2008 Dodge Challenger

Guest Skyking

I think it looks flat-out awesome, but only because the original looked so good. This isn't really a 21st-Century version of the original so much as a <span style="font-style: italic">replica</span>. The new Mustang, for example, clearly looks retro, but with a modern updating so it has a look all its own. And I especially like GM's Camaro concept. Clearly a Camaro, but very modern in execution. Nice! But the Challenger looks almost exactly like a 1971 Challenger with big wheels & tires and modern lighting. On the other hand, look how well Ford's GT has sold, and it was nothign more than a GT-40 replica. Maybe it just proves that great design is always beautiful.

The problem with retro cars is how do you update them? What will the next "New Beetle" look like? What about the next PT Cruiser? You can face-lift an existing design all you want, but eventually you have to make a new vehicle. How do you do that with an already derivative design that has no room to grow?

There wasn't much demand for Challengers when they were available in the '70s (their production numbers were a fraction of the Mustang and Camaro numbers). Are there enough enthusiasts around to justify building one again? I think all the other automakers are eyeing Ford's success with the Mustang and hoping to get in on the action. Unfortunately, it'll be 2-3 years before they can get them into showrooms, and by then the fad may be over or gas will be too expensive to justify a pony car purchase. Catch-up is a hard game to play.

I love the way the retro cars look and the fact that cars are finally <span style="font-style: italic">interesting</span> to look at. But I can't help wondering if there are undiscovered shapes out there that look forward instead of backwards for inspiration. Retro is fine for niche vehicles, but the industry seems to be mining the past without thinking about the future. What is this generation's great contribution to design?

Matt--this generation of designers contribution to design-that would be the Aztek. The original Challenger also didn't get to the party until 70-just as the insurance companies and pollution issues made performance very expensive.

If they do like the Magnum and other cars, there will be more economical engines available than the Hemi so fuel mileage might not be a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is this generation's great contribution to design? </div></div>

as far as i can see, there isn't any - at least not yet; or not from the domestic or japenese industry! ... {think citroen! no one designs and builds cars like our beloved French cousins} grin.gif

... although i have to admit i like the challenger - especially its 66 charger like tailights

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you see the Camarro concept? U - G - L - Y. GM is screwed. </div></div>

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying ugly, as opposed to what's on the road these days and selling in huge numbers. I kind of like it, though not as much as the Dodge.

As far as making the Challenger a convertible option, I don't think Chrysler would miss a beat in that direction.

Pricewise, probably near the Mustang figures.

Matt, it all goes back to the old saying "the more things change, they more they stay the same."

This really started about 15 years ago.

- In the early 90's, the Dodge Viper looked like a modern day Shelby.

- Then came the Plymouth Prowler that was made to look like an early 30's coupe/street rod.

- Near 2001 Chrysler came out with the PT-cruiser to look like a late 30's sedan.

- Around 2002, Ford came out with the Thunderbird that was made to look like the 55 Thunderbird.

- About the same time GM came out with the SSR pickup that was made to look like a '50 Chevy pickup.

- In 2005 Ford came out with the new Mustang, made to look like the 1969-1970 Mustangs.

- Now you have the new Dodge Challenger.

Looking at the whole picture you've had new cars resemble body styles over the last 70 years. It makes you wonder when they'll start messing with the Corvette, or if Chevy will try to bring back a new version of the Chevelle, or the ever popular '57's.

(Sorry to digress, folks) This is the only way I can make contact with Joe as he has no e-mail in his profile...

Joe...click on the "flashing little envelope" at the top of your screen. It is a PM from me.

Peter J.

Guest Dave Mills

Mopar got this one right (unlike the Charger), Ford did well with the Mustang, Chevy still has a little way to go. There will be a Challenger in my garage.

Guest Skyking
Mopar got this one right (unlike the Charger), Ford did well with the Mustang, Chevy still has a little way to go. There will be a Challenger in my garage. [/quote

Dave your right about the Charger, they should have given it a different name. Even-though, for a 4 door, it's a mean looking car that I wouldn't mind owning. As far as I'm concerened all of Chrysler's line ups are winners. I've owned 3 of their products and have been very satisfied. One of them was an '89 LeBaron convertible which my son owns now with 150,000 miles + and still has most of the original components including the complete exhaust system.

It's a "future" antique?!?!? smirk.gif People buy cars new and hold them until they are so it is all that farfetched.

Okay, it is stretching it a bit to put it here but since the basement is closed to a lot of people they wouldn't get to see it if he posted it there. And it seems that many have enjoyed seeing it and reading the information.

Guest imported_Joe Kieliszek

Hello,

With some different rear quarter panels, tailights, and grille

it could easily be a retro cuda..

Thanks,

Joe Kieliszek grin.gif

Guest imported_Packards1

Maybe a cool looking 2008 car can also be judged at one of our meets. "It doesn't hurt anything" And the parts can be sold at Hershey. "It doesn't hurt anything"