An interesting Will It Run video 1923 Franklin

Posted (edited)

With many of these type of videos being boring. This one I found interesting while enjoying coffee this morning. This you guy works on some rough prewar stuff. I learned several things about a Franklin watching this. He’s not exactly gentle with things but he’s not afraid to get after it! 

Edited by BobinVirginia (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• BobinVirginia changed the title to An interesting Will It Run video 1923 Franklin

He's actually pretty careful about driving the stuff he gets running on the road. Very few of his rigs are actually drivable in the first place, some don't even have rear axles! He's also in a pretty rural area, puttering around at 20mph on backroads, only being a danger to himself. At the very least the stuff he gets isn't being scrapped.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SparksNArcs said:

He's actually pretty careful about driving the stuff he gets running on the road. Very few of his rigs are actually drivable in the first place, some don't even have rear axles! He's also in a pretty rural area, puttering around at 20mph on backroads, only being a danger to himself. At the very least the stuff he gets isn't being scrapped.

In one of his videos of a cadillac, he would have totaled the engine because of the way the valve gear works because if the valves are stuck all of the cam gear basically tears away from the top cover

14 minutes ago, hidden_hunter said:

In one of his videos of a cadillac, he would have totaled the engine because of the way the valve gear works because if the valves are stuck all of the cam gear basically tears away from the top cover

I should have specified "on the road". He is a bit heavy-handed on the mechanical side, tends to set things on fire quite a bit...but the stuff he finds aren't museum pieces. Most of it would be considered scrap or parts, so I don't see the harm in just trying to get something going for the fun of it. Honestly its content like his that might inspire other people to get into old cars at the very least.

• Like 4

I enjoy this guy's videos. I don't know what happens to these vehicles after finishes his videos. There's rarely any follow up and he clearly doesn't want to spend much if any money on them aside from the cost of PB Blaster. Honestly, I was surprised to see him buy new tires for this particular car. He typically claims to that the car will be driven at the beginning of his videos. It rarely happens. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 5/27/2024 at 8:47 PM, BobinVirginia said:

With many of these type of videos being boring. This one I found interesting while enjoying coffee this morning. This you guy works on some rough prewar stuff. I learned several things about a Franklin watching this. He’s not exactly gentle with things but he’s not afraid to get after it! 

That sounds like a fascinating find, Bob! It's refreshing to stumble upon a video that's both informative and engaging. Learning about the Franklin in such a hands-on way must have been quite enriching. Today, I want to share something with you all, I am a student and sometimes I struggle with my thesis and feel completely lost. That's when I discovered https://academized.com/thesis-writing-service Their service was exceptional. The writer assigned to me was knowledgeable and provided invaluable guidance. The thesis was delivered on time and met all my requirements. The customer support team was also very helpful. I highly recommend Academized for thesis writing services.

Seeing that thing not only run but drive is insane, absolutely incredible.

Edit: That car is over 100 years old! Shes a real survivor, still hanging on in there after all this time! Shes a testimony to how well Franklin built their cars back in 1923. Just think everyone involved with this car, its design and manufacture are all dead and have been for a long time! Shes outlived them all!

Edited by SarahDavis (see edit history)

5 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

I never thought I would live long enough to hear someone refer to a 1923 Franklin as a "Bad Boy"😛 I have driven many thousands of miles behind a plate glass windshield and I am still in one piece. Live life on the edge!!!!

We put up with a lot of previous things that time has proven unsafe, like brakes, no safety belts, good lights, etc.. But there are many things we can do to mitigate some of the most obvious and dangerous. Safety glass is one of them. A stone tossed up from the road or falling off a vehicle coming from the opposite direction, or even a bird can crash through that plate glass and the blood squirting out of your juggler is going to ruin your upholstery. Oh well, like they say.  Ignorance is curable, but stupidity is terminal! My condolences to all those out there that are not still in one piece.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

I have driven many thousands of miles behind a plate glass windshield and I am still in one piece

Plate glass when broken and flying has maimed or killed many people. I had access to a long term commercial photographers collection of negatives when he went out of business. One of his jobs was to take photos of accidents that happened locally to record the scene. All of these taken in the 1930-42 era. I used some of these in a story in Special Interest Autos magazine  decades ago. I did not use the more gruesome ones that showed the blood of the victims running down the doors of the cars or on the interior.

You are indeed fortunate to have never had to deal with broken plate glass flying at you .

• Like 2

I can't help but wonder if this was the character who "balanced" the rods in that Model J engine mentioned in another thread ?

I feel sorry for the poor Franklin and any other old car treated like this one.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Thanks Bob, yes interesting.

Don't know how common air cooled was amongst the many automobile makers back then, but this was about the same time as Chevrolets failed Copper cooled engine project.

• Like 1