For Sale: 1922 Dodge Four Roadster - $20,500 - Mulino, OR - Not Mine

For Sale: 1922 Dodge Four Roadster - $20,500 - Mulino, OR

1922 Dodge roadster for sale by owner - Mulino, OR - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1922 Dodge Roadster · Convertible · Driven 1,234 miles. It’s in great shape. Runs and drives. It’s a beautiful old car. Asking $20,500obo.
Copy and paste in your email: 0374b0452a2d3c76ae8e3703f2e65a8e@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1922 Dodge Four Roadster.

'22 Dodge roadster OR a.jpg

'22 Dodge roadster OR b.jpg

'22 Dodge roadster OR c.jpg

'22 Dodge roadster OR d.jpg

'22 Dodge roadster OR e.jpg

• Like 5

This car looks really familiar, but searching this forum didn't turn it up. Perhaps another red Dodge roadster with disc wheels and white walls. 

If I were to buy a Brass era car I think one of these would be at the top of the list. Anyone know if this a larger than a Model T? 

Is this 1922 Dodge-Brothers considered a Brass era car, or a Nickel era one? How are these eras commonly defined? What goes before Brass, and after Nickel?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JRA said:

Is this 1922 Dodge-Brothers considered a Brass era car, or a Nickel era one? How are these eras commonly defined? What goes before Brass, and after Nickel?

No hard and fast rules. Generally, in the USA, "Brass Era" is as defined by the Horseless Carriage Club of America. The basic simple rule is any automobile "manufactured" before January of 1916. Sort of a back-handed way of saying "pre '15". A lot of people do not agree with that, they either want to cut it back to cars that actually have brass trim, but in the real world, that doesn't really work (do you want to tell a guy with a beautiful 1913 Buick that he doesn't belong because his car has no brass to polish? But some fellow with a 1916 Ford has a car that had a bright brass radiator when it was new!). Other people want to become more inclusive, extend the qualifying cars a few years, or even a decade or two. A lot of people including I do not want that because the stated purpose of the HCCA is to be a club and advocate for "the earliest cars"! Frankly, the "earliest cars" are already left behind too much in this country (England, the colonies, and Europe have a lot more activities every year for the really early cars than does the USA!). Extending through the late 1910s or worse the 1920s would leave the early cars even further behind.

Nickel era is more difficult to define. Actually, many pre1905 automobiles used nickel plating extensively. And that includes many steam and electric automobiles as well as gasoline engines. Most "nickel era groups seem to like 1913 as a beginning of the nickel era. The truth is, that a lot of cars were switching to nickel plating a bit earlier, even as early as 1910, and, Ford was NOT the only one to continue brass through 1915 or later!

However, most people seem to be happy with the nickel age beginning about 1913. The end of the nickel era is a bit more contentious. Hardliners like to cut it off between 1927 or 1928. Those were for most automakers the last years for significant amounts of nickel plating, at least on the outside of the car. Other people, because the cars themselves didn't change a whole lot for those next few years, want to end the nickel era at about 1932 or 1933. Some people even argue in favor for a few more years later.

This 1922 Dodge roadster would be considered a Nickel Era car, and a nice one at that! The early 1920s Dodge automobiles are somewhat larger than a model T Ford, a bit more powerful, but not really faster than a T. They are good cars, generally reliable, a well supported national club, and some local or regional groups if you happen to live in the right area (I doubt that there would be a club specially for early Dodge in Brazil!). There are a few collector car parts suppliers that specialize in four cylinder Dodge Brothers cars and parts.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/9/2024 at 11:33 PM, Fossil said:

If I were to buy a Brass era car I think one of these would be at the top of the list. Anyone know if this a larger than a Model T? 

From my experience the Dodges from this era had a “skosh” more room than the T, more leg room.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, @wayne sheldon ! And after Nickel era, how to call it?

I really like these early Dodge-Brothers, they seem to be sturdy cars, probably stronger than the Model T. My 1929 Brougham is already a combined version, once it is the first year with the Chrysler facelift, but still totally Dodge-Brothers under the hood. You right to say early DBs are rare in Brazil and no specific club exists for Dodges of this era. I am not sure if this is the case of the 1922 model, but my challenges on finding parts were related to the ignition system, made by North East Electric.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, JRA said:

And after Nickel era, how to call it?

After "nickel era" (or "nickel age"), it gets a bit more complicated. In the first place, there is more crossover between classifications. Late nickel age has always crossed over with the great Classics era a little bit. Note the big "C" in "Classic era". There has been a battle over the use of the word "classic" in describing automobiles for a very long time. The "Classic Car Club of America" has tried to maintain a definition that fits their perspective, that of an era when wealthy people often had either custom built elegant automobiles or low production extremely high quality automobiles. The CCCA originally defined the era as beginning about 1925, and with one exception ending with the second world war (1942). Battles within the club eventually extended the era earlier to 1915, and added many more exceptions to marques up to 1948. In addition to that "era", the automobile models were individually valued for their rarity and quality of construction. Common production cars were NOT allowed to be considered a "Classic".

The problem was, that the CCCA did not own the word "classic". So, millions of people around the world applied the word "classic" to millions of common cars. The CCCA tried to fight it, but like "trying to turn the tide with a tea cup"? It was a battle they could not win. So, many people do still adhere to the CCCA definition, while millions more do not. A person, regardless of their personal views on that issue, really needs to be clear in conversation or writing if they are using the CCCA version (sometimes but not always accepted as the "big C Classics"?), or referring to the millions of other cars which may or may not deserve the distinction.

Personally, I rarely use the word "classic" for anything but the CCCA Classics, or my preferred music genre. And when discussing the CCCA classics, I usually include the "CCCA" as a clarification for whatever I am saying. I do not always capitalize the letter "C", but often do.

Most automobiles after the "nickel age" and before the second world war are generally classified as "prewar" cars. The term isn't ideal, because there are several major wars during that 20th century, and the term doesn't specify which war, or for how long before that war should be included. Regardless, the "prewar" term is widely accepted as being before the second world war and after the nickel age.

Wartime vehicles are sort of their own thing, with devoted hobbyists preserving the pieces that interest them.

Postwar gets really difficult. A lot of hobbyists aren't happy with the blanket "twenty-five years and older" rule. When that was started about fifty years ago, it seemed to make sense to a lot of people. Today? Cars last longer, look more alike, and some people want to change the rule, but have no idea what to change it to.

A lot of people refer to the cars of the late 1940s, mostly continuations of the 1942models, along with a few slow steps into newer models and the return to "normalcy", simply as "postwar" cars.

Muscle cars again like the CCCA Classics were somewhat an "era", as well as needing a definition of what is or is not a "muscle car". The muscle car era according to many hobbyists began about the mid 1950s, and according to some, ended with the "oil crisis" of the mid to late 1970s. Others insist that several automakers continued building some true muscle cars through the 1980s.

A lot of people have a special liking for cars of the 1950s. Cars of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, are often also simply referred to by their decades or specific marques or model types.

I hope some of that is helpful.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1