RM Sotheby’s to auction cars from the Klein collection on Oct. 26. including Grand Prix driver Rudolf Caracciola’s 1935 Mercedes 500 K Special Coupe, a rare 1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL “Gullwing” (with alloy bodywork), and many more.

What makes this car so valuable is that it was a gift from Damiler Benz to Rudolf Caracciola who was one of the most famous GP driver prior to WWII.   They only built one.  It is a coupe version of the first Special Roadster configuration.   It originally had double rear spares.   Also, it has not been seen in 50 years.   Unfortunately for the new owner it won Pebble Beach in 1971.

image.jpeg.5d275b98ca23c52aea1c3e424930ecc9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

The cars from this auction are going to bring huge money, condition notwithstanding. The only thing left for high-end collectors in this day and age is the "story." There are hundreds of rich guys who can afford any Gullwing they want. There is only one that has this car's story. When money becomes meaningless, the only way to do better than the next guy is to have a better story. And the story on these cars is fantastic. They will bring eye-popping prices.

• Like 8

Stunning is over used, but it applies here. An unrestored alloy Gullwing and Caracciola's 500K. 

Probably going to be some records set....

On 8/22/2024 at 9:32 PM, alsancle said:

That 500 K is going to bring 6-8 million bucks. Maybe more.

IMG_5416.jpeg

I don't know a thing about car collecting, but if it is worth all that, why didn't the owner put a tarp on it to keep it cleaner?

Why is it being auctioned with all the dirt on it? Why didn't they clean it up? Is it worth more with the original patina?

As a sidenote, I remember that name Rudi Klein from when I lived in L.A. back in the 1970s / 80s. An old gal I knew tried to get some parts for her Mercedes from Klein. Said he was an ahole to deal with.  I never dealt with him, so no idea what he was like. 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 9:32 PM, alsancle said:

That 500 K is going to bring 6-8 million bucks. Maybe more.

IMG_5416.jpeg

Would the car collector restore this themselves or hire a professional?

About what does it cost to restore this if a professional is hired? I'm thinking people with this much $ would hire someone to do it. 

4 hours ago, Ed Luddy said:

I'd like to have a savable 356 but I'm sure they will be bid into the stratosphere. Would love to just trip thru that yard!

356 prices are kinda crazy. Depending on your definition of "savable" I think you'd be somewhere north of $50K. It doesn't make "cents" when a decent driver 356B can still be found for about $80K. I saw a wrecked shell sell a few months ago for $25K where the only usable part was the title! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DDTJRAC said:

Would the car collector restore this themselves or hire a professional?

About what does it cost to restore this if a professional is hired? I'm thinking people with this much $ would hire someone to do it. 

If anyone other than 5 or 6 shops in the world touches this car it will be destroyed.   Figure about 1.5 million plus to restore it correctly although restoration costs are skyrocketing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Figure about 1.5 million plus to restore it correctly although restoration costs are skyrocketing.

Gee, I'd better get my Vega coupe into the shop before I can't afford to have it restored!

image.jpeg.61b6b769032aec078c211346e3fe93c4.jpeg

• Haha 1