1966 Dodge Monaco convertible - 7k CAD - Saint-Hubert, Quebec, Canada

So I've been low key looking for a Dodge Monaco convertible since my friend sold his for 3k that had a 440 in it. So seeing one like this is....as Don Corleone has put it, "look what they've done to my boy.". Wish they had showed what the interior looked like. Or the description wasn't completely useless. Could at least see if just doing a proper paintjob would be enough to make it look decent.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-voiture-collection/longueuil-rive-sud/1966-dodge-monaco-convertible-383-pc-4-baril-automatique-au-pl/m6459597

b8762715-ee7a-471b-a630-d930d35a602f.webp

d04dc081-14eb-45d6-94e8-497d7b6dc27e.webp

ef4efc7c-e9ea-404b-97de-2f677d0164c5.webp

I have always wanted a car with a flame paint job. I just haven't owned a car lately that it would look appropriate on. I've seen unlikely cars like a PT Cruiser and a "new' VW beetle with flames. I did manage to put some flames on the tank of my customized Honda Shadow.  I guess that I'll still be waiting years from now.

2 hours ago, Rivguy said:

I have always wanted a car with a flame paint job. I just haven't owned a car lately that it would look appropriate on. I've seen unlikely cars like a PT Cruiser and a "new' VW beetle with flames. I did manage to put some flames on the tank of my customized Honda Shadow.  I guess that I'll still be waiting years from now.

I have a good friend with a beautiful 66 GTO. Car is red with a flame paint job and cragars. Not the way I would do one, but he bought it like that with intentions to paint over. He got used to the look and many years later it is still that way. It actually does look pretty darn good!

1966 US Monaco specs:

https://www.oldride.com/library/1966_dodge_monaco.html

1966 Monaco Convertible - Canadian only

For 1966, in the U.S., the Monaco replaced the Custom 880 series and the former Monaco became the Monaco 500. The basic Monaco was available in hardtop coupe, four-door (pillarless) hardtop sedan, conventional four-door (pillared) sedan, and four-door station wagon bodystyles. In the U.S., the Monaco 500 was available only as a hardtop coupe. Although there was no convertible in the 1966 U.S. Monaco range, there was in the 1966 Canadian Monaco lineup. 

Canadian Brochure:

n_1966 Dodge Full Size (Cdn)-04-05.jpg

Edited by Twisted Shifter (see edit history)
  • Like 3

CA $7000. = US $5173.

Sounds like a super deal, even if you have to tow it home through the snow.

A unique, Canadian-only full sized, V-8 convertible for 5 grand.

How much might it cost to get it across to the US in customs/broker/miscellaneous fees?

19 hours ago, Dave Wells said:

CA $7000. = US $5173.

Sounds like a super deal, even if you have to tow it home through the snow.

A unique, Canadian-only full sized, V-8 convertible for 5 grand.

How much might it cost to get it across to the US in customs/broker/miscellaneous fees?

Any comments or answers out there ?

Not from me. I struggle with this. I usually chicken out. It probably isn't that bad. There have been threads.....

About the car itself, it's a Canadian Plodge if it matches the brochure. Down here just across the border in WA we love those. That is a Plymouth Fury dash and probably the rest of the interior is Plymouth too. There was a Canadian model called Custom(?) 880. We did not have them in the US. I worked on one, same year, back in the late 80s. It was a wagon. It had a Plymouth dash and whole interior like this probably does, except for special Dodge emblems. The outside looked about like a US Dodge Polara or Monaco, except for small details.

The engine is painted a color that would not have been used on any B/RB engine in 1966 if it were a US model. Not sure about Canada. It is a Chrysler color. The car also appears to have the good exhaust manifolds, so probably has the improved heads right along with them. None of that appeared until 68. I think the air cleaner is newer too, but not sure. I'll bet the whole engine is newer.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

On 1/24/2024 at 3:59 PM, Rivguy said:

I recall seeing a FLAME PAINT JOB on a PINTO Coupe, and the Flames Started from the REAR - GOING FORWARD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

So had a look at it and oof. Rust in multiple places, stored outside, and the inside is a wreck (missing door sides, seats look rough. It might have been a nice car once upon a time, but the owners pretty much pissed away the value. Would take another 20k to make it respectable.