For Sale: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Catalina Hardtop - "All original, numbers matching" - Non-running Project - Vancouver, BC - Not Mine - 2/28 & 2/16 Reduced: Now $4,500 - 2/29 Deleted

For sale on Craigslist: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door Catalina Hardtop in Vancouver, BC, Canada  -  $8,000  -   2/28: No phone # provided again. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  96497ce42d8b3a3687b68e729f2df94e@sale.craigslist.org

On 2/16, Seller reduced price to $6,000 and relisted on Craigslist

On 2/28, Seller reduced price to $4,500 and relisted on Craigslist

Link to relist: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/vancouver-1951-pontiac-catalina-door/7722329609.html

Seller's Description:

1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door Catalina Hardtop

• condition: fair
  • odometer: 123456
  • transmission: manual
  • paint color: green
  • title status: clean

1951 Pontiac Catalina 2 door - My wife has owned this for 10 years - It’s been stored indoors - It’s all original and numbers matching - Don’t expect to be a running car as it’s not! - Car is solid with no parts missing - You need to bring a trailer and haul it away - This is a steal of a deal! - We will not go less than $8,000 firm so don’t ask - Absolutely no trades! - If you don’t have the cash move on - First come first served - Will not hold
When replying leave your name and number, no name no number and no response from

image.png.a4aefb3fca2637fef315d0fb0948adbd.png

image.png.7a9379b2c657f84559d3a410513df3d9.png

image.png.13c86cb6ce990f1d739b810bbb23d82a.png

image.png.10a3c3a41012b826cc4c0777315508a5.png

image.png.0b6c3f3ba2bb6ad90beb495fa153cb9e.png

image.png.e0e2de567f0af8338348631d2f8d3e0f.png

image.png.6840195da89767dd44b11903c877d4d5.png

image.png.6ba7d97df184dba231fabae0496efc2e.png

image.png.ef16cc4dfe382336a0d5be7afae5cc83.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Catalina Hardtop - "All original, numbers matching" - Non-running Project - $8,000 - Vancouver, BC - Not Mine

Is the seller seeing something that I am not? 8K for a car that needs everything to be a 20K car. Where's the upside? Is there a wad of cash stashed under the front seat? If this were my car, I would look to donate this to a high school, trade school, or junior college. This could stimulate interest in the hobby. Then I would take the tax write off and figure that I was ahead of the game. IMO numbers matching only matters if you have a rare car, either antique or high performance. 

• Like 4

In this part of the world [ the car is only a few miles from me } this is absolutely a good deal. Two or three years from now this will be showing up at car events with a crate motor and modern drive line. Compared to 99% of what is on offer around here in the sub $10,00.00 bracket this one is a sure seller.

Just next door to Washington State, but not just another country, a whole different world as far as old cars go.

• Like 1

1912Staver

Sorry to disagree but I am outright Pontiac lover, nut, fanatic, just LOVE this car, I also live in California where people and prices of cars are outright crazy, and yes I do agree that even if a car was a few thousand more than I wanted to pay and really like the car I still would buy. No pictures of the interior or engine, mostly likely in bad shape. Red primer on trunk lid showing through never a good sign. I am for getting what you like, but there are better buys out there, 

• Like 1

I have to disagree with 1912Staver as well.  Though I to like Pontiacs and have owned 3 of them myself I would not buy something that is overpriced regardless of part of the world I lived in.  I would simply wait for another one to come on the market.  Needless to say this one needs too much work for $8000!

• Like 2

I did notice,  the car is in Canada, and did the conversion. I love conversions, especially in France, where I can get a croissant for $2.50 USD, instead of  $6.00 here in California and half the taste.

The 2 grand saving will put eaten up with transportation and paperwork getting it over the border. Since it doesn't run that's a issue. 

But I still like the car, and a sucker for chrome, 

• Like 1

I will put things into a bit of perspective. { I have been doing the old car thing here in British Columbia for about 50 years now }

First thing you have to realize is that for the local market this is actually a quite desirable car. Many / most of the more upmarket local cars were high graded to a U.S. buyer a decade or more ago. Or in very long term ownership, will as often as not will change hands to an insider.

Great body style of a great looking car. Most  sub 10 K 1950's , 2 Dr. Ht. cars around here are needs everything , total basket cases. And most of the time nothing for paperwork. The paperwork alone makes this car  at least 30 % - 40 % more valuable than the same car without paperwork.

And that any car bought in the U.S. is going to cost a lot more by the time you have it home in your garage. Anywhere from 50% more to 100% what you paid for it in the U.S. { Canadian dollars out of your pocket vs what you paid in U.S. dollars } So that $20,000 New Mexico 51 Pontiac is going to look more like $40,000 to a British Columbia buyer.

Also bear in mind it is just as hard for a Canadian to earn / set aside $100.00 Canadian as it is for a U.S. person to earn / set aside $100.00 U.S.D.

Worst of both worlds, cost of living is high here and wages are nearly always less than in the U.S. Why do you think so many U.S. TV and Movie production companies do so much filming here in Canada? They save a ton of money  paying Canadians to do all the non actor work compared to paying U.S. wages to film in the U.S.

The market here is tiny compared to the U.S. , but the number of affordable , decent starting point cars around here is even tinier. Much tinier.

Not what I would do ; but like I said, 98 % this will end up as a street machine with a crate motor, clip , 9 inch rear end.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1912Staver , thank you so much for the detailed remarks, it makes alot more sense to me now, in the way you put it, I certainly appreciate that. Ok then I owe you a beer, or coffee, or tea, whatever you want, I enjoy listening to a knowledgably person, thanks  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pont 46 said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1488167191745749/

51 pontiac 20k still overpriced but, seller is at least open to offers

Pont 46,

In case you haven't seen it, the '51 Pontiac in New Mexico for $20k was posted here.

Link: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/410098-for-sale-1951-pontiac-chieftain-2dr-catalina-hardtop-two-tone-good-condition-albuquerque-nm-not-mine/#comment-2634457

See comments from other knowledgeable Forum members. That, and the pictures, are among the best parts of this Forum!

JP

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker (see edit history)

14 hours ago, 6T-FinSeeker said:

Pont 46,

In case you haven't seen it, the '51 Pontiac in New Mexico for $20k was posted here.

Link: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/410098-for-sale-1951-pontiac-chieftain-2dr-catalina-hardtop-two-tone-good-condition-albuquerque-nm-not-mine/#comment-2634457

See comments from other knowledgeable Forum members. That, and the pictures, are among the best parts of this Forum!

JP

I did look at the post on the New Mexico car. I would put the keys in the car, turn the ignition and drive it. The car in Canada is far from that and from a wet climate (no telling how much rust). As far as the engine goes, it hasn't run in 10 years, assume toast. There is no way that you could bring this car up to look as good as the New Mexico car for 14K. This is the car that you look at with beer goggles assuming that the paint will rub out and the chrome will polish up and 5 years later your wife is asking for a divorce because of this money pit. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I guess my previous comments were not clear enough. This car only makes sense to a local Canadian buyer. That's because of the very high cost of bringing a  " better " car back home to Canada. 99% of the local, potential buyers could not care less that a running , driving 75%+ better overall New Mexico car is available  for only about 4 or 5 times the price. { by the time you get it back home and paid for in Canadian dollars. } 

The Canada / U.S. border is a 50 foot high wall of extra expense for would be Canadian buyers. Even more so at the entry level, starting point of a street machine level. 

Whatever power train is in either car is going to be the first thing pulled out and listed on marketplace for $500.00 - $1000.00. Then a clip goes in , followed by a crate motor. Dozens of cars like this at car shows around here. Tons of interest in cars like this in my area. The scruffy but not too far gone appearance is seen as a bonus to most potential buyers, not a drawback that needs $ spent to correct.

I agree, this car makes no sense at all for a U.S. buyer who has financially unhindered access to the far larger U.S. market.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Catalina Hardtop - "All original, numbers matching" - Non-running Project - Vancouver, BC - Not Mine - 2/16 Reduced: Now $6,000

On 2/16,

Seller reduced price to $6,000 and relisted on Craigslist: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door Catalina Hardtop in Vancouver, BC, Canada  -  No phone # provided again. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  8cabbb7435373c04bf1236734ad37768@sale.craigslist.org

Link to relist: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/vancouver-1951-pontiac-chieftan/7718473095.html

Seller's Description:

1951 Pontiac Catalina 2 door - My wife has owned this for 10 years - It’s been stored indoors - It’s all original and numbers matching - Don’t expect to be a running car as it’s not! - Car is solid with no parts missing - You need to bring a trailer and haul it away - This is a steal of a deal! - We will not go less than $6,000 firm so don’t ask - Absolutely no trades! - If you don’t have the cash move on - First come first served - Will not hold - When replying leave your name and number, no name no number and no response from me.

image.png.342fa1407c84bcc85357249055eea8e5.png

Just by accident i have exactly the same car as this one for sale here in Belgium .I had to buy it to get another car .Mine runs and brakes very good , no rust to speak of , good chrome, automatic OK  etc .Was imported 30 years ago from the US .Has Belgian papers now .Asking 17.000 euro for it

IMG_8338.JPG

IMG_8349.JPG

IMG_8358.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Catalina Hardtop - "All original, numbers matching" - Non-running Project - Vancouver, BC - Not Mine - 2/28 & 2/16 Reduced: Now $4,500

On 2/28,

Seller reduced price to $4,500 and relisted on Craigslist: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2-door Catalina Hardtop in Vancouver, BC, Canada  -  2/28: No phone # provided again. Reply to Seller through Craigslist email to:  96497ce42d8b3a3687b68e729f2df94e@sale.craigslist.org

Link to relist: https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/vancouver-1951-pontiac-catalina-door/7722329609.html

Seller's Description:

1951 Pontiac Catalina 2 door - My wife has owned this for 10 years - It’s been stored indoors - It’s all original and numbers matching - Don’t expect to be a running car as it’s not! - Car is solid with no parts missing - You need to bring a trailer and haul it away - This is a steal of a deal! - We will not go less than $4,500 firm so don’t ask - Absolutely no trades ! - If you don’t have the cash move on - First come first served - Will not hold - DON'T WASTE MY TIME OR YOURS! - NO NEGOTIATIONS AND NO TRADES - When replying leave your name and number, no name no number and no response from me.

The seller is doing all the negotiating for you. He started out at $8,000 firm (it was a steal of a deal then) and dropped the price down to $4,500 firm all by himself so he's been wasting his own time and getting an education about selling project cars too. Wait til it comes down to $2500 firm, then show up with a trailer and haul this non-runner away.........If it turns out it's not restorable it's worth the $2,500 in parts alone. 

• Thanks 1

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1951 Pontiac Chieftain 2dr Catalina Hardtop - "All original, numbers matching" - Non-running Project - Vancouver, BC - Not Mine - 2/28 & 2/16 Reduced: Now $4,500 - 2/29 Deleted