Help please! Ford BB Fire Truck

Dhibfd

Hello. This is my first time posting here and I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else.

My name is Daniel. I am an Engineer Paramedic for the Imperial Beach Fire-Rescue Department. Imperial Beach is my hometown, and I have located our original fire engine. This project is near and dear to my heart. The only reason for blacking out the owner information on the pink slip is the vehicle is not registered to me and I would like to respect the owners privacy. As for this project I was told that if I can source 6 wheels it would show the owner that I am serious about restoring it and he would be willing to donate it back to the fire department where we plan to have it properly restored and used for parade and display purposes.  I’m also looking for any information one could provide on this vehicle. I don’t have much information but I will attach the photos of what I do have.

thank you so much for your help and patience as I navigate this project.

CORRECTION THE PINK SLIP IS WRONG. THIS IS A 1934.IMG_1503.jpeg.5024dc7e017c123552b4909737baeb39.jpegIMG_9381.jpeg.3d25c201fe252215c90f79a2f27a32a2.jpegIMG_6556.jpeg.db89e90ae2cb25b2b4c862cf61185f01.jpeg

Edited by Dhibfd (see edit history)

• Dhibfd changed the title to Help please! Ford BB Fire Truck

I believe all 1930-1934 Ford Trucks used the same wheel bolt pattern. Yours would be considered Ford BB Truck. 1930-1931 was Model AA and could use the same wheel. You may find help at aa-fords.com and there is a wealth of knowledge at fordgarage.com.

Frank

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, R Walling said:

Why the big secret on the ownership papers?

The more that others know about you and your fire department the more help you will receive.

Many people will donate if they know it is for a good cause.

My name is Daniel. I am an Engineer Paramedic for the Imperial Beach Fire-Rescue Department. Imperial Beach is my hometown, and this project is near and dear to my heart. The only reason for blacking out the owner information on the pink slip is the vehicle is not registered to me and I would like to respect the owners privacy. As for this project I was told that if I can source 6 wheels it would show the owner that I am serious about restoring it and he would be willing to donate it back to the fire department where we plan to have it properly restored and used for parade and display purposes. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dhibfd said:

My name is Daniel. I am an Engineer Paramedic for the Imperial Beach Fire-Rescue Department. Imperial Beach is my hometown, and this project is near and dear to my heart. The only reason for blacking out the owner information on the pink slip is the vehicle is not registered to me and I would like to respect the owners privacy. As for this project I was told that if I can source 6 wheels it would show the owner that I am serious about restoring it and he would be willing to donate it back to the fire department where we plan to have it properly restored and used for parade and display purposes. 

With that statement, I am sure that you will have a set of wheels donated in very short time. 

(keep us notified of your progress)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dhibfd said:

This photo is 34 years old and the wheels have since gone missing

It was one of the photos you posted, I made it easier to see by rotating it.  It’s easier for me to see the wheel details this way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

Probably the only items you’ll have a hard time finding will be the fire pump and transfer case. Pretty much everything else can be found or made. 
Who is the manufacturer?

Mike

I have all that the only thing I can’t find anywhere is these rims! It is an 1932 ford BB

Daniel, your truck appears to be a 1934 model. The full floating rear axle and front axle hubcaps are the give away. The slanted radiator is another clue.  No Ford truck wheels prior to 1934 will fit the full floating axle. Where is Imperial Beach ?

2 hours ago, Steve S. in PA said:

Daniel, your truck appears to be a 1934 model. The full floating rear axle and front axle hubcaps are the give away. The slanted radiator is another clue.  No Ford truck wheels prior to 1934 will fit the full floating axle. Where is Imperial Beach ?

That’s strange because the pink slip states 32. Why would that be?  Imperial Beach is the most Southwesterly city in the continental United States. We are the southern tip of San Diego County.

Hi Daniel,

I have these 20" wheels. Two are 4" wide between the edges,one is BUDD,I think the other is also but can't read it. The other is a Goodyear 6" wide and appears to be dated 2-48. All are 20" and 5 on 8 1/2 hole pattern. The one Budd has a continuous lockring and the other probably would too. There are two other continuous lockrings and one split,not sure what the wide one used. These are all good dry country wheels with maybe light pitting. I'm afraid my hobby has to pay for itself and I'm not in a position where I can donate them. Would sell for $150 each boxed plus shipping. I can throw in all the extra lockrings.

Note: I know exactly where Imperial Beach is being stationed at North Island Naval Air Station for two years working on 9 cylinder radial airplane engines. Me and a couple other guys rented a house a block and a half from the pier in IB. Loved it. 1966-68. Is IB officially the most SW city now,seems like San Ysidro claimed that for awhile.

Steve G.

Cheyenne,Wyo

IMG_4180.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

I wonder if a 1934, full floating rear end was installed at some point to take advantage of the more durable rear hubs. It would probably be virtually a bolt in on a otherwise standard 1932 BB chassis . It would make sense on something like a Fire Truck that would probably be in service for many years.

Otherwise if the truck actually is a 1934 as Steve in PA suggests , perhaps a local Fire Dept. had a 1932 Ford and a 1934 Ford and over time the paperwork has become mis matched. Does the serial number on the Title show up anywhere on the truck itself ?

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...