1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible, - $10,000

Seems like it might not be too bad, but you can't tell much from the pictures. (more in ad) 

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/cto/d/grass-valley-1954-packard-caribbean/7770350237.html

A 1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible classic. This rare model has a turquoise & white exterior with a white interior and turquoise seat trim.
- Chrome details, including rare finned headlights.
- Original straight-eight engine. Automatic. Currently not operating but engine is free.
- Interior and convertible cover needs restoration.
- Mechanics on convertible top are functioning.
- Clean title and registration to be renewed by seller.
- Appraised between $15k-$20k. Report is available upon request. (Asking price is well below its market value to allow for restoration costs.)  With only 400 Caribbeans produced this model year, this is a great opportunity for a car collector to restore this beautiful classic Packard.  text: (650) 260-8453

1954 Packard Caribbean Convertible, Chrome Trim 100H0H_2W0KJeQFVLo_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00L0L_1Ez60X0EaTf_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00s0s_8g2qHjaDf8F_1320MM_600x450.jpg00s0s_12XUjmfefjm_1320MM_600x450.jpg

I think it's legit and it might be a good start that's fairly priced but this car is going to need a lot of work. It's a non-runner that needs a complete interior restoration including a steering wheel and a new top. One of the last CL pictures shows some paint flaws and a lot of pitted chrome in the front bumper and grille area. The ad says the chrome details are there but they really should show some pictures of everything to verify it's 100% complete. And are the parts that aren't attached to the car in good condition? With that low production figure of only 400 cars, maybe if any trim pieces exclusive to the Caribbeans need replaced they might be unobtainium? I'm not a Packard person so I can't say but I'm pretty sure that somebody will be spending a lot of time and money to make this car look presentable, let alone restore it to #1 or #2 condition........There was another very similar 1954 Caribbean in the same colors priced at $53K linked to these same Forums back on July 17 in Ontario, Canada. That nice completed car that's ready to go seems like a much better buy to me. With only 400 of these cars produced (and how many are left?) what are the odds that two identical cars are for sale at the same time and would be linked to the same Antique Car Forum in the same month?   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Interest parties should do an extensive inventory to be absolutely certain that all 1954 Caribbean specific parts are present and included in the sale price.  

The wheel opening trim is made of unobtainium.

• Like 1

For a point of reference,  we sold this running and riving 53 needing a LOT of work for 25K back in 2005.  The 54 is typically thought to be more desirable because of the bigger engine.

53 Packard Caribbean Corner.jpg

53 Packard Caribbean Front.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Den41Buick said:

Yea, remember when the 55-56’s were 100k plus. 

10-15 years ago all the Halo 53/54 cars were bringing big money.  I have noticed the 53 Skylarks have come down to earth too.  Typically these days the market will reward over restored cars,  basically you get 125K for a car you spent 300K restoring.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

If it is real it tells you were the market has gone.  For the last 20 years that was a 15-20K car all day long.

How many of us are left who were around when these "halo" cars were marketed, seen on the street and coveted to one degree or another?

That might have something to do with the current price deflation.

Most current "enthusiasts" weren't even of age when the '60's muscle cars were built.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Reynard said:

How many of us are left who were around when these "halo" cars were marketed, seen on the street and coveted to one degree or another?

That might have something to do with the current price deflation.

Most current "enthusiasts" weren't even of age when the '60's muscle cars were built.

Demographic change will continue to diminish the appeal of all old cars as their decades recede into the past with a few exceptions.  Even the 'halo" cars which were once held in higher desirability will as they become less unknown to the current generation of collectors.   Rarely get to use this phrase but it seems appropriate: "sic transit gloria mundi".

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Demographic change will continue to diminish the appeal of all old cars as their decades recede into the past with a few exceptions.  Even the 'halo" cars which were once held in higher desirability will as they become less unknown to the current generation of collectors.   Rarely get to use this phrase but it seems appropriate: "sic transit gloria mundi".

Yes! I remember being outraged when I saw Beatles records in the Oldie bin. 

17 hours ago, The 55er said:

I think it's legit and it might be a good start that's fairly priced but this car is going to need a lot of work. It's a non-runner that needs a complete interior restoration including a steering wheel and a new top. One of the last CL pictures shows some paint flaws and a lot of pitted chrome in the front bumper and grille area. The ad says the chrome details are there but they really should show some pictures of everything to verify it's 100% complete. And are the parts that aren't attached to the car in good condition? With that low production figure of only 400 cars, maybe if any trim pieces exclusive to the Caribbeans need replaced they might be unobtainium? I'm not a Packard person so I can't say but I'm pretty sure that somebody will be spending a lot of time and money to make this car look presentable, let alone restore it to #1 or #2 condition........There was another very similar 1954 Caribbean in the same colors priced at $53K linked to these same Forums back on July 17 in Ontario, Canada. That nice completed car that's ready to go seems like a much better buy to me. With only 400 of these cars produced (and how many are left?) what are the odds that two identical cars are for sale at the same time and would be linked to the same Antique Car Forum in the same month?   

Heck that Ontario car is still on the market last I checked