Battery Question

I am preparing to show my 1963 Corvair Spyder at an upcoming National, and I am having difficulty finding a battery that has the look of the original. 

"Vintage" batteries are available for '65-'69 Corvairs but not for the early models.  There are not even fake tar-tops available for the size 51 battery that goes in early Corvairs.

My question is, will I lose points for a battery that doesn't look like the original, even though such a battery does not exist?

You will probable have point deduction for the incorrect battery.   However it is usually only 1 or 2 points

If you have everything else in top condition and other owners have the same battery issue then they will 

also have deductions.    I am unfamiliar with the CORSA judging points

• Like 1

Roger,

The total points for a battery is 5 points.  The AACA Judging Guidelines state this regarding the battery.  Thus, you would want a battery that is from the era of the vehicle. 

image.png.70b080ce9b1d73d746b4cf9c4757b509.png

It might not be a bad idea to send a message to the AACA VP - Judging Jim Elliott to let him know what issues you have encountered and see if he has any insight.

Jim Elliott VP - Judging PO Box 723
Yorktown, VA 23692

Tim

• Like 1

with AACA judging,  would it be true if there was any sort of battery only 4 points would be deducted.... the only time 5 points would be deducted if there was no battery present. 

• Like 1

Roger, the information given by Barney is incorrect.  Guidelines are: maximum deduction if item is missing, non-authentic, or no longer fit for purpose intended.  Thus, wrong battery is a 5 point deduction.  You can email me at johnwharvey@comcast.net and I’ll give you my phone number so we can chat. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Avanti Bill said:

I got a correct battery for my 66 Corsa convertible from Battery Central Mall in VA.  It is an Optima battery in a correct case which I have had good luck with.  

https://batterycentralmall.com/

Yep, vintage batteries are available for late model Corvairs, but there are none available that fit early models.  

Be aware......these batteries are constructed as ordered so allow some time if you are preparing for a certain show. I ordered one from them about the first of the year and have not heard from them yet. They took my order and said they would contact me to access my credit card when they were ready to build the battery. He said at the time that they were several months behind. I'm hoping the hear from them this month

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 8:28 AM, Avanti Bill said:

Never had points deducted with these don't know why I would.  They are expensive but hold up well.  This is for a 65-66 Corvair.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 081723.png

I just placed my order for this battery.  I hate that the correct Group 53 batteries are no longer available, so this will have to do.  Thanks to all for your help.

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 10:48 AM, real61ss said:

Be aware......these batteries are constructed as ordered so allow some time if you are preparing for a certain show. I ordered one from them about the first of the year and have not heard from them yet. They took my order and said they would contact me to access my credit card when they were ready to build the battery. He said at the time that they were several months behind. I'm hoping the hear from them this month

I ordered one for my '70 Camaro back in November. At that time, they said six to eight months. I haven't heard an update since January.