Would like a expert advice on placement item on carburetor

Wayne R

I am going to detail my 64 engine a little, and i have purchased a  small  Carter AFB  brass-copper id carburetor tag.

Looking from the front,  what corner of carb is the correct  corner to fit this.  10oclock--2.00oclock-- 8oclock--4.00oclock.

Thank you to any one that helps.

IMG_2229.JPG alloy.JPG

My recollection is that they are always on the front of the carb, and I believe the driver's

side front is the normal location due to the fuel inlet being in the way on the passenger side.

• Like 1

AS MANY of you know I rebuild MANY of these of AFB's.

I have been rebuilding them since I bought my Riv. new in 1964.

As I remember the tags never had a number on them.

The tags were all a certain color which denoted/identified the particular carb. that came on an original car/body.

MAYBE some of the earlier AFB's had numbers on them, but not as I remember.

In an answer to your question I remember  they were mounted in the rear.

Looking at the carb. standing looking at it from the front the screw is mounted on the right rear at the  is 2 O'clock position.

Tom T.

• Like 1

I uncovered an original (at least it’s that dirty) 1964 AFB and found a tag on it.  There were two lines pressed into it but no numbers between the lines. That tag was on the front on the driver’s side. It was raw aluminum, but had some shine to it.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I don't have all of the Carter prints digitized. If the identification number is supplied, I will check to see if I have a microfilm copy.

I checked a LOT of Chevrolet and Pontiac prints, and all had the tag on the pump side of the carburetor, the screw in the back (2 o'clock).

Some of the later Chrysler carbs had the tag on the pump side, under the screw just to the left of the pump.

Jon

• Like 1

12 hours ago, telriv said:

AS MANY of you know I rebuild MANY of these of AFB's.

I have been rebuilding them since I bought my Riv. new in 1964.

As I remember the tags never had a number on them.

The tags were all a certain color which denoted/identified the particular carb. that came on an original car/body.

MAYBE some of the earlier AFB's had numbers on them, but not as I remember.

In an answer to your question I remember  they were mounted in the rear.

Looking at the carb. standing looking at it from the front the screw is mounted on the right rear at the  is 2 O'clock position.

Tom T.

I agree with Tom that most AFB tags did not have stamped numbers but were/are color coded. The color seems to fade with time/wear and tear.

One exception to the above would be the very rare rear carb on the '66 MZ dual quad engine. The same part number which appears in the "up to 1970" Buick parts book is stamped into the triangular aluminum tag which is affixed to the driver's side rear corner of the carb.

Tom Mooney

• Like 1

I want to thank--Seafoam65--TomT--Ed----Jon-- and Tom  for answering my question.

I purchased a old 1950--51  looks like brass  may be copper  from another car make triagular shape

it will look better than  nothing,---most  persons  dont know  authenticity of these anyway.

Was $5.00,---i could not believe some of the prices for these on ebay  some in the hundreds.

IMG_2541.JPG tag.JPG

Wayne - think outside the box!

Maybe Tom will have the tag color (should be unique for a specific carburetor identification number).

Make a trip to the store, and look for beverage cans (anodized aluminum). Find one (hopefully with a beverage you enjoy), buy the can, drink (or drain) the beverage, and use the tag shape you have as a pattern, and cut your own tag!

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, carbking said:

See thread 1964 Buick 3665s in the General Discussion forum.

Jon

Thank you  Jon