72 radiator lacing

By 1931 they were using a neat "press in" rivet, essentially a rivet head with a 3/8" long spiral knurled tapered stem slightly large than the hole, likely tapped in. I removed/pried several from my '31 CD8 and could reuse them if I can find them! Don't know if anyone still makes them, but they are the cat's meow..  

18 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

By 1931 they were using a neat "press in" rivet, essentially a rivet head with a 3/8" long spiral knurled tapered stem slightly large than the hole, likely tapped in. I removed/pried several from my '31 CD8 and could reuse them if I can find them! Don't know if anyone still makes them, but they are the cat's meow..  

These.....

post-81542-0-68537700-1457473219.jpg

5 hours ago, viv w said:

Pretty sure they used split rivets on the radiator shell

I think you are correct. The items I show are for the cowl lacing.

I put new cowl lacing on my 48 DeSoto a few months ago.  I think I bought my lace from Andy Bernbaum many years ago.  It came with the rivets.  AB still sells the lace, but I would call him to see if it comes with rivets.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got some lacing from Mikes Affordable which is 10 min from work and got nickeled bifurcated rivets.

Used an awl to punch holes in the lacing. I used my leather rotary punch first but the awl worked better as you can go through the rivet hole more precisely.

I took one of my finest Chinese pliers and ground a "V" on one set of jaws. Put the rivet thru thru the hole in the lacing and grill and put the pliers in the split on the rivet and squeeze.  

lacing pliers.jpg

lacing pliers 2.jpg

• Like 6