News flash: English antique auto expert says something good about America, re: 1915 Buick 6 cyl.

Since I've never heard an English person say anything good about America before, I was surprised and pleasingly flattered by this bloke's assessment of the 1915 Buick. He says American cars were advanced over their cars at the time, and he was especially impressed by our Delco electrical system with the distributor. He's amazed by the car, actually. Makes me feel good to be an American:

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Morgan Wright said:

He says American cars were advanced over their cars at the time, and he was especially impressed by our Delco electrical system with the distributor.

I agree. While most American car manufacturers had equipped their cars with battery ignition and electric starters by the mid teens, European car manufacturers stuck to magneto ignition and kept hand cranking engines well into the 1920‘s. If a European car of the 1920’s to early 30’s was equipped with battery ignition, it was usually of American manufacture. Most innovations came from the US and were adopted in Europe.

How right Morgan and Peter you are, hope you dont mind me coming in here Morgan,

as i wont to follow up on with your subject about  how great  American  cars  are.

I was born in in New Zealand, so i know this story very well,  a New Zealand family  named the Nairn brothers,

went to Baghdad to start an  incredible transport delivery operation  between Baghdad and Damascus in the early twenties.

After trying many makes and model vehicles from Europe and around the world, they settled with Buicks and Cadillacs,

because they were the only  forms of transport that could handle the desert conditions,--the rest is history,and many books were written of this great feat.---books---The road to Baghdad----The Nairn way.---desert  bus to Baghdad---.

Photos from  seventy years of Buick  1973.

IMG_2411 (1).JPG Baghdad.JPG

IMG_2413 (1).JPG Baghdad.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The D-45 that has been in my family for over 60 years was actually built in October of 1915.  The designated model year Buicks actually started their production run in the preceding calendar year.  I have the actual factory documentation to back this point up.  Here is a photo of that factory document.  This also proves that the 1916 D-45 that is in my shop is a true 'BRASS ERA' automobile since it was built before January 1, 1916

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

PC100677.JPG

• Like 7

Morgan,

I'm glad that you posted this.  This is straight from the horse's mouth as that old saying goes.  The 'model year' and 'production year' are two entirely different things and this article states this quite clearly.  I have a bunch of the old BUICK BULLETINS and the very one that you posted from.  My D-45 WAS produced in calendar year 1915 and Mr. Strong's article explains just how this came about.  America was very much an 'agriculture oriented' country in the first part of the 1900's and farmers had cash in hand from the sale of their crops.  This was a very good time to sell new automobiles and the automobile manufacturers knew this and marketed their new models to take advantage of this.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting..........I have played with and driven Buicks from 1915 to modern cars......I have NEVER driven a Buick that wasn't fun, a decent driver, and just overall a very decent car.......Can't say that about Cadillac, and a bunch of others. In the marketplace they offer very good value. And to be honest......EVERY Buick guy into pre war cars are friendly and helpful. I have found help and parts in just days on almost impossible to get parts......and all at very reasonable prices. I would have been active with Buicks earlier if I had known. In the unlikely event the 34 goes away........I will buy another. Probably earlier........

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks Morgan for posting that.  I was never sure of when the release to the market of the next year production model came about.  Now I can be confident that my 1925 can be called 100 years old by this coming fall! All I have to concerned about now is that I don't make national news headlines.."81 year old senior citizen crashes 100 year old car"

• Like 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:52 AM, Morgan Wright said:

I'm 68 and don't drive my 106 year old Buick much for fear of wrecking it.

Like they say, "They can always make new people (babies) but they can't make new 1917 Buicks"

Drive it like you stole it! 😎

• Like 2

I'll drive it more when I give it a brake job. They are starting to squeek now going down long steep hills. The 80 year old asbestos is starting to lose its battle against the rusty drums.

I never gave it a brake job because if the brakes ain't broke, don't break them.