1929 ford model a Phaeton, US $17,500.00:Reno, Nevada, United States

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156083783046

1929 5 Passenger Phaeton..

Engine is inline 4 Cyc. 40 HP  Rebuilt 

12 Volt System / 12 Volt Alternator....3 Speed Manual Sliding Transmission..

Paint is Original & decent...Body & Fenders Metal...( No Fiberglass)... Undercarriage is in good shape...( Rust Free Texas Car)

Convertible top with side curtains in great condition...Car runs and drives good...Fly In & Drive It Home..( At 22 MPH.)

Always garage stored..

Picture 1 of 19

Picture 7 of 19

Picture 14 of 19

Picture 12 of 19

Picture 15 of 19

• Like 2

That doesnt seem too bad a price to me (but I may be wrong). Werent these the top of the Model A food chain not too long ago? This looks like one of those get the mechanicals in order and enjoy.

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

That doesnt seem too bad a price to me (but I may be wrong). Werent these the top of the Model A food chain not too long ago? This looks like one of those get the mechanicals in order and enjoy.

Probably would have been priced near $30k not too long ago. Looks like a great survivor/driver and lots of fun. 

Maybe add OD and hydraulics for safety's sake, but otherwise keep it as-is. 

Wish it were closer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Maybe add OD and hydraulics for safety's sake, but otherwise keep it as-is. 

Wish it were closer. 

Well built mechanical VS home built hydraulic brakes. I think I would feel safer with the original setup.

• Like 1

They say that correctly set up mechanicals with woven linings and cast drums works very well.

I did have a Model A some years ago, and I apparently didn't have that set up. 

The 2 wheel brake '25 Chevy I drive these days causes far less anxiety. 

Might be a function of taking the time to "learn the car". 

Ultimately, Braking is between the tire and the road. How the resistance is applied to the wheel to transfer to the road doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Properly adjusted, mechanical brakes will stop a car basically as well as do hydraulically applied brakes.

Maximum braking is just before the tire breaks free (skids) from the road. Regardless of how the pressure is applied. Disc brakes cool better, resist fade, and have slightly better control IF you are putting them through to their limits! At antique automobile speeds, they do not make enough difference to be worth the modifications (relative to PROPERLY adjusted mechanical brakes through the same wheels and tires!).

Granted, much of that is my opinion. But it is supported by thousands of miles of driving properly adjusted mechanical brakes. Two wheel brakes of course are much less efficient than four wheel brakes (roughly only 40 percent as effective as four wheel brakes). And a person needs to familiarize themselves with their car's braking and handling capabilities, regardless of the car's vintage.

Model A Ford four wheel brakes are not the best around. This is due to the fact that their brakes have no self equalizing. This in turn requires the brakes be properly adjusted more often. Still, when properly adjusted, they work quite well and are quite adequate for a model A's speeds under most conditions.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Ultimately, Braking is between the tire and the road. How the resistance is applied to the wheel to transfer to the road doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Properly adjusted, mechanical brakes will stop a car basically as well as do hydraulically applied brakes.

Maximum braking is just before the tire breaks free (skids) from the road. Regardless of how the pressure is applied. Disc brakes cool better, resist fade, and have slightly better control IF you are putting them through to their limits! At antique automobile speeds, they do not make enough difference to be worth the modifications (relative to PROPERLY adjusted mechanical brakes through the same wheels and tires!).

Granted, much of that is my opinion. But it is supported by thousands of miles of driving properly adjusted mechanical brakes. Two wheel brakes of course are much less efficient than four wheel brakes (roughly only 40 percent as effective as four wheel brakes). And a person needs to familiarize themselves with their car's braking and handling capabilities, regardless of the car's vintage.

Model A Ford four wheel brakes are not the best around. This is due to the fact that their brakes have no self equalizing. This in turn requires the brakes be properly adjusted more often. Still, when properly adjusted, they work quite well and are quite adequate for a model A's speeds under most conditions.

My issue was very high pedal effort with little effect on speed. Possibly wrong lining set up...just never got it sorted. 

2 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

This is super cool. You see lots of As and some nicer ones for similar money. But I love the originality of this one. I love the comment about driving it home at 22 mph. 😀

I did find that comment cute. However, if your stock model A won't cruise at nearly 45 mph? There is something wrong with it. My friend years ago had a 1929 four-door sedan that he put many thousands of miles on. He worked as a customer service/salesman going to businesses all over the South Bay Area  (San Jose California) for work. For about five years the model A was his only car because he enjoyed driving it so much! We often went on antique auto tours and events on weekends, more often in his model A sedan, a lot of times in my model T speedster (or sometimes my 1929 Reo coupe). I many times drove his sedan, probably a thousand miles behind the wheel of that car myself.

The point of all that is that the cars can be good driving cars! And the brakes should work well. Steve was meticulous about adjusting the brakes on his model A, and made sure all four wheels were working at their best.

I usually drove his car a little slower than he did, I did not want it to break while I was driving. But Steve used to push it to slightly over 50 mph with stock gearing and pretty much everything else. However, gasoline was a little better in those days (let us not go down that rabbit hole!), so I suspect top speed wouldn't be that high today.

• Like 1