1949 Roadmaster Sedanet Auto $23.495

That is one on my wish list, but comes at a time when I am already buried under projects. Need to sell some to be prepared for the next. 

Not mine, no association. But want it so dearly!!!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/roadmaster/2790471.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=saved_search&utm_campaign=2024-05-08&uemlid=273756907adbc427a06996db07232806d2ce23ab46b0b13b5c5a39fc3e590132

image.png.20d74d66afe00cba700786bbfa6b5951.png

• Like 7

Seems surprising that the asking price for this impressive Roadmaster is not higher -- and that it hasn't been quickly snapped up.

Is the market for the '49s weakening?  Recently there were two extremely sharp Rivs on eBay that did not fetch bids higher than mid-teens.  Is the geezer factor coming into play here?

• Like 1

The market is surely weaker than it used to be for 50's and older Buicks.  If I had a few bucks to spare, I would snatch this one up in a hurry.  But my love for cars with torque tubes is waning. I absolutely detest working on them.  But it's my job, so I do it for others.😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looks like this one is on consignment. If the seller walks away with $18K they will be doing good.   I bought a 55 (2008) and a 58 Roadmaster  (2015) and sold them in 2015 and 2019 respectively and was fortunate not to lose money as the market never really showed an upside.  If I really wanted one, this one looks like a excellent candidate. My expectation if I planned to sell it after 5 years would be to at best break-even to losing a few thousand. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, John2012 said:

Looks like this one is on consignment. If the seller walks away with $18K they will be doing good.   I bought a 55 (2008) and a 58 Roadmaster  (2015) and sold them in 2015 and 2019 respectively and was fortunate not to lose money as the market never really showed an upside.  If I really wanted one, this one looks like a excellent candidate. My expectation if I planned to sell it after 5 years would be to at best break-even to losing a few thousand. 

I have come to think of it like this - if you are buying a car as an investment, choose carefully based on potential upside.  If you are buying so that you can enjoy driving the car, don't worry if you lose some value down the road as you will have gotten the utility of enjoying it.  I had more cars than I had time to enjoy and since they didn't have future upside potential I had to let a couple go.  Now I can enjoy the couple I have left and don't fret the future value and I won't be selling anytime soon. 

Edited by lancemb (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lancemb said:

I have come to think of it like this - if you are buying a car as an investment, choose carefully based on potential upside.  If you are buying so that you can enjoy driving the car, don't worry if you lose some value down the road as you will have gotten the utility of enjoying it.  I had more cars than I had time to enjoy and since they didn't have future upside potential I had to let a couple go.  Now I can enjoy the couple I have left and don't fret the future value and I won't be selling anytime soon. 

What @lancemb said

Personally based on the pictures, I'd need to see this car in person before any money changed hands. I've had mixed results buying from pictures with discussions with sellers and even having inspections done. But alas my Buick buying days are over. Well, except for maybe a '36 Century Coupe....

• Like 5

You see this when the seller gets a ton of responses.  It's sad, but they then realize they can make perhaps an additional $1,000 or so.  Really?  

I remember about 25 years ago I purchased some books by Richard Langworth, the author, titled "Buyers Guide to Buick (Cadillac, Chrysler) Automobiles."   In many cases, regarding the rarer models of a make, he often said "these cars usually trade hands on a handshake deal between club members and seldom come up for sale."

I mention that because those books came out at or near the "speculation era" of the late 1980's (yes I am really old now) and since then greed, for lack of a better word, has infiltrated the hobby.   

This seller has to live with his decision, which he probably can with no issue, but for me, I arrive at a price I need and only go down, never up.  It's not an auction, so it's not the highest bidder.   It's a sale, based on many factors reached by the seller (space, time, etc) and the seller should stick to his decision. 

On 5/11/2024 at 7:47 PM, MrEarl said:

What @lancemb said

Personally based on the pictures, I'd need to see this car in person before any money changed hands. I've had mixed results buying from pictures with discussions with sellers and even having inspections done. But alas my Buick buying days are over. Well, except for maybe a '36 Century Coupe....

This thread has created some interesting commentary.   Your experience is correct, although I was surprised by the comment "even having inspections done" as resulting in a disappointing outcome.  

This ad "at least" has 100 good high resolution photos but the car surely has issues in the negative not described by the seller.  On one photo of the trunk script/chrome, the chrome appears worn, where perhaps even a good buffing doesn't do much good. And is that original paint or a repaint?   If it's original, there surely is some weaker paint somewhere.  

Nice car, and as we often say "you can't restore one for that price".  Which is the conundrum for selling and buying.  It represents a good value for a buyer IF all checks out.  I personally think, owning a Roadmaster in this era perhaps trumps a same Super model. 

I owned one, gave up on it as a full restoration, as I often did.  I sold it for $2000.  It was rust free, came to me as partially taken apart too.  Surely it's done now, I believe it went to Texas.