1935 Hupmobile, not mine.

Hope it finds a restorer, these cars are extremely scarce.  The Production Figures Book for U.S. Cars by Jerry Heasley list calendar year production for the 1934 Series 421-J at 2,264 and the 1935 Series 521-J at 224.  The engine is a 245-cid L-head six-cylinder, on a 121" wheelbase.  Known as the Aerodynamic Hupmobiles, these were the second design by Raymond Loewy for Hupmobile following the 'cycle-fender' Hupps of 1932-'34.

Photos for the record.

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX a1.jpg

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX a.jpg

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX b.jpg

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX c.jpg

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX d.jpg

'35 Hupmobile 521-J TX e.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Once I inquired about a couple of these

"Aerodynamic Hupmobiles" for sale.

Their frontal styling is advanced and

very good looking.  In doing my research,

I talked to a Hupp descendant, still

named Hupp, involved in antique cars

and especially Hupmobiles.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roysboystoys said:

Given all the other choices in 1935 , I see why they only sold 224.

Do you mean on looks alone, or on

a reason more substantial?  There were

6-cylinder cars as well as the 8-cylinder.

This looks like the 8-cylinder car, which

to my knowledge were the only ones with the

unusual 3-piece windshield.  I heard that the

windshield wipers therefore missed part of

the driver's field of vision!

1 hour ago, roysboystoys said:

Anyone know the price difference between this and a Ford sedan in 1935?

Different price classes, Ford ($635) competed directly with:

1935 Ford Deluxe Fordor sedan, 221-cid L-head V8 85hp, 112" wb. $635,

1935 Chevrolet Master Deluxe ED four-door sedan, 207-cid, OHV Six-cylinder 80hp, 113" wb. $640

1935 Plymouth Deluxe PJ four-door sedan, 201-cid, L-head Six-cylinder 82hp, 113" wb. $660).

Hupmobile competed in the medium-priced segment with:

1935 Hupmobile Series 521-J four-door sedan, 245-cid L-head six-cylinder 101hp, 121" wb. $1,095.

1935 Packard 120 four-door touring sedan, 257-cid L-head eight-cylinder 110hp, 120" wb. $1,095.

1935 Chrysler Airstream Deluxe CZ four-door touring sedan, 274-cid L-head eight-cylinder 105hp, 121" wb. $1,015.

1935 Buick Series 50 four-door touring sedan, 235-cid OHV eight-cylinder 88hp, 119" wb. $1,190.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

This looks like the 8-cylinder car, which

to my knowledge were the only ones with the

unusual 3-piece windshield.  I heard that the

windshield wipers therefore missed part of

the driver's field of vision!

John:
Grappling with the Depression-diminished sales, Hupmobile kept trying to find model combinations that could be low-priced enough to attract more buyers.  At the same time, they still had tooling that had to be amortized so they continued assembling prior models along with the latest Aerodynamics.  Managing production of six different 1934-'35 models must have been a logistical nightmare, simplified somewhat when the cycle-fender models ended after 1934.  At least there was commonality of powertrains among the various models.  

Initially, the "Pilothouse" windshield was the only style for 1934 but in an effort to offer a lower-priced Aerodynamic for 1935, they came up with the six-cylinder, flat-windshield 518-D, the others continued the 3-piece configuration.  The 521-J had the six-cylinder with "Pilothouse", additionally the same car was offered as the 521-O with the 303-cid L-head straight eight for $1,195, generated all of 324 sales.
Steve

Hupmobile Spotter's Guide b.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added photo for clarification. (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Forty years ago, Horne's Cars of Yesterday in Sarasota FL had one in it's museum and was auctioning it off.

I really wanted it, a nice finished car that sold above my ability to buy, but still reasonable.    It's always been one

that got away.   I had a finished 1931 Model A, a finished 1934 V8 Ford, and 1915 Model T in progress and no space,

but  I wanted it anyway.   It was a different looking car in a creamy yellow tan.