What engine is this?

I bought a street rod with this engine in it. The car was built in 1988. Can any body here tell me what engine this is and where I can find any identification numbers on it?

I’m trying to put new spark plug wires and am told to get carbon core wires. Two of the ones there have payed against the exhaust manifold and melted/burned through. I’m thinking of getting straight boots instead of the 90 degree ones to keep this from happening again.

IMG_5640.jpeg

IMG_5639.jpeg

IMG_5638.jpeg

IMG_5636.jpeg

IMG_5635.jpeg

IMG_5634.jpeg

Not 100% certain, but the pictures of the distributor cap suggest this is an odd-fire V6.  The link below should help determine whether you have a 225 or 231.  I had a '77 Century with the 231 and it certainly has an odd feel; but was a dead-reliable engine.

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/differences-between-the-225-3-7-and-the-231-3-8-odd-fire-v6-motors.25112/

• Like 1

It does look like the 231 ci  V6 engine that became designated as the 3.8 (I believe the 3.1 engine was the same basic engine) at some point and was used as both a rear drive and front wheel drive motor. 

Throw a turbo on it and it becomes a GN engine.   In 1988 it was revised with a balance shaft and then designated as the 3800. 

Here is the info from Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2024 at 8:53 AM, yachtflame said:

Thank you guys for helping me out. Any idea where the identification numbers might be? I’ll need to make a book detailing all the different parts used when the car was built.

Stuff left in someone's head.

My wife recently made a comment on my good memory. I told her there is lots of information stored there. But the thoughts are quite shallow and everything is right near the surface for quick retrieval.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at this just for grins.  What I see is about an early 1980s Buick V-6, which has the "1/2 a QJet" 2bbl carb and intake.  The use of that carb would be the earliest date of the engine, which MIGHT be 1979, but probably a year or so later.  That would most probably be a 3.8L Buick V-6, rather than the later balance-shafted version, I suspect.

Even or odd-fire?  Look at the spacing on the distributor cap.

Other than those visual cues, you could always check the stamp numbers on the:  distributor housing, carburetor ID, and EGR valve ID.  For casting numbers and DATES, probably pull a valve cover (for the cyl heads) and check the casting number and DATE on the cyl block and intake manifold. 

Casting numbers and dates will pre-date the actual machining of the item, sometimes by several months, whereas the stamp numbers would nail it down specifically, in most cases, provided everything is OEM to the engine.  EVERY cast item will always have some ID of the casting itself and date on it.  In the case of cyl blocks, most will also have a stamping of the "Engine's Birth Certificate" on it and also the last digits of the vehicle VIN number on the designated machined pad area, too.   With the decodes of such usually in the front part of the parts book.

Enjoy!

NTX5467  

• Like 2

It seems to me that numbers could be found on a flat surface under the alternator bracket. From what I've seen they are very small stampings in that area. But I am not 100% certain this applies to the v6