Anyone in west central Nevada (Sparks) want to look at a Mercedes-Benz for me?

I drove a dark blue 1974 450SLC in high school and it was a terrific car. Smooth, fast, comfortable and I though it looked great. I can't understand why they're not more valuable. The proportions are quite good and it's a lot more practical than the SL. These things can't be $10,000 throw-aways for much longer.

• Like 2

A well sorted small pre 5mph bumper car might be collectible but appreciation is limited because it’s supposed to be an SL.  I’ve owned 3 small bumper 72-73 SLs.  If the SLC speaks to you I understand.  But appreciation ( monetarily and collector wise ) seems unlikely.  

5 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Fish you know I cannot help being stuck here in CT but...looks like your becoming an R107 collector! 👍😁

Clean looking SLC...

I had the 380 out yesterday in the unusually pleasant January weather.   I still can’t believe I waited this long to own one.  

3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

A well sorted small pre 5mph bumper car might be collectible but appreciation is limited because it’s supposed to be an SL.  I’ve owned 3 small bumper 72-73 SLs.  If the SLC speaks to you I understand.  But appreciation ( monetarily and collector wise ) seems unlikely.  

I’m collecting the set, still need a 500SEL and a wagon but I’m so happy with the 380SL I decided I needed the big brother to go with it.  

3 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks to me like it may have been in an accident by the different color on the door and rear quarter. Or is it my 71 year old eyes?

You’re killing me, now I see it too.  

• Like 2

Fish, did you ever join R107 subforum on Benzworld?  It may be the ideal place to enlist help here.

Plus the cast iron block cars have a couple different things to look for.  The FI system on those is finnicky (D-jet?) which you probably already know.  Metal timing chain giudes though - yeah!

15 hours ago, keiser31 said:

Looks to me like it may have been in an accident by the different color on the door and rear quarter. Or is it my 71 year old eyes?

Not so much color as a difference in the 'lustre' between the two panels.  The rear quarter panel appears to have its original OEM shine to it, where the door has had a repaint that got dull over the years.

I agree with others, the '73 would be the best looking without the ugly 5-mph bumpers and the larger outside mirrors later 450SLC's got for the North American market.

Craig

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Fish, did you ever join R107 subforum on Benzworld?  It may be the ideal place to enlist help here.

Plus the cast iron block cars have a couple different things to look for.  The FI system on those is finnicky (D-jet?) which you probably already know.  Metal timing chain giudes though - yeah!

I did join Benzworld and there is a tremendous amount of knowledge there.   I’ve found the AACA to be a little friendlier overall and have had just as many questions answered here as by the Mercedes guys.  

I lucked out with the 380SL, It was well maintained by someone who knew how to work on it and the fuel injection hadn’t been fouled up.  So of course that means I know how to work on the 450.

Seller claims the 450 runs well with a lot of new fuel system parts.   It’s the interior that’s a mess.

2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

I did join Benzworld and there is a tremendous amount of knowledge there.   I’ve found the AACA to be a little friendlier overall and have had just as many questions answered here as by the Mercedes guys.  

It only takes 12 to 18 months for them to warm up to you! 😁😁😁

I am hardly ever on BW anymore but if I am stuck, I search BW before I use the factory manuals I think I paid $250 for.  The shop manual cd they used to pedal for these cars is useless btw.  Not the actual content in the books...