What kind of a guy was your dad?

My Father grew up as a farmer son in the depression with little to no money.  His first car was a worn out '36 Ford around 1941 after he graduated from high school and started working with a sheet metal shop.  In early 1942 he and two friends left North Carolina for the first time to go to Baltimore and work for Glenn L. Martin Co. building B-25 bombers.  Drafted in 1943 and sent to Europe as a combat engineer, clearing mind fields and building bridges.  He returned in early 1946, studied to be an electrician in NYC and then returned to North Carolina.  Back home, he entered a business college for an accounting degree where he met my mom who was one of his teachers.  He went on to be CFO of a major east coast hospital system.  Shortly after he married Mom in 1950, she wanted a sewing machine.  He agreed to buy her one if she promised never to try to make him a shirt.  He would have no more homemade shirts.

With that background, I can start to answer the OP's question.  Dad enjoyed old (antique) cars, but had no desire to own one.  He had too many old and hand-me-down things growing up.  However, he always supported me in my interest in old cars.  At 14, my grandfather died.  Dad said he would get me his 1949 Plymouth.  An uncle sold it before we got there to see about getting the car.  Dad then said that my Mom's aunt had a 1949 Hudson that we would talk to her about when we went down there the next month.  Well, it was sold and gone too.  When I got my drivers license at 16, I was given the 1961 Dodge Polara two-door hardtop that Dad bought new and was then Mom's car.  It was replaced with a 1968 Dodge Charger for her.  After about a month of driving the 1961 Dodge, I told Dad, I think it need a tune up, not knowing if it did or not.  His response was, we'll do it.  I had no idea he knew how to tune a car.  We did it.  I was very impressed.  When asked what I wanted for a high school graduation present, I said I want one of those big Sears Craftsman tool kits.  I got it!  Still use them.

The biggest lesson he taught me was to buy the tools you need to do the job right and the next time you do it, it won't cost you anything but parts.  I still follow that rule.

• Like 9

My dad was a remarkable man who led a pretty remarkable ilfe, but he was not in any way a car guy.  My grandfather did have an influence on my interest in cars, and I have his '35 Packard (which i drove just  yesterday).  But even he wasn't so much a car guy as he was someone who lived in an age when some amazing cars were around and were dirt cheap; he bought his 1935 Packard Twelve for $500.

On the other hand, there's a picture of me in a little toy car when I was about 5 yers old and I am smiling ear to ear.  I asked my mom about that picture and she said, "you always were happy around cars."

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 7

My mother told me that when I was very little I recognized cars by who I knew that owned one. I must have been 5 or 6 at the time (this would have been in the 50s) but I'd blurt out "there goes Uncle Bob's car" or "Uncle George's car". My parents, who probably couldn't do the same since they hardly ever noticed cars, were surprised by that but probably goes to an interest that developed entirely on it's own. The little great-nephew I gave some books to has, several times, said he likes my "old" truck (a 1989 Blazer) which is what spurred me to do what I can to encourage his interest. He certainly didn't get it from his parents, neither of whom are the slightest bit interested.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Reading the responses, I sure was lucky to grow up around a Father and uncles that appreciated and owned prewar cars.

Cars have always been in my blood, even if I did take a slightly different approach to the ones I like.

My Dad never did care for convertibles whereas I love them.

• Like 1

Just got around to going through this thread and it has some great stories.  As my dad faces typical issues one often encounters late in life it seems like just a couple of years since I was a 14 year old learning mechanical basics from him.

As a younger man he was a car guy but never owned his own collector cars. He (and my mom) supported my interest though and we spent a lot of time at car shows and with family friends active in the hobby.

He was an avid antique collector though - first railroad related, then gas and oil, then items related to the old west and antique arms.  He had a great eye in these fields and always thought fewer but better items were the way to go.  I have tried to do that but fumble the ball a bit here and there leaning towards driver level cars.  With other things I collect I have followed that philosophy though, and been happier for it.

I don't think he will be back to Hershey, at this point that trip is a bit much for him but I plan to get him out to a few small antique shows this year, the act of walking the tables for a little while I think is good stimulation.  Like many Hershey folks do, he has attended the Brimfield, MA antique show which is 3x per year at least one day each session since 1969 with the exception of my mom's passing back in Spring of 82.

I will say that was a turning point in that he remarried not too long afterwards and situations like that change a lot.  In short collecting has been our main connection for most of my adult life.  

I have memories though and a ton of good quality sh** so to speak that I appreciate having.  I hope my son wants some of this stuff or if not he can sell it off and  put it towards something he does want.. 😉

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2