1931 Buick 96S component values for shipping insurance

I am readying the starter, distributor, generator and water pump for shipment to be rebuilt. All of the components are complete and correct for the car. They are functional, but have various issues. What is a fair value to insure each component for shipping? UPS lost my fuel pump when I sent it to be rebuilt and I only had it insured for about half of what a replacement ended up costing. Thanks for any advice on value for these components.

How do you value something made out of unobtanium ,  first I would not ship them in one box, I know some might say that it’s harder to get lost when it is large and heavy.

i would insure each item for no less than $1,000 each.  I have also heard that some carriers want you to buy insurance, but when there is a loss they put up a fight rather than pay, hopefully someone on here can give you some advice from past experience.

• Like 1

I dont know if you can successfully over-insure something but when I worked for an airline and would ship a broken part for repair, I always insured it for the replacement cost verses the broken core cost.   I would hate to need to replace something at my expense, when I tried to save a few dollars on insurance.  Pay me now or pay me later.

• Like 1

Are you sure there is no local repair alternative?  In a case like this I'd consider driving a couple hundred miles to ensure the parts arrive safely.  Also, shipping is only one risk for loss; depending upon who is performing the repair parts can also get lost at the rebuilder.  You may want to check with them about what their policy is with regard to that...  ;)

• Like 4

Insurance is a wast of time....try collecting it. Make a wooden crate with rope handles. Put multiple addresses on it inside and out. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Insurance is a wast of time....try collecting it. Make a wooden crate with rope handles. Put multiple addresses on it inside and out. 

Ed is right.  Just make sure the parts are properly packed and labeled.  The chances of UPS ground losing them is very very tiny.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Ed is right.  Just make sure the parts are properly packed and labeled.  The chances of UPS ground losing them is very very tiny.

Odds of UPS losing them?…not likely.  Dropping or mishandling or running over it with a forklift?…much higher.  We ship and receive many heavy duty industrial items via UPS; if it’s in a box it’s a drop candidate!

• Like 1

Just now, kar3516 said:

Odds of UPS losing them?…not likely.  Dropping or mishandling or running over it with a forklift?…much higher.  We ship and receive many heavy duty industrial items via UPS; if it’s in a box it’s a drop candidate!

Agreed.  They parts need to be packed securely.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 2:49 PM, edinmass said:

In the interest of being cautious, put each part in a bag with your instructions and contact info, in case the outside of the box becomes illegible.  If the shipper tears open the box or the part falls out, it is still identifiable.  I have had empty, damaged boxes delivered to my place of business, with no part inside.

Also, if using a used box, be sure to obliterate any previous addresses and upc scan codes.  They could deliver it to the last place it went if they scan the wrong code.  Been done before.

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the feedback. I built two crates for shipping my parts. I sent the water pump to Arthur Gould Rebuilders and the starter, generator and distributor to Precision Power. Since all of my parts had round sections, I made 2 split blocks out of 2x6 for each piece and used a hole saw to make the appropriate size hole to clamp around the body of each component. I lined the hole with 1/4x1 1/2" weatherstrip foam and screwed the base piece to the bottom of the crate, and clamped the component in place with the upper half. I lined each crate with some 2" closed cell foam board and then packed around each component with foam peanuts until I couldn't fit anymore in the crate. I decided to buy insurance, just in case. Fingers crossed everything gets to it's destination in one piece. Thanks again.

• Like 4