Make and year of automobile at hunting lodge?

RR08

Wealthy northeasterners at a North Carolina hunting lodge. Interested in dating the photograph. Can someone determine the make and year of the automobile in the driveway.

Lodge Guests 3.jpg

Don't think it is 34 Plym but could be a 33, which has the more rounded top of the grille shell.  If I am seeing it correctly, there appears to be a front fender line on the side without skirts, which would distinguish a 33 from a 34.  Bumper guards look more like 33s (or at least like very early 34s, such as on the 34 sedan pictured--my 34 sedan was the 200th built in Los Angeles and it had those larger bumper guards).  Headlights also seem to sit a little high, which is more like a 33.  Photo attached here is a 33 Plym sedan.  

10437344-1933-plymouth-model-pd-deluxe-4-door-sedan-std.jpg

• Like 3

The photo is in front of Pine Needles in Pleasant Garden. I estimated the date as Feb 1934 based on the age of people known in the photograph and, of course, the snow. Could the car be a Dodge rather than a Plymouth? What would have been the differences?

Thank you all for your responses. Your knowledge has been of great value in my research.

• Like 2

https://theoldhouselife.com/2019/02/08/previously-a-hunting-lodge-ten-bedrooms-and-four-acres-in-nc-circa-1912-269900/

Looks like the same property, for sale in 2019. PG is in Guilford County, south of Greensboro. Heavily developed area now.

A little history on the Piedmont NC Lodges:

https://www.highpointnc.gov/Blog.aspx?IID=112

Read thru it and you'll find some early automobile people were involved in the lodges.

Rockettraider, my wife is the great granddaughter of the superintendent and matron of Pine Needles, positions her great grandparents held for more than 40 years. She collected memorabilia and documents through the years beginning in her childhood and we are completing a book on the history of Pine Needles with the help of the members of the Antique Automobile Club of America. Her great great grandparents sold half the land to the proprietor in 1912 that became the holdings of the hunting lodge. In the photo, her grandmother is being held by the proprietor, a New York financier. You are correct - there is no quail range left in Guilford. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardly any quail ranges left anywhere. People in Virginia/NC middle border counties are trying to re-establish them here. We were making good progress until the coyotes came.

One of the most popular exhibits at the County's annual Heritage Festival is the quail hatchery sponsored by the Extension Service and the local Quail Unlimited groups. A neighbor is repurposing part of his 1200 acre farm as bobwhite habitat. I hear them calling infrequently the last couple years, but for nearly 30 years you never heard one. My Mama could call them up.

Last time I hunted quail I was 12 years old. Brought home 13 birds. My parents invited the neighbors for quail supper.

13 quail should have been plenty for 6 people, but one of the neighbors ate 5 by himself. Meaning I, who had provided the feast, had to eat hotdogs for supper. 

Take it you've been in contact with the General Greene Chapter AACA?

• Like 1

Dodge and Plymouth were very similar during that time.... 

the windshield does not look right for a Buick and the hood side would have horizontal trim that would show in the photo

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

No contact with General Greene chapter.

Are you from Guilford? Here is a photo of my wife’s grandfather with a mess of partridges from late 1960, taken 1.5 mi SE of the lodge. He married the daughter of the Pine Needle's superintendent and was the county clerk of courts for 38 years. Although now frowned upon, they transported their dogs in the car trunk.

Joe Shore with Mess of Partridges, ~1960.jpg

• Like 2

https://generalgreene.org/ 

GGC website includes a list of other contiguous AACA groups in the Greensboro/Triad area. They may also have pertinent info for you. Good group of people.

I'm roughly 50 miles north of Greensboro, in Halifax County VA along the VA/NC border near Milton. Reasonably familiar with Greensboro though I'm not there as often as I was.