1970 Mercedes W114 Coupe 250C $1,000

One of Paul Bracq's best designs in my opinion, and a forerunner of most of the 1970's and 1980's Mercedes and BMW styling exercises.   I am 99% sure this posting will illicit yawns from most members here.   It is proof that I love all cool old cars, as I regularly post Lincolns from the 70's as among my favorites.  I owned a 1972 250C and have laid eyes on a smog infested 1976 W114.  

They are well styled, but I will admit the interiors remind of minimalist German and Russian cars of the era.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

One of Paul Bracq's best designs in my opinion, and a forerunner of most of the 1970's and 1980's Mercedes and BMW styling exercises.   I am 99% sure this posting will illicit yawns from most members here.   It is proof that I love all cool old cars, as I regularly post Lincolns from the 70's as among my favorites.  I owned a 1972 250C and have laid eyes on a smog infested 1976 W114.  

They are well styled, but I will admit the interiors remind of minimalist German and Russian cars of the era.  

I like it. Like you I like ALL types. Heck, I would love to have a Cadillac Cimarron! 

• Like 2

I like the car but scenario seller is in is typical but with an MB and not some more common unfinished hot rod project.  Same end result...

Start with solid looking complete car, take it apart and discard a bunch of stuff.  Get stuck, lose interest, run out of money - whatever.

Now stuck with $1,000 parts car.

That likely was a viable project, too bad.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2024 at 3:27 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Marketplace - 1970 Mercedes W114, 250C | Facebook

Clean body, very nice interior, will clean up real nice. No engine or transmission. Was going to make a hot rod/outlaw out of it, but shifting directions. 3 owner car and I have an amazing box of paperwork and history as well as W114 factory books etc. it’s a shame I cannot build them all.

Product photo of 1970 Mercedes W114, 250C

Product photo of 1970 Mercedes W114, 250C

most likely built in Mechelen, Belgium, where the factory was in the 1970s.

7 hours ago, demco32 said:

most likely built in Mechelen, Belgium, where the factory was in the 1970s.

Did Belgium get the gastarbeiter program? I remember that was very controversial among the Mercedes club in the early 70's. 

5 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Did Belgium get the gastarbeiter program? I remember that was very controversial among the Mercedes club in the early 70's. 

yes, but these day's foreigners don't want to work anymore.

they benefit from social security.

but that's another story and doesn't fit in this forum.

6 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

I never heard from the ''gastarbeiter program''.The cars they assembled in Mechelen rusted as hell because they did not have a bath to protect them agains corrosion .They came on the street without any rust protection .All the coupes came from Germany .

22 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I like the car but scenario seller is in is typical but with an MB and not some more common unfinished hot rod project.  Same end result...

Start with solid looking complete car, take it apart and discard a bunch of stuff.  Get stuck, lose interest, run out of money - whatever.

Now stuck with $1,000 parts car.

That likely was a viable project, too bad.

Ha! I have a ml320 in the barn. Great vehicle until the computer went out. If I had the knowledge I would do the proverbial ls swap!!

Worse part is the motor still runs great!

• Haha 1

A pal put a late model MB v12 in an SL like ours.  Ordinarily not my thing but he is an ex MB tech and engineer. 

Looks like it was born in the car which has been covered in a few national publications.  The stock V8 560 SL was within a breath or two of the contemporary Corvette, Mustang GT or Porsche of the era.  His is a rocketship..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

A pal put a late model MB v12 in an SL like ours.  Ordinarily not my thing but he is an ex MB tech and engineer. 

Looks like it was born in the car which has been covered in a few national publications.  The stock V8 560 SL was within a breath or two of the contemporary Corvette, Mustang GT or Porsche of the era.  His is a rocketship..

Steve, 

I have known you have had the 560SL for a long time.  And I appreciate your friend's approach but at 60 I don't need to be 'launched'.  That 5.6 V8 is probably the finest engine of that era.  

I have owned several 350 SL's (1972-1973) I have owned a 1994 SL500.  I have owned a 1994 V12 SEL.   I always wanted a 560 SEC but I doubt I will get my chance at a nice one.   

I have "saved" on my facebook marketplace a 1972 350SL, somewhat higher mileage at 114,000, but meticulously maintained with a nice back story.  Not sure he will accept my eventual offer of $8,000, but it is owned by a 93 year old man in Kansas City, who was given the car by his boss 25 years ago.    It is dark green with a green leather interior, not everyone's favorite but it beats the blue 1973 I had or the red 1972 350SL.   

I am waiting for a CD to come due in late May.  I did speak to the fellow and it was a wonderful conversation.  And - that is the best part of the hobby.  

I have never gotten close on a 560SL, but I always wondered if they were worth the wait over the 350/450SL small bumper cars.  And as far as I can tell, this era of SL will not likely ever match the Pagodas.  

Product photo of 1972 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)
  • Like 1