Am I crazy to bid on this?

The cheaper they are to buy the more it will cost to get it road worthy.  So many possibilities of problems with that car it would take a couple of pages to list them.  If this is your first thought of buying an old classic figure out what you might like and then find a club or even a forum to join. The people there will know the ins and outs of the cars you might want and be a better source of knowledge than a general question like your’s would receive. Good luck.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 4

That would explain why the VIN number came back as 

1959 Studebaker Lark Deluxe

2dr Sedan

6-cyl. 170cid/90hp 1bbl

Thank you! I’ll let someone else have fun restoring this car. My dog loves to ride with me and he’d look cool in a car like this! He was a feral dog we found in bad shape near Tucson. Beautiful boy now!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your advice! I’m channeling my dad on this Father’s Day. 

My dad’s hobby was restoring cars. One was a 1954 white jaguar convertible coup. He worked with Carroll Shelby machining parts, Andretti… Once he brought home one of the “Bat Mobiles” to work on. What a disappointment that car was, it didn’t even shoot flames out of the back! So I have wonderful memories of handing him tools while he worked. 
This is my 80 lb. driving buddy Bailey.  He sits behind the seat and always puts one paw on my shoulder. We’ll find a cool car for him. Thanks again! 

IMG_2395.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The C-Body Studebaker Hawks were never engineered as a convertible, have a rather light ladder frame.  In order to make a Hawk an acceptable open car driver, an X-member has to be added to the frame from a Lark station wagon and other re-enforcements added to the body structure.  Cars that were built as coupes but had the top cut off are usually very structurally deficient, sag or pinch at the door jams.  Uneven surfaces may cause the doors to fly open.  Worst of all, without some folding top mechanism at the ready for rain, getting caught in a sudden rainstorm is guaranteed to quickly remove the appeal of any topless car.    It's your choice, but there are pitfalls with type of modification. proceed with caution.

• Like 4

If you are interested in a collectible car take some time to think about what you want and learn something about those cars before looking.  You can post them here and we will give you plenty of feedback for free.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, alsancle said:

If you are interested in a collectible car take some time to think about what you want and learn something about those cars before looking.  You can post them here and we will give you plenty of feedback for free.  

... and unlike FaceBook, the free advice given here is usually worth a LOT more than what you pay.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I applaud your enthusiasm. Honestly I am glad my wife does not share my passion for cars as I am not sure what we would do with 2 of us in the house!

It sounds like you have made a good decision on letting that studebaker go. Sounds like you may be wanting a convertible. I would look at early Thunderbirds late 50's through the early 60's. They have a great style and not quite the price of vettes or mustangs! If you are serious about getting into this crazy hobby def. do some research. Hang around here for awhile and keep you mind open as to what kind of car you may want. I think with all old cars each one has its good and bad. And buy the absolute best you can afford.

• Like 3

If Maurice Schwartz had wielded the hacksaw these guys would be swooning. He did some awful things in his cave.

I drive a car with the roof cut off and really enjoy it. I took it to a car show 7 or 8 years ago. Left early and tend to take long rides in the country.

• Like 2

I could add, for 3k if its mechanically sound could be a fun ride for what it is. As long as the structure is not to wobbly from cutting the roof off. And lose the fender skirts. Buying something like this though, you have to have the mindset that you will own it forever and not care about value as you may be the only person willing to buy a butchered car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you really want a Studebaker and a convertible at the same time, either look at a '47 - '52, or a 1960-'64 Lark/ Daytona convertible which were designed and engineered to be true convertibles.    A V8 would be the-engine-of-choice, given the extra weight of a convertible.

Craig

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Worst of all, without some folding top mechanism at the ready for rain, getting caught in a sudden rainstorm is guaranteed to quickly remove the appeal of any topless car. 

Over the years I have cut the top off a few cars. Usually my thought was that the next owner would be a junkyard. Funny, I sold every one of then and not to a junkyard.

The comment I quoted brings back a 35 or so year old memory. I had a red, topless 1962 Buick Electra 225 six window 4 door hardtop that was finessed into a very deceitful convertible. There was a car show at the other end of town and I was standing in my open garage door looking at a light sprinkle. Off I went anyway hoping it would let up. At the show it started raining harder. A friend's '57 Ford factory convertible was next to me, top up. I slipped inside for some shelter. I might as well have stayed in my car. Water was pouring into the Ford everywhere. It takes a lot to seal up an old car.

Translation: When an old guy tells you he got a car just for fun that means it was really cheap and he thought he was stealing it, found out he got what he paid for or less.

Impulse buys tend to be keepers. Those pragmatic, carefully weighed purchases.... I never kept them long.

• Like 2

I daily drove a '64 Malibu SS Convertible for many years, rain or shine.

While it would not seal completely if you sprayed the water hose directly at the side windows but while driving it never leaked inside.

I did have to replace all of the top seals when I first got it as they were hard and brittle.

• Like 1