1957 Plymouth Savoy 2dr hardtop driver - $27,000

I don't know about the price, but it sure makes a statement! (more pics in ad) 

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/fresno-1957-plymouth-savoy-2dr-hardtop/7761109568.html

1957 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr hardtop
301 v8 Pushbutton 2 speed automatic
Nice driver, looks great from 10’ away. Paint is 30 plus years old with lots of swirl marks. Presentable but not show quality. No power steering, non power drum brakes. Drives nice but has its mopar quirks. Interior is completely redone and looks and feels great.
Brand new Coker radial whitewalls.
Rust free CA car. Get in, drive it and enjoy. Currently registered and tagged. Located in Sanger CA 93657.  $27,000  Call Scott  559-259-80sixnine

1957 Plymouth Savoy 2dr hardtop driver 100D0D_lJwG46dFuVe_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00V0V_4BZz0xPUHOc_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00N0N_f82Tpb1pDH4_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00R0R_etsARCkXEUi_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00x0x_76EEKDIJXgC_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg00k0k_k5fSQK7fAiG_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

• Like 3

IMO this car is quite overpriced for its condition. For the price it shouldn't be a ten footer and I don't know what Mopar quirks the seller is talking about. It either operates properly or it doesn't.       It's offered for sale on Craigslist for $27K and on Ebay with a Buy It Now of $26.5K. I'll be watching the Ebay auction and it will be interesting to see what all the worldwide bidders think it's worth.

• Like 5

I had a college room mate in the 60's that took his car to TJ for a cheap upholstery job. They stopped to eat in San Diego on the way home and someone broke into the car and ripped a seat cushion open, no doubt to retrieve something they wanted to get across the border undetected. 

• Haha 1

Think I've owned some sort of "Mopar" near continuously since 1963, number totaling in the dozens.  1917 through corporate takeovers.   I'm going to take a stab at defining these "quirks" relevant to a '57 model.

For many years after Chrysler introduced their power steering in '51, their cars were "over-assisted" (too light feel) in my opinion.   Except this car is NON-power steering.

Also their power brakes are purposefully soft to the touch ending up with a pedal that even in best adjustment is "firm" too close to the floor.  Except this car is NON-power brake.

So, I don't know what he is talking about.  Might be a "Chevys RULE" guy?

Other than those two quick thoughts, EVERY manufacturer, often in groups of years and/or models, has QUIRKS.

• Like 2

Overall not a bad looking car, I dont see a problem with the upholstery, at least there is something in there that is not in tatters. I know nothing about these but it looks like a base model car to  begin with. The asking price should reflect a perfect example or better! This one is far from that.

The 1957 Savoy line was Plymouth's medium price model. Market-wise it was similar to a 1957 Chevy 210 or a Ford Custom 300. IMO this one is a little too incorrect and  "personalized" to be worth anywhere the asking price. Many 1957 Plymouths came with cloth seats, maybe the higher priced Belvederes had cloth and vinyl. Of course there were 1957 Plymouth Fury coupes but those were an exclusive somewhat limited production model. None of them had a rolled & pleated all-vinyl interior. They didn't have red carpeted trunks and gas filler tubes either, probably just mats or coverings on the trunk floor. The air cleaners were all black, not red & white. One major drawback here is the condition of the 30-year old paint on the hood. It's shot, the life's out of it and there's no way to bring it back. And it's a good bet the roof and trunk lid are just as bad. The outside mirror isn't correct for the car either. I just think with a fairly common model like this, the farther you go from originality the less it's worth. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

55er - you always have sage comments we can all learn from and excellent observations of condition from your obvious extensive experience with that era of car. THANK YOU.

Walt

• Like 2