For Sale - 1922 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost Springfield Roadster (auction, salvage)

Ok, how often does this occur? A Copart flood car. I think from an earlier (pre-cleaned up photo) water made it to the running boards and maybe a little higher but possibly not onto floorboards. Probably needs wheel bearings, brakes, clutch and perhaps fuel tank serviced (well at least that's what I'd hope) Call your broker to bid. More photos at: https://www.copart.com/lot/64605244/salvage-1922-rolls-royce-ghost

rolls1.jpg

rolls2.jpg

rolls3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kar3516 said:

Wonder what the reserve number is?

Says the buy it now number is $110k.  

Really neat and looks nice but I wouldn’t touch it unless I knew the whole story.  The RR community isn’t that big, person or persons knows what happened and why it went to the insurance company.   (Over insured?) 

I know that RRs are not as valuable as people might think but what would it take to make it whole again? (Touring condition) 

Maybe Ed knows the story? 

The serial number 353KG says that it was made in 1923 and originally carried a “limo” body.  The Piccadilly body is the third one installed…..

I should have mentioned I have no affiliation or financial interest....also don't know the story. However if you search online that car came up in a 1996 article from the RREC (I think) stating an enthusiast owned it along with maybe 8 others (with serial numbers listed) in his lifetime. There's one picture online of it driving but undated although it looks the same.

• Like 1

-No idea where you are seeing 'pre clean up photos'.

-What is wrong with body, looks pretty nice to me.

-Carpet doesnt look stained, hard to see any water damage on the body, seems odd someone would take an insurance payout on this car. Unless it was insured for 500k and its currently only worth 200k?

-Not sure of the stigma with a rebuilt title on this one, especially if it has already been rebodied multiple times. I would imagine someone in this league could easily afford to strip it down and fix anything water damage related.

Above my pay grade, just curious.

7 hours ago, TAKerry said:

-No idea where you are seeing 'pre clean up photos'.

-What is wrong with body, looks pretty nice to me.

-Carpet doesnt look stained, hard to see any water damage on the body, seems odd someone would take an insurance payout on this car. Unless it was insured for 500k and its currently only worth 200k?

-Not sure of the stigma with a rebuilt title on this one, especially if it has already been rebodied multiple times. I would imagine someone in this league could easily afford to strip it down and fix anything water damage related.

Above my pay grade, just curious.

Almost every Brewster body has perfect lines.  I see no side view of that car but the 3/4 view makes me wonder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Copart will "enhance" some of it's offerings (but not all) by cleaning. There is a photo on the web from another source taken from the rear 3/4 whereby mud/dirt can be see on the rear aspects of the outside of the fenders as they curl up. Also dirt on the whitewalls a little above the rim is seen as well, now not obvious. I presume that is the waterline. On newer vehicles Copart, and others, will often delineate it but not here. I thus assume it was not entirely submerged, only maybe by 2 feet - enough for an insurance claim, maybe to get better value than trying to outright sell but who knows? I agree a salvage title means little. My state won't offer one for this and likewise probably wont need the one held presently for registration purposes. The only "hurt" to this is the presence of photos on the web with corresponding factory number memorializing this whole episode.

• Like 1

I know very little about Ghosts, but what I do know is that they did not make left hand drive in 1922, I would guess this is a 1925 built in Springfield with a either phantom one body or one of the many reproduction roadster body’s, as it has a side door for the rumble seat which I have not seen on Ghosts before, i could be wrong

• Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 7:12 PM, alsancle said:

Something is wrong with that body.

image.jpeg.e577670a910c350e60f99e66f44d815f.jpeg

A.J.:

It does look a bit disjointed, like it was originally an open front town car where they retain the forward portion through the doors, grafted on a low deck with rumble seat with right side access door.   I'd opine the windshield height was cut down somewhat as well.

Steve

'22 RR Copart a.jpg

'22 RR Copart c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 4:28 PM, edinmass said:

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Rolls-Royce. 

Ed,

Actually there is, a cheap older Ferrari!!!! I speak from an empty wallet experience. Got a Ferrari 308gtsi at auction for $565.00. That was the lest expensive part of the deal. The engine alone was nearly $15,000 grand, not to mention the body rust and rot. 

brasscarguy 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

It looks like someone bought it and is now flipping online for more money without providing additional "value"...what else is new? Engine stated to not turn over but unclear if that means it's stuck. More photos of body with Brewster plaque. Seats look re-done, not sure what else....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/356126188076?_skw=rolls-royce+ghost&itmmeta=01JAEHJG8ZENFEGXDCWACEJBH0&hash=item52eac6622c:g:xy8AAOSwJOFnBFtn

I can think of a million ways to ruin my life faster and easier for way less money than buying this car. 

• Haha 1