For Sale: 1961 Corvair Monza coupe, 98 hp 'Duntov' engine, 4-speed, 69K miles - $4,000 - Lenoir City, TN - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 5-4-2024.

Posted (edited)

For Sale: 1961 Corvair Monza coupe, 98 hp 'Duntov' engine, 4-speed, 69K miles - $4,000 - Lenoir City, TN - This posting has been deleted by its author. 5-4-2024.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza coupe for sale by owner - Lenoir City, TN - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1961 Corvair Monza coupe with optional 98 hp 'Duntov' engine and 4 speed. 68,900 actual miles. I am second owner. Car is very solid, with only minor imperfections on the body. Original owner completely reupholstered the interior in high quality furniture grade leather in the mid '80s and it is in great condition. Car runs and drives very well, is driven often. Call with any questions. Price is firm, because it's well below market value for this car. Circumstances force sale. NO TRADES, CASH SALE ONLY!
Copy and paste in your email: c070d15317d737ec90e0230f930915dd@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Corvair Monza coupe.

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN a.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN b.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN c.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN d.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN e.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN f.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN g.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN h.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN i.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN j.jpg

'61 Corvair Monza coupe TN k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
This posting has been deleted by its author. 5-4-2024 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

It's 4 grand... The fun of driving this would greatly outweigh the 4 grand you paid for it. After you're done with the fun you sell it and get your money back! A tremendous bang for your buck deal! It will sell fast!!! 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

What is a duntov engine?  Is it just an innovative way of saying flat six?  Looks like a regular Corvair six to me. And yes, I would love to have this car as well.

According to The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states under 1961 Corvair options: "Six cylinder 145 cid 98 hp dual one-barrel engine ($27)" rather than the standard 80 hp unit.  The four-speed floor shift transmission was a ($650) option.  One supposes the "Duntov" label is shorthand for the higher horsepower engine among Corvair enthusiasts.

• Like 3

Duntov is better known as a Corvette genius.  Don Yenko was the guy I recall who boosted the performance of Corvairs with his Yenko Stinger Corvair.

• Like 3

Interesting. I just learned something I didn’t know.

The turbocharged Monza versions of these should be incredibly collectible. But GM really screwed up the styling. See 356 Porsche for comparison. 

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1961 Corvair Monza coupe, 98 hp 'Duntov' engine, 4-speed, 69K miles - $4,000 - Lenoir City, TN - Not Mine - This posting has been deleted by its author. 5-4-2024.
3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Interesting. I just learned something I didn’t know.

The turbocharged Monza versions of these should be incredibly collectible. But GM really screwed up the styling. See 356 Porsche for comparison. 

In typical GM hubris of the time, management absolutely knew Americans were just dying for a 6-passenger, American-styled, rear-engine economy car, an American VW Beetle only way better.  Couldn't bring themselves to simply do a GM version of the prosaic Rambler, left that for Ford to do and clean up on major sales volume.  The Chevy II would play catch-up for that segment, just in time for Ford to define the intermediate segment with the Fairlane.  

The Corvair Monza is credited with introducing the concept of the sporty economy car: buckets and console, floor shift, performance pretentions.  

• Like 3

I have never owned a corvair but I’ve been around several. I like the look. Quirky.....yes, but the early cars appeal to me. 

For the same reason I like the rampside pickup models they made. I saw a very clean original one a few years ago and spent a couple weeks looking for one that wasn’t rusted out and untouched for cheap....I think that ship has sailed.  Apparently I’m not the only one who likes them. 

• Like 2

I have been playing with Corvairs of all body types and engines for 40+ years and I have NEVER heard the name Duntov applied to any Corvair!  Sellers lame or misleading attempt to add some value to a ‘61 Monza coupe.  If the interior was redone by a PO in genuine leather that adds little value to the car…

• Like 5