Didn’t lose it - never had it

RivNut

My ‘64 did not come with a power seat or power vents. But I have the frame with motor and transmission for the seat and the control on the arm rest extension along with the proper face plate; and the the vent window motors and switches, both master and passenger side and the same correct face plates for the arm rest extensions.  What I DO NOT HAVE for both is the correct factory wiring harnesses. I have pieced together a bunch of wires and connectors but they’re not as neat as the factory pieces. If you have either or both, please reach out to me, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• RivNut changed the title to Didn’t lose it - never had it

I understand the reason for desiring to find the OEM harnesses for these things.  What might be questioned is just how well they have aged?  Related to the integrity of the connections of the wiring and terminals, specifically.  Wiring might not degrade very fast, though, but without the terminal/wiring interface not being soldered, might those interfaces possibly develope added resistance with time?

If the correct insulator colors of the respective wires can be obtained, in the correct (or slightly more robust) gauges, plus correct solderless terminals, maybe even the insulators for such, might a better result be obtained by producing it yourself?  Or by another "engaged individual"?

With these things "done", then you can proceed with other projects, it would seem.  Especially with the next "car season" or activities quickly arriving?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

I have a box of miscellaneous wires. When I’ve stripped some of them down, I’ve found that the wires themselves are pretty subtle.  It’s the plastic tape they’re wrapped in that is brittle.  I took the tape off the driver’s side of the ‘64 under hood harness that I have and found the wires to be in good shape. I can use it but I’ll have to figure out where a few blunt need wires go.  I have a new roll of non-adhesive wire wrap that I’ll use to rewrap what I’ve got.  My biggest chore is to figure out what the truncated wires go.  

I have a nice 63 harness but I’d have to wire a kick down wire into it. The other situation with the 63 harness is that in 63 the turn signal housings have only two lamps instead of three. I think the third light in the 64 housing is for an amber light that is a parking light or a bulb that come on with the headlights. With the headlights in the grill of the 63/64, at night the car appears narrower than it really is. Was the addition of the third light a way of defining the actual width of the car?  If I do go with the 63 harness I have the 63 turn signal housings to go with the harness.  I can always use the cornering light openings to create a parking lamp and/or some daytime running lights. Time will tell which road I take.  James @Bestoffercounts has wire ends and other pieces for use in creating new harnesses. I could go that route as well - at least everything would be new and shiny for good contact.

On 3/28/2024 at 2:10 PM, RivNut said:

I have a nice 63 harness but I’d have to wire a kick down wire into it.

This would be the underhood harness correct? If so, the two bulkhead connectors will plug into the '64 bulkhead? Full size 1964 BUICKs carried-over the round bulkhead from '63 while Riviera was one step ahead with a new bulkhead in '64.

Good that wires are still good. Some say overkill and you already have wire wrap. But, I highly recommend self fusing silicone tape for underhood. Default colour was gray but now available in many colours. 1 mil Black available at HW Box stores. It has a higher temp rating.

Most harness connectors are Series-56 and it is Delphi in the US with Techspan here in Canada. A good industrial supplier is where I purchase connectors but also Farmer's HW Supply has them as well.

image.png.888a63b2d29998d603d4f6a4faeddfbc.pngimage.png.d9be70700e02e8e3f98fc6441e5d1e6c.png

GM Packard 58 for Headlights: image.png.a2cb2815a6c45a61e8b53f7d1e050b43.png

image.png.1322cb59e6f43b92c99a915e1ea02b7e.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

This would be the underhood harness correct? If so, the two bulkhead connectors will plug into the '64 bulkhead? Full size 1964 BUICKs cared-over the round bulkhead from '63 while Riviera was one step ahead with a new bulkhead in '64.

Good that wires are still good. Some say overkill and you already have wire wrap. But, I highly recommend self fusing silicone tape for underhood. Default colour was gray but now available in many colours. 1 mil Black available at HW Box stores. It has a higher temp rating.

Most harness connectors are Series-56 and it is Delphi in the US with Techspan here in Canada. A good industrial supplier is where I purchase connectors but also Farmer's HW Supply has them as well.

image.png.888a63b2d29998d603d4f6a4faeddfbc.pngimage.png.d9be70700e02e8e3f98fc6441e5d1e6c.png

GM Packard 58 for Headlights: image.png.a2cb2815a6c45a61e8b53f7d1e050b43.png

image.png.1322cb59e6f43b92c99a915e1ea02b7e.png

Ditto relative to the `63 and `64 harness references...use a `64 harness in a `64

Tom Mooney.

45 minutes ago, 71GS said:

I just bought a complete power vent set up with harness from Steve Lorenzen.

He had a nice driver's master panel for power vents that I wanted. But the transfer never happened. I ended up cutting a rectangular hole in a pitted piece after being AWOL in my garage for years.

Master_Panel_FOUND_1.JPG

1 hour ago, 71GS said:

Ed, 

I just bought a complete power vent set up with harness from Steve Lorenzen. You might see if he has something for you. 

Brian

I’ve been in contact with Steve. He’s looking for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Ditto relative to the `63 and `64 harness references...use a `64 harness in a `64

Tom Mooney.

Just yesterday I contracted a guy here in the KC area who parted out a 64 a couple of years ago.  He thinks that he has the under the hood harness and 🤞🤞a power seat harness.  James @Bestoffercounts has connectors with which I can build a vent window harness if Steve Lorenzen doesn’t come through for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, XframeFX said:

He had a nice driver's master panel for power vents that I wanted. But the transfer never happened. I ended up cutting a rectangular hole in a pitted piece after being AWOL in my garage for years.

I’ll have a spare set once mine come back from chrome. I ended up cutting my originals as they were in better shape, less pits, than the power vent ones I had. Those weren’t from Steve, I got everything but the plates from him. I’m running those until the fresh ones come back in 5 months 😳

Edited by 71GS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 71GS said:

I’ll have a spare set once mine come back from chrome.

interesting. Hopefully good results because I couldn't find anyone to take it on. Might turn out worse, I was told. Simply being a die-cast piece , shops no like.

Funny, my power vent piece had nice chrome. The spare I finally found and cut is all pitted-up, the reason I wanted Steve Lorenzen's piece, same shape as my original. The original has a different angle that started a crack torqueing to my restored plastic base in frustration. Wasn't happy. And oh, that fiasco was also 3X-the-charmer if pitted chrome and cracked base considered to be OK for a final result.

Chrome is not photo-genic, they all look bad.

Sorry Ed, back to your wiring harness: If you have to build a harness, hopefully you have a crimping tool. Straight forward for female Series-56, but if you do not have a specific crimper for this connector, the dies need to be modified for crimping Male terminals.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 7:07 PM, XframeFX said:

interesting. Hopefully good results because I couldn't find anyone to take it on. Might turn out worse, I was told. Simply being a die-cast piece , shops no like.

I hear ya. I sent them to Advanced plating in Tennessee for exactly that reason. Mike Fulp there has been very helpful so far and excellent communication. Fingers crossed, probably won’t have them back for Lexington unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1