Did I miss something?  It seems that posting a vehicle/object for sale in the main forum body has become commonplace. I thought there is a section with 'for sale' items. I would guess that those one time posters that do such are not even members of the AACA. To join a forum and have one post become a 'I have such n such for sale' is bad in my opinion. I enjoy reading about 99% of the posts on here but to offer FREE advertising just because is wrong. 

• Like 10
41 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Did I miss something?  It seems that posting a vehicle/object for sale in the main forum body has become commonplace. I thought there is a section with 'for sale' items. I would guess that those one time posters that do such are not even members of the AACA. To join a forum and have one post become a 'I have such n such for sale' is bad in my opinion. I enjoy reading about 99% of the posts on here but to offer FREE advertising just because is wrong. 

I agree.  Either delete the post of a one time poster or move to the for sale area. And I would be more inclined to delete it as it seems to be increasing in number of the one time posts on a for sale of an item.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think these folks sign up but never go past the AACA General forums to see what we actually have. Can't tell you how many times I've "redirected" people to the appropriate Forum.

I don't really mind a misplaced for sale post, but a one-time poster asking "what is it worth" burns me up. Especially if they don't give us pictures or pertinent information about the car. You know in your heart they're fishing for a high figure because they saw one go for big money in the auction circuses.

As I've gotten older I try to be the Southern gentleman I was raised to be, but I often have to chew my tongue to keep from telling some of these folks to call a junkyard and see what a scrap dealer will offer them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

What I see as missed is the wrong forum.  Why not either report it to the Moderators by pressing those three little black dots in the upper right corner of each participants post then tap on “Report” OR post the complaints in the “Forum Questions and Answers” forum?

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

I don't really mind a misplaced for sale post, but a one-time poster asking "what is it worth" burns me up.

I remember being a kid and hearing a great invention would cause people to beat a path to your door. I think of that every time I see one of these innocent question posts. It's marketing. Surely the rare find will sell in hours. The posts are reassuring in a way. Nothing has changed but the date.

• Haha 1

blogmousetrap1963.jpg

A great invention indeed!😃

If we could be sure it was, in fact, an innocent post asking about value, we could overlook it. The post about the Bell Telephone International ladder truck fits there. Yes, it's for sale but the guy asked if we thought it had any possible collector value.

It's when it's a brazen fishing expedition, like so many are, that it becomes bothersome. But that's just me.

• Like 2

My grandfather loved to sell trucks. He looked at them as a rolling business for anyone who owned one. That was in the mid-1960s. He bought a lot of Rochester Telephone trucks when they changed over from IH to Chevies. The '58 -'60 IH's rusted bad. In 5 to 6 years there were gaping holes where the headlight used to be. He did most of his work with a torch so we cut front fenders off any old cars we had and made them fit. We had a piece of wood to mark the center line of the headlights and lots of carriage bolts. I remember a couple if 55-56 Fords that gave up fenders to our endeavor.

When the fenders were secure those brown trucks got a brush coating of resale red enamel. We moved quite a few of them like that.

Once we got in a pretty good Chevy telephone pole truck, something like a C6500. Front and rear winches, hydraulic gate, rack job with a diamond plate bed. I'm thinking like $900 off our lot.  He espoused it's great value as a one man business. Power! Just pull up to a construction site and tell the boss you have Power! Yesterday I was using my Avalanche to roust some steel and material an adjacent lumber company had left in my little woods over 60 years ago. I was remembering Grandpa Jerry and thinking of how much he would like that Avalanche. It's a lot of truck.

The old IH brings back memories but most of my memories are in shallow areas anyway.

• Thanks 1

If (and when) these one time newbies post up and they get their question moved it is my opinion that if a moderator moves said ad it would be prudent to drop that guy a PM and explain what, where and why etc.

I would suspect that some of these "one and done" guys might come back and can't find their query anywhere.

Sending a note might even prod the guy to came back and check it out. Maybe even include the link.

I would think that he may have posted in several places that day and needs to be reminded just how awesome these AACA forums are.

I will on occasion drop a note to some seller that has disappeared and some one that can't PM yet is asking about his ad.

It is all about helping each other right?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JACK M said:

If (and when) these one time newbies post up and they get their question moved it is my opinion that if a moderator moves said ad it would be prudent to drop that guy a PM and explain what, where and why etc.

I would suspect that some of these "one and done" guys might come back and can't find their query anywhere.

Sending a note might even prod the guy to came back and check it out. Maybe even include the link.

I would think that he may have posted in several places that day and needs to be reminded just how awesome these AACA forums are.

I will on occasion drop a note to some seller that has disappeared and some one that can't PM yet is asking about his ad.

It is all about helping each other right?

I disagree.

If I move a post to it's appropriate forum, I'll generally leave a forwarding link.  Even if I dont, I've done the user a favor, not a disservice.

The onus is on the users of this forum to figure out how to use it.  They can still find all their posts on their profile.