Record-Setting Sale of a 1957 BMW Isetta Microcar

Really an amazing result, especially if you consider "by the pound"! $79,800

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/record-setting-isetta/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=EDaily&utm_campaign=2024-03-03&uemlid=5c52623cdf01c39cebf1f9966b2e8670a226918da0306e2d4b2032cdc6ca47ec

There are a lot of niches in the car hobby we don't concern ourselves with. Microcars, Japanese cars and Military vehicles are three examples.  I don't want to own any (I had a neighbor with 31 Military vehicles) but I do find it interesting.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting. I don’t really want one but I do notice these whenever they show up on the various local car ads. That’s quite a price, but from my quick glance it looks like they really did a great job on the restoration. 

I would love to drive one for the experience. I often think a micro car would be great for my short commute to work, but when the weather is good enough to drive an old car I just ride my bike. 

4 hours ago, Gearheadengineer said:

I would love to drive one for the experience. I often think a micro car would be great for my short commute to work... 

This driving experience, by Doug DeMuro on Youtube,

might help to satisfy your curiosity, Gearhead.  It might

also extinguish anyone's desire for such a small car!

• Like 3

I've commented in previous threads about driving the one I had for about a year.  It was a VERY good California car and I loved the experience, just not the lack of acceleration when entering a highway.   Restoration for these is very straightforward with outstanding parts availability.  They do rust and that would be where you could spend a lot doing one up, but there are enough of them in the marketplace if one really looks seriously to avoid the bodywork expense.  

Honestly, I can't justify the price of the recent sale other than some auctions having open bars for the guy wearing the bidder's pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm a microcar enthusiast and even I think this is lunacy.

If you're microcar-curious, there's a great event called Meet In The Middle which will take place in South Bend IN the first weekend in August. https://www.microcarmeet.com/

What StillOutThere describes is why I love these silly little things. There's something whimsical about driving one that puts a huge smile on your face, along with anyone who sees you. And the people that own them tend to be equally interesting and fun. I describe us as weird car people. Whether "weird" describes the car or the person is open to debate. 🙂

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, TAKerry said:

The price these cars get along with Fiat jollies makes me want to quote PT Barnum.

While I feel the same, that can be said of every new "record-setting" price we seem to see (insert car name here) each passing day in the car hobby.  Things keep changing. It's not like the "good old days when we walked to school and back up hill both ways in the snow year round!" 😝

Robert 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr B said:

While I feel the same, that can be said of every new "record-setting" price we seem to see (insert car name here) each passing day in the car hobby.  Things keep changing. It's not like the "good old days when we walked to school and back up hill both ways in the snow year round!" 😝

Robert 

And no shoes.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

This car brings back memories of one that was in my neighborhood growing up. The car had been won by a lady who didn’t drive. It sat in her driveway for several years until one Halloween, when some guys picked up the car and deposited it in the drainage ditch in front of her house. She got someone to get the car out of the ditch and then must have sold it, because it never came back to her driveway.

This car probably made some sense in old-world cities where the streets are narrow and parking is at a premium. Here in the USA it is a different matter.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird 

• Like 1

My HS band director was quite the character. Very entertaining and quirky fellow. He always drove a used beat up squareback VW. He also had VW wagon. He would tell stories of his younger years when he owned one of these. First time I had ever heard of them. I think years went by before I had even seen one, but the tales he told left a good impression. Every time I see one I think of him.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 10:11 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

This driving experience, by Doug DeMuro on Youtube,

might help to satisfy your curiosity, Gearhead.  It might

also extinguish anyone's desire for such a small car!

Great video...I learned enough to appreciate the crazies that own one (Which I will never be).