1955 Buick Dynaflow Transmission Fluid

klynnbig

• 5 years later...

I know this sounds stupid but when checking the trans fluid in my 55 Buick dynaflo does it need to be in gear. It seems to want to leak it out if I check it while in park and add to it if its low.

I know this sounds stupid but when checking the trans fluid in my 55 Buick dynaflo does it need to be in gear. It seems to want to leak it out if I check it while in park and add to it if its low.

Check the Transmission fluid with the transmission in park, with the engine running. No question is stupid. As stated above, you need a ling thin necked funnel.

klynnbig, I'm not sure why all of these Martians are having such a hard time with LONG-NOSED FUNNEL, but that is indeed what you need.

AWBE Re: 1955 Buick Dynaflow Transmission Fluid

<hr style="" size="1"> Back of the engine there is tube that comes up with a cap to check fluid level.

You have a lond pointed nose fennel to put it in there.

HAHaHA!:)

I need spel chek.

Maybe he understood what we were saying?

What's even funnier is that; AWBE is my Dad.

I guess he needs spel chek ,to (?)

AWBE Re: 1955 Buick Dynaflow Transmission Fluid

<hr style="" size="1"> Back of the engine there is tube that comes up with a cap to check fluid level.

You have a lond pointed nose fennel to put it in there.

HAHaHA!:)

What's even funnier is that; AWBE is my Dad.

I guess he needs spel chek ,to (?)

Well alright!!! I've been wonderin if that is Joe's 55 in your avatar. So how the heck is Joe, haven't heard from him in a while. Man he is proud of that 76R. Have you taken it over?

Well alright!!! I've been wonderin if that is Joe's 55 in your avatar. So how the heck is Joe, haven't heard from him in a while. Man he is proud of that 76R. Have you taken it over?

Hello Mr Earl,

Dad is doing well. I've taken over the labor of the car. But, it is Dad's car. Yes he is proud of it. We don't get it out as much as, I'ld like to. I'm planning on a cruise in at the local Krispy Kreme this month. That about as much as we show it here lately, a criuise in now and again.

Bulldog

Sorry for the confusion. I know where the fluid goes in I have the funnel. What I was asking is the fluid level checked while in neutral/park or while in gear with the park brake set. I ask this because I seem to keep overfilling while its in park. I fill it to the full mark then drive it and it leaks out bad when I check it right after driving it it is way over the full mark.

Yes car is warm and running it seems that it will show its full and other times it will not show on the dip stick I add a little (pint) and it overfills and leaks out while driving or at an idle.

Yes car is warm and running it seems that it will show its full and other times it will not show on the dip stick I add a little (pint) and it overfills and leaks out while driving or at an idle.

There is a vent on the top of the tail shaft housing. A plugged vent will cause similar behavior.

Willie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 55 Special

Not sure if this is the thread to do it, but was curious if the 1955 Dynaflow is the same for the Century (322CID engine) and Special

(264 CID engine) models, i.e. are there different calibrations, components, set up?

Thanks, Jeff

A KEY point is that tne transmission must ALSO be at operating temperature, not just the engine. Their temperatures might generally parallel, but not identically. It can take a full 10 miles of highway driving for BOTH to be at complete and stable "operating temperature". Therefore, you might actually be filling the transmission while it's still somewhat cool and the added fluid expands and "leaks". The vent Old-Tank mentioned should be investigated, also.

Many might like to have the fluid at "FULL", but in reality, it's better if it's somewhere between "ADD" and "FULL", when full operating temperature is achieved. This will leave room for some expansion should you need to have some heavy acceleration (or hill-retard decelleration, which heats the fluid MORE than if under power) or drive in varied terrain.

The level will naturally vary with ambient temperature, too. So, I'd aim more for mid-level on the grid on the dipstick (between "ADD" and "FULL") rather than having it right at "FULL". But still check the vent that Old-Tank mentioned to see if it's "clear" and not clogged with accumulations from the many years of operation.

Certainly, DynaFlows are historically known for their "leaks", but I suspect many of those might be addressed with more modern gasket/sealing orientations . . . except possibly for the torque ball seal (which somebody posted a fix that seemed to be really good).

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467