1922 Duesenberg Model A Phaeton

If I ever won the lottery (unlikely since I don't play) this would be an early purchase! Much more in the true vision of Fred and Auggie than the model J.  £425,000 = $545,000              (much more info in the ad) 

https://vandp.net/sales/2577/1922-duesenberg-model-a-phaeton-by-millspaugh-irish-for-sale

This car is absolutely in as new condition & after restoration was shown at Pebble beach.  It is simply pristine & ready to take part & have a chance of winning at any concours it is entered in.

The engine starts instantly & is silent in operation yet also very powerful.  The car as a whole drives beautifully & is streets ahead of other cars of the period, Rolls Royce included.  It is currently on USA Papers as a temporary import.

duesenberg-model-a-phaeton-by-millspaugh-amp-irish-1919-1930.jpgduesenberg-model-a-phaeton-by-millspaugh-amp-irish-1919-1930.jpgduesenberg-model-a-phaeton-by-millspaugh-amp-irish-1919-1930.jpgduesenberg-model-a-phaeton-by-millspaugh-amp-irish-1919-1930.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
left out a word (see edit history)
  • Like 11

56 minutes ago, 28StutzCabriolet said:

Stainless steel spokes and plated lock rings are repulsive to my eye. 

I agree on the stainless spokes.  

Many early cars had plated lock rings, I believe most were cadmium so not quite as shiny nor “in your face” as chrome.  

Chromed anything would  be incorrect for this car.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, 28StutzCabriolet said:

The wheels don't look right  for sure.  But otherwise not a bad looking car.    Don't be fooled by the Duesenberg name.  The engine puts out about 40% of the power of a Model J so not quite the same driving experience.

• Like 3

an exceptional/interesting car.  But if my budget is 425,000 pounds for an early 20's American touring or Phaeton, this isn't what I'd choose.  No slight against this Duesenberg.  At the asking price there are some choices that would be significantly more desirable to me.  However, this is still a great car.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Don't be fooled by the Duesenberg name.  The engine puts out about 40% of the power of a Model J so not quite the same driving experience

Probably quite true, but it’s a 1922 car. Isn’t this like comparing a Ford flathead V8 to a Boss 302?  

I mean you gotta start somewhere and wasn’t this Fred & Auggie’s first attempt at putting a racing engine on the street?

How does a first version Duesenburg compare with other early 20s performance cars?  (An era that is overshadowed by the 30s big cars). 

Half the power? It also seems to be about half the price of a J.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 28StutzCabriolet said:

I totally agree. Usually, I like the model A Duesenbergs over the model J any day. (It is an "era" thing!) I don't know the car, don't know whether the color is wrong or not, although I basically cannot imagine it could have been painted that way in 1922? I don't like the color and don't like the wheels. Otherwise it would be a great early 1920s automobile!

I guess it is a good thing I will never be in the market for one?

Colors on the car would have been period but the wheels are what is drawing your eye away from the overall look and the sphere shape in the bright glitz fashion just do the rest of the car an injustice. A current "trend" to draw attention on a century old style just doesn't work. It is like aluminum siding on a grand old Victorian house. Huh?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, m-mman said:

Probably quite true, but it’s a 1922 car. Isn’t this like comparing a Ford flathead V8 to a Boss 302?  

I mean you gotta start somewhere and wasn’t this Fred & Auggie’s first attempt at putting a racing engine on the street?

How does a first version Duesenburg compare with other early 20s performance cars?  (An era that is overshadowed by the 30s big cars). 

Half the power? It also seems to be about half the price of a J.  

The Duesenberg story is really overshowed by the glitz of the Model J, but that car was a result of E. L. Cord's control of the company. 

From the beginning of their automotive career up to that point, they were just a couple of guys with a lot of ideas and very few resources to carry them out. A "Duesenberg day" was to work 18 hours, a "Duesenberg milling machine" was a hack saw, and a "Duesenberg hose clamp" was a twisted piece of safety wire. To me, their underdog struggles are what makes the pre-J cars so appealing. 

• Like 1