/tire package (chrome, NOT black wheels!) with the same diameter as the stock tires for added affect. I suspect it would look really neat and get lots of attention, but might also drive buyers away . . . as they might consider it either too expensive for them, "too much changed" for their taste, or combinations thereof. Now, as an alternative situation, paint it white and after it's cured and if it doesn't sell soon enough for you, THEN get it wrapped in the satin black wrap, adding the noted pin stripe. That way, it can be un-wrapped within 3 years and not have any problems (so they say) if the new owner might desire.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

ONE color that I would pass on is what I term "light celery green metallic" as that color didn't last more than one year in the Texas sun before it faded, leaving the sides looking good as the more horizontal surfaces "died". IF I bought a car that was that color, it would have to be either mint, garage kept, or cheap enough to finance a repaint in modern paints. It looked nice when new, though. To me, though, "the car" is more important than "color", in many cases. Default mode, for me, is "stock, as produced".within 3 years and not have any problems (so they say) if the new owner might desire.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

The worst color combination that I drove for work was about an '83 LeSabre that had yellow/cream exterior, Gold vinyl top and the interior was a lime green upholstery. Talk about a mis-built vehicle color combinations. YUK.

The worst color combination that I drove for work was about an '83 LeSabre that had yellow/cream exterior, Gold vinyl top and the interior was a lime green upholstery. Talk about a mis-built vehicle color combinations. YUK.

That was the colors of my High School , we would have loved to have a car that color when we were in school... .. But, not for long after ...

Well my father when he was a Buick dealer sold a 54 Roadmaster 4-door, the colors were,,,,,,,GREEN BODY, BRIGHT RED TOP, and BLUE INTERIOR.

Factory called to confirm such, seems the owner owned a Carnival, and it was to be one of the PARADE CARS.

When it arrived, the owner when he first saw it said " OH SMITTY, DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT"?

Today, you couldn't order such a car, I THINK,,,,

Dale in Indy

As a used car or modified car a different color would be looked at as "Nice Paint" or "Sharp car". As a collector car appraised at collector car value it would be "1967 Riviera, wrong color, needs paint, vinyl top missing". At bare metal you get to chose your market.

In 1980 I painted my brown Riviera maroon. During the years it has not affected the value and I expect it never will for me. The price I gave my wife to sell it for if I am dead is low enough so color won't be an issue, either.

Of course, you are fixing up a pretty nice car and you may want to keep it. Be sure the other half of "we" will let you buy them out so you can keep it.

Bernie

• 2 months later...
Guest bigb206

I'm not sure why I never got notifications that someone responded to this thread...but after discussing color and options with my friends uncle ( the owner) he decided to go with a gray color and no vinyl top.

post-103635-143142962751_thumb.jpg

post-103635-143142962781_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigb206 (see edit history)

There are two types of fasteners for the lower door stainless. The two at the very front and rear use a small screw with special plastic washer and the mid section are plastic clips that have slots for the T-posts. Neither is available reproduction as far as I know. I've always had to get these used. Mid section clips should be relatively easy to find but the front and rear ones are more difficult as they usually get broken or disappear due to their location being rust prone. This is no doubt why I've seen many examples where these moldings were drilled and a screw put through them.

Guest bigb206
I like the color, and certainly WITHOUT the top in vinyl.

Did you sell the car?

Dale in Indy

Thanks Dale!

No still putting it back together, have the carpet and seats to put back... then of course I need to find new door moldings :)

Guest bigb206

Would you happen to have a picture of middle clips that fit in the t-posts?

There are two types of fasteners for the lower door stainless. The two at the very front and rear use a small screw with special plastic washer and the mid section are plastic clips that have slots for the T-posts. Neither is available reproduction as far as I know. I've always had to get these used. Mid section clips should be relatively easy to find but the front and rear ones are more difficult as they usually get broken or disappear due to their location being rust prone. This is no doubt why I've seen many examples where these moldings were drilled and a screw put through them.

I'm not sure why I never got notifications that someone responded to this thread...but after discussing color and options with my friends uncle ( the owner) he decided to go with a gray color and no vinyl top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]294047[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]294048[/ATTACH]

Looking Good !