A Pre War Car - Funny noise - But no one is laughing! 1936 Packard

Some more comments on the issue.

I got my '36 120 back in 1978. Over the years its had a partial restoration, mainly the mechanicals and a now old repaint (1984). The engine engine was rebuilt after running it a bit too fast on the highway one day which resulted in two spun rod bearings at an indicated 82 miles an hour. Longer story there.🤐

The car now has over 25,000 miles on the rebuild and 30,000 plus since I acquired it. Overall its been a good old car that when sorted drives I think very well for the age. The second gear acceleration can make you smile.☺️

Interesting experience on the transmission. I had something similar happen, but got away without any damage. When doing some other work I had the floor out and the top of the transmission off. After it was put back together and driven down the road something in the transmission didn't feel quite "normal" so I turned around and came home.

When I got the transmission cover off the oil was full of shiny metal flakes. A 5/16 lock washer had fallen in and got chewed up by the gears into metal powder. It took a while and a flush to get all the flakes out of the transmission as some had started to pack into the gear teeth. Fortunately no lasting damage and a few thousand miles since.

The brakes when set up are also very good. Bendix hydraulic brakes. My '120 stops better than my '75 Buick LeSabre did.

'36 is the best year for the 120. Slightly beefed up engine in '36, last years for the older style dashboard. And the build quality is good for the value. I think that it got a bit "cheaper" in the later years. But its no CCCA grade car by any stretch of the imagination.

An offside comment, each of the '35, '36 and '37 have different bumpers and bumper guards. What is the story for having '37 bumper guards on the '36 car?🫢

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 4:43 AM, edinmass said:

More progress..........R&R the trans, and a total overhaul with NOS parts all in less than 24 hours........not too shabby. This is how I like to work. Prepare, parts on hand if at all possible. Worked late last night cleaning up the box and making new gaskets. Reassembly this morning...........and driving this afternoon. If you take a car apart......it's no longer a car, just a big paper weight.............I can't stress enough not to take any car apart  until you're ready to push through the project. I buy lots of stuff that got disassembled for a "quick" repair, and 30 years later I'm picking up the pieces for .05 cents on the dollar. 

IMG_5667.jpeg

IMG_5668.jpeg

IMG_5669.jpeg

Less than a day, impressive!  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Car is back on the road and driving well. We are waiting on a special u joint clip that was damaged in the process of installing. We will do a few more items on the car over the next few weeks. Rebuilding the distributor, rebuilding a NOS carb and installing it. Otherwise the car is a well sorted driver already. With the radial tires and 3.53 rear end it goes exceptionally well down the road.  Yesterday was the first Saturday not spent in the shop for months. Had a few visitors from up north, so we checked out the “local view”………it’s great living five blocks from the beach.

IMG_5728.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5731.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Car is back on the road and driving well. We are waiting on a special u joint clip that was damaged in the process of installing. We will do a few more items on the car over the next few weeks. Rebuilding the distributor, rebuilding a NOS carb and installing it. Otherwise the car is a well sorted driver already. With the radial tires and 3.53 rear end it goes exceptionally well down the road.  Yesterday was the first Saturday not spent in the shop for months. Had a few visitors from up north, so we checked out the “local view”………it’s great living five blocks from the beach.

IMG_5728.jpeg

IMG_5735.jpeg

IMG_5731.jpeg

Are we viewing Original or Aftermarket parts?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/28/2024 at 8:48 AM, Tph479 said:

Are we viewing Original or Aftermarket parts?

Palm Beach? Mostly oversized upper end work, and undersized below!

• Haha 4

Just now, EmTee said:

Enhanced.  ;)

Many, many ladies here make a signifiant investment in certain commodities, usually it’s silicone! 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 4/23/2024 at 12:40 PM, edinmass said:

Went to the local Packard dealer, and ordered a new cluster gear, secondary shaft, and input shaft. It ended up there was no need to place an order.......the parts were in stock! 😎

The parts were still in the factory wax paper.........

IMG_5656.jpeg

IMG_5657.jpeg

Looks like the job I did on my 1935 Ford Pickup, 34 years ago when I got it.   I doubt i can still get a NOS second gear

cluster for it today.ScanII.jpg.e7fbd3e55ef256a73ffcab5a89a09e77.jpg