Found one!

DaveC6970

Hello again,

Well, after (2) "New to the Riviera" threads I've finally found the car I'm going to buy. Thanks again for all the advice you guys have given me, I do appreciate it. This is no project car but a nicely preserved 63' 3 owner car. The current owner is an ROA member but not active on the forum. I'll post some pics later but I wanted to show you (2) accessories this car has that I have never seen.

The first is a dash mounted sweep style GM tach, has a GM logo anyway. The second is an under hood light with its own hood operated switch. This light is removable and has enough cord to take around the car. Supposedly these are dealer installed accessories, what do you guys think?

Pretty cool even if they're not. Thanks, Dave

post-97368-143142454632_thumb.jpg

post-97368-143142454641_thumb.jpg

Hello again,

Well, after (2) "New to the Riviera" threads I've finally found the car I'm going to buy. Thanks again for all the advice you guys have given me, I do appreciate it. This is no project car but a nicely preserved 63' 3 owner car. The current owner is an ROA member but not active on the forum. I'll post some pics later but I wanted to show you (2) accessories this car has that I have never seen.

The first is a dash mounted sweep style GM tach, has a GM logo anyway. The second is an under hood light with its own hood operated switch. This light is removable and has enough cord to take around the car. Supposedly these are dealer installed accessories, what do you guys think?

Pretty cool even if they're not. Thanks, Dave

I`ve seen the tach before as an NOS item. I believe it was either a Chevrolet or truck accessory.

The underhood light is fairly common across GM divisions. Pontiac and Buick are the 2 divisions I most often see it associated with. This light is also used in the trunk.

A `63 with a 425? Cool...

Tom Mooney

Thanks guys, not sure if it really has a 425 or just the reproduction trim piece. Pretty sure he told me it was a 401, is there an easy way to tell? The car has lots of nice options, power everything including the vent wings and my favorite option the aluminum wheel covers. I'll get some better pics tomorrow. -Dave

The production code number will tell you for sure. The '63's with a 425 will have a JW for a code. If it is a 401, the production code will be JT.

Here's a link that shows where to find the code. It will be stamped in the machined surface, not cast.

The picture is all you need, the text does not apply to the 401/425.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_where.php

Ed

Congrats! Envy your find. Saw a very similar- silver/silver- '63 Riviera, brand new, on show room floor at San Luis Obispo CA dealership when in college there. It was lust at first sight. It had the GuideMatic, power vents and aluminum wheel covers but don't remember a tach. My car at the time was a 63 Corvette split window but I ached for the Riviera. Damn salesman would not let me test drive it 'tho since he must have realized I wasn't a serious buyer. I think a doctor in SLO bought the car. Most recently I was seeking a silver Riv when I found my Spruce green. Keep us posted on your progress.

Most recently I was seeking a silver Riv when I found my Spruce green.

The first '63 Riv I ever saw was Spruce Green w/ silver leather. I bought an AMT model and painted it to look just like that car. I still have the model but repainted it to match the '63 I now have - Black w/ white leather.

Ed

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I was fortunate to find this car and hope to preserve it as well as it's previous owners have.

I did find out a few more things yesterday.

- It had a wonderbar radio at one time, there is still a switch in the floor like a headlight dimmer for changing stations? That's what the owner told me it was for anyway. The radio was replaced in the mid seventies with an 8 track player. Kinda cool sorta, at least it appears the dash was not cut up for this. That is when the 2 small speakers were cut into the rear deck. I wouldn't have done this but understand at the time upgrading the sound system probably seemed like a good idea.

- The car also has cornering lamps, appears to have tint on all the windows, AC (not working), power antenna, so along with the power windows and seat, deluxe wheel covers it's a nicely optioned car. I attached a pic of the trim plate below, maybe I missed something.

- It had one repaint in the mid-seventies it's original color and the paint is starting to show its age a bit. There are a few chips and the lacquer paint has a few webs/cracks forming. But I kind of like it that way, it's not a show car but a well cared for original.

Working on getting it shipped home now, been reading all the shipping threads and info I can get. The previous owner, an ROA member, was nice enough to keep the car in its current garage until I can arrange transport. Also I can't thank you guys enough for all your words of wisdom during my search. Being patient did pay off but now I can't wait to get her home. -Dave

post-97368-143142456489_thumb.jpg

The power antenna was part of the wonderbar radio option D4. only the D shows up on the data plate. If you're really wanting to go back to orginal, I have a wonderbar radio that I'd part with. It would have to be refurbished, but it is complete. All '63 Rivieras equipped with a radio (which ever one was chosen) had only one rear seat speaker - the one in the grill between the back seats. Makes for boring sounds but that's the way it was in '63.

Ed

Congrats on a very nice find! I bought a '63 earlier this year from the estate of the first owner up in WA state. Teal Mist with white leather. Where in SoCal are you -- anywhere near San Diego? This forum, and joining the Riviera Owners Association (ROA), will be invaluable to you as it is to us all, and the best $$ you'll spend during your ownership. Welcome -- all of us are here to share our experiences and help you sort anything and everything out.

Dick, thanks for the info, kind of a bummer AM only. I'm guessing the foot switch was the same kind of thinking like today's steering wheel radio controls, reduce driver distractions. Whatever the reason the foot switch is a way cool feature and would be slick if it worked.

Jan, we're in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles, not too awful far from San Diego. I know what you mean about this forum, I've learned tons from it. I especially like how willing everyone is to share their knowledge, some forums not so much. I joined ROA back in September when I got serious about my search. I'm anticipating many more questions posted in my future and hopefully can answer a few for others too. -Dave

Thanks guys for all the comments.

The radio was replaced in the mid seventies with an 8 track player. Kinda cool sorta, at least it appears the dash was not cut up for this. That is when the 2 small speakers were cut into the rear deck. I wouldn't have done this but understand at the time upgrading the sound system probably seemed like a good idea.

-Dave

Ha yea - Every car I bought in the late 70s (teenager) and early eighties immediately got two 6x9 Jensens installed on the rear shelf including my first 67 Riv. All friends did same thing. Its a wonder any cars survivied this era without being hacked up. I wouldn't be in too much hurry to replace them.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Riv home this week, what a relief. The previous owner was an ROA member and included all his old Riview copy's with the car, what a great bonus. He also had lots of documentation and receipts dating back to 80's along with some spare parts. The Riv is in my garage now and I keep going out there just to look at it. Man these cars are gorgeous! -Dave

post-97368-143142469383_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64

Looks very clean and originial. Congrats on finding such a nice example. Be prepared to spend a lot more time out in the garage admiring her lol.

Guest Buicklover

Dave,

Looks like you still need to find the illusive "Kleenex Tissue Dispenser" that goes under the dashboard below the glovebox door. If interested, let me know.

Bill Renico

Guest lowered65

Congrats on the car, i love how the 63s have the black console color, would a black 63 trim kit from Clarks fit in my 65 or are they different?

They are totally different. The ash tray a/c piece would work on your '65, but the shifter piece is longer to accommodate the longer throw of the shift lever. If you'd like to experiment with trying to make your own, I have some black camera vinyl (self adhesive) that you could make the pieces for yourself.

They are totally different. The ash tray a/c piece would work on your '65, but the shifter piece is longer to accommodate the longer throw of the shift lever. If you'd like to experiment with trying to make your own, I have some black camera vinyl (self adhesive) that you could make the pieces for yourself.