Most mileage on a set of spark plugs

DizzyDale

Seems everyone[West] is searching for off the wall topics to post on so here is mine.I put a set of AC plugs in my 100,000 mile Astro van 190,000 miles ago and it has NOT missed a beat and gets over 20 MPG shocked.gif!!!!!!SOMEBODYS gotta BEAT that.Gotta love that electronic ignition.diz smile.giflaugh.gif

When I was driving a 1972 Cutlass as my everyday car I put in new spark plugs when I bought it at 99,000 miles. At about 170,000 miles one cold winter day it refused to start and I had to replace the plugs again. The plugs looked awful.

My company truck is a 1996, F250, 460CI. It now has 178,000 miles. Original spark plugs. I know two just blew out. The plug rusted around the ceramic and blew out. Mechanic told me bring it back when the next 6 blow.

10 miles to the gallon, passes everyting on the road but a gas station.

greg

Dear Greg,How much mad.gif FUN mad.gif did he have getting the remains out of the head?460s are famous for that part about NOT passin the gas station.I had a couple of Chevy trucks i used for towing both had 454s and it did not matter if they were empty or towing the magic number was ALWAYS 10 MPG.diz smile.gif

Geeeeezzzz - no wonder I have trouble finding nice plugs for my collection!

Actually, I agree with West-I disposed of a 1990 Plymouth Voyager a few years ago with about 245,000 miles on it and the back set of plugs had been replaced once at about 60,000 miles but only as a preventive maintenance item. I vowed never to do that again and didnt!

Terry

Wes you like the this" Test?

My friend Dodge one ton truck year 1996 has gone over 600,000 miles and he yet to change the a spark plug

Down

Down

Down

Yes, In Dodge one ton cummings diesel, uses grid heater in place of glow plugs, Sorry i couldn't resist. After Packard the Dodge diesel truck are running in a close second. And a lot cheaper to get up to 500 HP.

Well Diz we are lucky to have a really good mechanic we can take our stuff to. He had 5 hours getting the first one out, about 3 on the next one. I wished I would have saved the pieces, it would have been a nice addition to a collection!