When you wish you hired a tractor mechanic...

I have the privilege of maintaining several tractors in a museum collection. Two of which are steam. With the exception of one of the steamers, all are demonstrated regularly for our visitors. These are not well-polished garage queens. I take no offense whatsoever from Ed’s comments. Like him, I am simply dumbfounded with the JB-Weld mess on those rods. In my mind, two things should never, ever, be associated with a pre-war engine - tractor, car, or otherwise: JB Weld and Silicone gasket crap.

Often people make the mistake of assuming pre-war tractors are so much simpler to diagnose and work on than their automobile counterparts. The reality is that except for simpler electrics and, for the most part, far easier accessibility, they are not - it’s about equal. Remember there is very little difference between the engine of an old rusty Fordson tractor and that lovely Model T sitting in your garage. Some can be that simple and others can go the opposite. We have one 1919 Lombard Tractor-Truck with a six cylinder T-head engine that would easily meet or exceed the quality of the finest T-head Locomobile - dual ignition (magneto & distributor) counter balanced crankshaft and full pressure lubrication via multiple (three) oil pumps and nice brass fittings and the added complication of a complex governor system. It churns out 145 hp with butter smoothness.

I have seen my share of hack work as well. It happens in both worlds.  A few years ago a well-meaning gentleman decided to “improve” the starting of our 1934, Lombard Tractor-Truck without my knowledge. The result was having to spend many hours rebuilding the ignition system to undo the “improvements” that forced us to deal with a dead machine on the day of our biggest event of the year.  Unlike your car, when a 17,500 lb. tractor stops running, your not simply going to push it to the curb or onto a trailer!

Unfortunately, in today's world, there seems to be a distinct lack in attention to detail and pride in craftsmanship and doing the right thing even when no one is looking.

I hope Ed follows up with more posts on this project. I am sure the JB-Weld on the rods is indicative of other things that were hacked. It’s satisfying to know that this car has made it into Ed’s very capable care. The result will be a car that not only looks good but will go down the road as originally intended and will be an absolute joy to drive.

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Dave. Pitchers are great, but tell us what each of those iron horses is! Especially that intriguing yellow mini- crawler...

J/A '24 Antique Power has an ad for 34th annual Silver Kings of Yesteryear show in Plymouth OH. Might you be going? I'd never heard of a Plymouth or Silver King tractor until you posted about them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Tractor Mechanic. Yep, I resemble that remark. 🙃 A few photos of some of the tractors I have, or had in the past. 

IMG_1634 (1).JPG

IMG_3407.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

The one on top is an Agricat Model C. I still have this one. I did a major restoration on it. Every nut, bolt, and screw was removed from it. I had to fabricate new 7 new track links, pins, and bushings to get it back in working condition plus rebuilding and sand blasting every square inch of it. Also fabricated some other missing parts. The middle photo is me shy of 50 years ago on a 1933 Farmall F-12. The bottom photo is a 1924 McCormick-Deering 15-30. That tractor ran like a clock. I had it belted to a silage blower in the late 1980's when we had Draft Horse Days on the farm. Both of those tractors I sold after having some fun with them. Many others have come and gone though the years.  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, pkhammer said:

Hardhat and Birkenstocks!? Well at least you weren't wearing your speedo Dave!

Just a Big Kid in a Sand Box having fun. 😁 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 6/12/2024 at 6:43 PM, wayne sheldon said:

What difference does it make? Nobody will ever drive these things anyway?

I am JOKING!

Just joking.

Joking.   Yes they will drive them but only on and off trailers.