Michelin - Budd Disc Wheels 1920

Today’s project was framing this April 1920 ad for Michelin disc wheels which were apparently sold as aftermarket optional equipment.  I’ve had the ad for years and wanted to frame it someday.  Today was the day.  The art in the picture was what caught my eye and how it was targeting the female auto driver.  I was wondering if anyone here owns an automobile from this era that is equipped with these wheels?

D32904FE-176E-428C-B3F4-73692B295D3B.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I don't think they were big sellers. ( circa 1920 }  There were quite a few disk wheels on the market at this time, but these are seldom seen these days. It looks like a two piece wheel. Same locking side ring style as you see on Ford Model AA trucks.  The one in your illustration is a fairly large wheel 35 x 5 is a 25 inch rim so most likely very late teens  - early 1920's. Roughly the same era as the car in the illustration. And probably only found on quite high end cars at the time. Later on they were optional on a few cars , Cadillac, Pierce Arrow and Packard  for example in about the 1925 - 1930 era but by then the diameters were smaller, often 19 inch - 21 inch.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I have a wheel catalog that shows them available as what I believe would be factory optional on quite a few different makes 1923 onward. As a factory option they may have been available earlier but this catalog does not go back further. I also believe they were available as a aftermarket accessory probably as early as somewhere in the late teens. My catalog just lists the wheels and snap rings. It says that due to the large number of different hubs available when hubs are needed to contact a Bud distributor directly for pricing..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

These are the Michelin disk wheels for Dodge Brothers before DB supplied Budd 21" wheels as regular equipment after about 1923. The wheels/hubs shown were used with the full floating rear hubs.  Would be cool to find a set of those rear hubs. 

Dodge Michelin Wheels.jpg

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Looks like you have a somewhat earlier edition of the same catalog I have. Is this a Dodge parts book or a general wheel and rim catalog ?  Interesting rear hubs with an inner flange for the brake drum.

It is also interesting they offered them in two different diameters.  32 x 3 1/2 is a 25 inch rim, 32 x 4 is a 24 inch rim.

Just now, 1912Staver said:

Looks like you have a somewhat earlier edition of the same catalog I have. 

I don't have the catalog. Someone else posted the page a while back, may have been on Facebook.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

also interesting they offered them in two different diameters.  32 x 3 1/2 is a 25 inch rim, 32 x 4 is a 24 inch rim.

a couple more that may help others later from a 1928 catalog. Note passenger cars, can add trucks if anyone is interested

IMG_6385.jpeg

all the D type of rings

IMG_6386.jpeg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

That's great information ! Going by the prominent L on the lug bolts I expect the other side would be R. And RH. and LH. on the threads. I wonder if this is where Chrysler Corp. got the idea for their lug nuts using RH. and LH. threads?

• Like 1