wheels restoration

5 hours ago, cquisuila said:

Hello
Please what do you recommend to restore wheels that are a little corroded?

steel wool 000 ?

image.png.418ce3aa8446d596a837559efe73d2e5.png

I have had very good results applying a good metal polish using steel wool instead of a cloth.

Bill

Posted (edited)

I do NOT recommend steel wool...too abrasive IMO as it will leave scratches in the chrome.

If you have some areas where rust has pitted through the chrome to the metal and your trying to eliminate a rust build up or any rust for that matter, use crumbled up aluminum foil and some Evapo-rust. IMO much better to scrub using foil w/Evapo-rust rather than scrubbing dry. Once you've done that, rinse them off good and dry. I've had good results polishing using Maas with the Neverdull wadding or the Maas with a clean rag. Than use clean dry rag to wipe it. 

Edited by atencioee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I’ve used 0000 steel wool on chrome for ages. I’ve never experienced any scratches.  But I cannot say anything about 000 or courser. It’s really hard to find but bronze wool is really good - but it’s quite a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

I’ve used 0000 steel wool on chrome for ages. I’ve never experienced any scratches.  But I cannot say anything about 000 or courser. It’s really hard to find but bronze wool is really good - but it’s quite a bit more expensive.

Chrome plating is very thin as compared to the nickel underneath. You may not have even noticed it. Steel is abrasive to chrome. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chasander said:

One time I tried cleaning up my bumper with tooth paste. Bad idea, took Chrome layer off. 

😑