BCA Rules on Buick OPEL???????

Guest buickapollo455

Guest my3buicks

Rick, I would think that duty would fall on the Regional/chapter Coordinator to reach out to those members and come up with a game plan to see this through. That has typically been one of the roles of that position. Once that person reaches out to the Opel community and tells them that the BCA is ready to warmly accept them under the umbrella can anything else be constructivly done.

Once the coordinator does this then the right people will likely step forward to run with it. This was close to happening about 8 years ago.

Guest my3buicks

Kevin, I did positive things for the club for many years, and stepped up to the plate on many occasions, Chair of National Judges Records, National Regional/Div & Chapter Coordinator, 1967 Tech Advisor, Chapter Director, etc.

I did the groundwork on this once as C & R Coordinator and my original working folder(well marked as Opel Div) was passed on to the BCA office and I guess at that time it was dropped/ more than likely trashed. While I still enjoy the BCA and want to see it grow, I have no interest in getting back into the BCA's dirty politics.

I am pushing this issue as a member, and more so to give the BOD a solid sound idea to gain new members and to expand the BCA. Again, this is something that needs to be done by the current R & C Coordinator, or whomever is handling that area.

Before anyone, does anything, it needs to be decided to allow Opel's into the club or not - it would be hard for anyone to set it up, bring on new members, if they don't feel welcome and there is not a place for them waiting. If a decision would be reached to allow Opel's into the BCA, at that time an announcement in the Bugle could be made. There are current BCA members that have Opel's, and through them the word gets out through the Opel ranks. At this point would be the easiest time to get a division together. Unlike all other divisions that have grouped together, this group is not currently recognized or have the support of the BCA to build on.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

Interesting idea Larry. Also, if Opel would be approved it would make a great way to get the word out.

Kevin, I did positive things for the club for many years, and stepped up to the plate on many occasions, Chair of National Judges Records, National Regional/Div & Chapter Coordinator, 1967 Tech Advisor, Chapter Director, etc.

I did the groundwork on this once as C & R Coordinator and my original working folder(well marked as Opel Div) was passed on to the BCA office and I guess at that time it was dropped/ more than likely trashed. While I still enjoy the BCA and want to see it grow, I have no interest in getting back into the BCA's dirty politics

Keith, Why are you so intent in trying to trash the BCA? Dirty politics-when? This is a club of like minded individuals who enjoy Buicks. The board is made up of people willing to volunteer to help run the club. I don't know if you are upset because something didn't go your way but I highly doubt that the BCA office "trashed" your work. I can not speak for the prior people who served on the board so I do not know what their feeling regarding Opels to be allowed in the club, but I do know that the current board would listen to any proposals brought to us. If you are really serious about this, bring something up to the board. We will listen.

Guest wildcat465

Hey, this could settle it.

Let's all crack a cold one and raise a toast.

Opel enthusiats will vote with their participation! I am confident the BCA will welcome with open arms.

I still think it would be cool to see a pile of Opels at the Saturday car show in Ames. What a fine way to see how much Opel owners want to be included. Maybe could we talk the organizers to set up an exclusive area in which to park them.

It just amazes me that there is this much debate over the Opels. Every time I read something about Buicks, the Opel name is right there. The new wagon is an Opel rebadged, the Regal GS is an Opel rebadged. Buick and Opel are one in the same in my eyes. I hope the Opel guys join in great numbers. Some of those older Opels are pretty cool looking, and they get some body styles that we never got un the USA. Recent example is the Opel GT. It looked like the Saturn Sky, but with Opel badging, and a sister car to the Pontic Solstice....yet never showed up on a Buick dealership. so sad because I'm sure it would sell. the Pontiac and Saturn did sell well in our neck of the woods.

C'mon EVERYONE...raise a toast to the Opel guys and welcome them with open arms!! There are some cool cars there, and I'm sure some great people too!

A way to set this up would be to have an Opel tab like photos currently set up(with an Yellow & Black Opel emblem). Under the Opel tab place Opel Talk, Opel Buy/Sell, Opel Technical. This would give a one stop shop and link Opel owners to go to. Having worked for Buick for a lot of years and owned a dozen or more but none now, I believe Opel owers deserve a place at the table......IMO

Guest wildcat62

Roberta, I'm heading to Chicago in a couple weeks. Iffen you really want another Opel I'd be happy to pick it up for you and take it out to the Great Lakes Regional in August.:D

Guest wildcat465
That is not a real Opel from my vantage point. Real Opels are from Germany.

Careful Larry, that could start another arguement on here. :eek:

Are y'all going to include the Cadillac Catera in the Opel Family? Or the Pontiac GTO? BOTH of which have German Opel blood lines! Or just the "Buick Opels" of whatever parentage? I wonder what "The Parents" might think?

Passing thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest my3buicks

That would raise another interesting dicussion - I would say only Opels sold and serviced the years under the Buick umbrella.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Opel Owner
Hello, Have wondered on the Buick membership and backing of BCA on the Buick sold OPEL. Until 1980 I believe OPEL was sold at Buick dealers. Infact in 75-80 it read BUICK/OPEL on the fenders. I have an option to get a 74 ralleye in good enough condition to pick up. Please contact me at c_geske@earthlink.net in regards to OPEL BCA representing Buick at shows etc, I have been a national show judge and know of no class on this car, but of course there is no class on Apollo and skyhawk and late model compacts and SUVs either.

back to the original post. Being an Opel Owner, I probably would not go to a Buick sponsored car show. I am too use to car shows with "Imports" classes that I do quite well in.

post-82869-143138825604_thumb.jpg

booeman,

I think your recent question needs a bit of clarfication. Do you mean has the BCA done the abandoning or orphaning (if that is a word)? I think Opel Owner might have noted the problem. While Buick dealers did see Opel/Buicks, the Opel owner do have a national club as I understand, and might not want to participate in a Buick club. That being said, there seems a possibility does exist that Opel owners could pursue this with the BCA. Buickappolo455 has indicated he would pursue this, but I do not know where that stands. He is correct that there is no separate catagory of judging at this time, as it is for Gran Sport, Riviera, Reatta, GN and similar. I do not know the history, but it probably has to do with numbers and some lobbying for a separtae class. After all, soon the various vans will start showing at events., as 1999 cars are now eligible for National Meet judging.

I for one am a big fan of Opels having owned one myself.

John

I just joined this site as there was a link to it put up on OpelGT.com - The Classic Opel Community The site is for all Opels, both old and new, foreign and domestic, but, concentrating on the 68-75 Manta/Ascona (1900)/GT/Kadett. We have been having a similar discussion on our site about the BCA as there are several of our members who own both a Buick and an Opel or multiples of each. It's also known that there are a few of the new Buicks that are actually Opels, but, the general idea is that we're open to talk about Buicks at Opel meets and Opels at Buick meets. So, those that wish to can join OpelGT.com - The Classic Opel Community and voice their opinions too.

• 1 month later...
Guest grslightng02

My grandparents (now passed) owned at least 5 Buicks in their time, myself inheriting the last of their cars, a beautiful 1983 LeSabre 4 door Limited. Perhaps not the best as far as Buick goes in it's hay day but the car was in immaculate shape (a granny mobile that was 12 years old and had only around 30,000 miles on it!) I pampered that car to be sure.

My parents had an Opel GT in 1981 and I loved that car as well! Since then I have owned Opels and am on my 5th GT!

When my Opel friends and I get together and take our (mostly GT) Opels out to car shows and park them alongside the other many classics we get many comments ranging from, "Opel, oh yeah didn't they used to sell those at the Buick dealers?" to "Oh a GT one of those Mini-Vettes ,my friends _____ had one of those back in the 70's" to "Hey dad what kind of car is that???" While attending Euro-Sunday events we have even parked two of our GT's next to two Ferraris with similar styling lines. (Ironically our GT's got more looks and attention than the Ferraris LOL!)

Don't quote me on exact history but GM acquired the Adam Opel AG company, founded in 1862, between 1929-1931. Opel began with building sewing machines and bicycles and has been building cars since 1899. The true German built Opels were sold in the U.S. from 1958-1975.

The ever popular GT model dubbed "The Mini-Vette" was designed by GM Stylist Clare MacKichan and made it's debut at the 1965 Paris and Frankfurt Auto Show. It is rumored however that the concept of the car was a way to drum up interest in Opel and that there were no original plans to produce the car until it's overwhelming response at the show. By 1968 BOTH the Opel GT and Chevrolet Corvette (C3) had hit the showrooms sharing similar style.

Although sales were still strong by 1973, the GT's pistons had been dished in 1971 to accomodate smog regulations resulting in a 30HP loss, and GM & Opel had to figure out how to keep the style of the car with the upcoming new bumper impact standards for 1974. This combined with the end of the contract with French contractor Brissonneau & Lotz to build the GT body spelled the end of one of Opel's most favored and recognized cars.

Many an argument will go back and forth over whether Opel and Clare MacKichan designed a knockoff (stylewise) of the C3 Corvette or whether they produced their own car considering the GT was conceptualized in 1964 and revealed in 1965. And many an argument will go back and forth over the years between U.S. (Buick) car enthusiasts over whether Opels were indeed Buicks or even GM cars.

Nonetheless OPEL has been owned by GM since 1931 and is still in business today with many of it's cars being brought to the U.S. and some being rebadged and sold as Saturns, and more recently Buicks 2012 Regal GS, a rebadged Opel Insignia!

The greatest thing I can say is whenever my buddies and I need to take our cars to a car show, race, or event we can go as a European or Domestic. When we show up to a Domestic car show, if we get any flack all we have to do is show them the GM Badging on our car, the advertising showing Buicks and Opels together in one pic, along with any of our sales media and owners manuals that clearly show the GM label.

Argue as you will... but what greater than for an Opel owner to be able to enjoy both worlds of show, Import and Domestic!

"Nur Fliegen Ist Schoner"...Only Flying is Better!

• 4 weeks later...
My grandparents (now passed) owned at least 5 Buicks in their time, myself inheriting the last of their cars, a beautiful 1983 LeSabre 4 door Limited. Perhaps not the best as far as Buick goes in it's hay day but the car was in immaculate shape (a granny mobile that was 12 years old and had only around 30,000 miles on it!) I pampered that car to be sure.

My parents had an Opel GT in 1981 and I loved that car as well! Since then I have owned Opels and am on my 5th GT!

When my Opel friends and I get together and take our (mostly GT) Opels out to car shows and park them alongside the other many classics we get many comments ranging from, "Opel, oh yeah didn't they used to sell those at the Buick dealers?" to "Oh a GT one of those Mini-Vettes ,my friends _____ had one of those back in the 70's" to "Hey dad what kind of car is that???" While attending Euro-Sunday events we have even parked two of our GT's next to two Ferraris with similar styling lines. (Ironically our GT's got more looks and attention than the Ferraris LOL!)

Don't quote me on exact history but GM acquired the Adam Opel AG company, founded in 1862, between 1929-1931. Opel began with building sewing machines and bicycles and has been building cars since 1899. The true German built Opels were sold in the U.S. from 1958-1975.

The ever popular GT model dubbed "The Mini-Vette" was designed by GM Stylist Clare MacKichan and made it's debut at the 1965 Paris and Frankfurt Auto Show. It is rumored however that the concept of the car was a way to drum up interest in Opel and that there were no original plans to produce the car until it's overwhelming response at the show. By 1968 BOTH the Opel GT and Chevrolet Corvette (C3) had hit the showrooms sharing similar style.

Although sales were still strong by 1973, the GT's pistons had been dished in 1971 to accomodate smog regulations resulting in a 30HP loss, and GM & Opel had to figure out how to keep the style of the car with the upcoming new bumper impact standards for 1974. This combined with the end of the contract with French contractor Brissonneau & Lotz to build the GT body spelled the end of one of Opel's most favored and recognized cars.

Many an argument will go back and forth over whether Opel and Clare MacKichan designed a knockoff (stylewise) of the C3 Corvette or whether they produced their own car considering the GT was conceptualized in 1964 and revealed in 1965. And many an argument will go back and forth over the years between U.S. (Buick) car enthusiasts over whether Opels were indeed Buicks or even GM cars.

Nonetheless OPEL has been owned by GM since 1931 and is still in business today with many of it's cars being brought to the U.S. and some being rebadged and sold as Saturns, and more recently Buicks 2012 Regal GS, a rebadged Opel Insignia!

The greatest thing I can say is whenever my buddies and I need to take our cars to a car show, race, or event we can go as a European or Domestic. When we show up to a Domestic car show, if we get any flack all we have to do is show them the GM Badging on our car, the advertising showing Buicks and Opels together in one pic, along with any of our sales media and owners manuals that clearly show the GM label.

Argue as you will... but what greater than for an Opel owner to be able to enjoy both worlds of show, Import and Domestic!

"Nur Fliegen Ist Schoner"...Only Flying is Better!

This 1964 Pontiac (XP833 Banshee) was a prototype was built under John DeLorean as a Corvette fighter. A two seat sports car totally built outside of the knowledge of GM styling. Engine size ranged from the OHC six to the 421. This vehicle survived in secret until 1966 when the vehicle was poised to have a secret debut in 1966 at the Waldorf Astoria, but when GM brass found out about it had the car pulled out of the show at the last minute. Pontiac was hoping to have public pressure help get the car to production, much like when the division broke GM's rules with the Pontiac GTO, and apparently possibly the Opel GT. It is said XP833 vehicle's body style was the inspiration of the Mako Corvette show car, and further styling cues for the new 1968 Corvette. Here is a picture of the 64 XP833 Banshee;

http://www.supercars.net/carpics/3367/1964_Pontiac_BansheeXP8333.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/carpics/3367/1964_Pontiac_BansheeXP8332.jpg

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2499/956825.jpg

Many a talk around Pontiac in the sixties about how things would have been different if the corporation would have just left Pontiac alone!;)

Apparently there might have been some of that thought at other divisions as well.:rolleyes:

D.

• 6 months later...
Guest buickapollo455

OPEL OPEL OPEL, REGAL REGAL REGAL< new cars 2012, all 100% opel yet we call it a BUICK?????? what a minute, lets all go back. in 58 buick introduced the Opel to USA. and had it at dealers, till 1980. Sorry board, but here we go again. A division is not the responsibility of members, but the board should announce they have a division under the club for Opel to participate at national and local / region meets. Put in small guide lines, and examples. open to modified , original, and survivor like Buick has rights too. Yes I know Regal will be built in USA but still is 100% imported parts to assemble here, thus still OPEL. Yes all dealers in 90s joined or merged with foreign makers to do there cars in part or whole foreign car as subsidy to sales. But Buick did it long before any other dealer, and with history, now back at OPEL again we now need to consider at the board level, whether the board can put all this to end, and just create a "division of buick, as opel classification " , and be done with it. SKyhawk was MONZA by chevy, Apollo by Buick was opps a Chevy NOVA. before coming to be part of a 4 part group in x cars. If we have skyhawk and apollo in Buick class's then open your eyes, and allow Opel for sake of History of Buick. ...... settle the issue board, and allow now.

buickappolo455,

Your proposal is interesting. The BCA has a Reatta Division, a Pre-War Division and many others, but it does not have a Riviera Division. So, in my opinion, we should look at these situations regarding a similar situation as the Opel. There is a Riviera Owners Association and their is at least one Opel club, the last I checked. The ROA is "linked" to the BCA as a non-affiliated club, as are many others. I would think such a link would be a first step in establishing a more permanent affiliation such as a Division. Then, of course, a key element is if there were enough Opel owners who wanted to establish such as arangement. The BOD could set any number of sub-groups, but there would be litle need if the sub-group is not populated with enough car owners, or other interested persons to function. But, there would first need to be an action by the BOD to allow recognition of Opels as being a BUick in the terms of the Charter. If you look at Article I, it states "all models produced by the Buick Motor Division", so the wording might need alteration as to state "produced or marketed" by the Buick Motor Division. As an aside, after GM reorganization, I am not sure the Buick Motor Division is now correct.

John