1981 AMC Eagle Kammback, not mine.

I had a 1984 Eagle wagon for a couple years. I want to tell you it was the best car I ever drove in snow! I knew someone that had one of these, bought cheap. I don't know if it was as nice in the snow or not. But he didn't keep it long. 

I don't know about other states? But one needs to be very careful about the AMC Eagle cars of the early 1980s in California. Getting the carbureted cars to pass their strict smog rules was nearly impossible, unless something has changed in the past ten years. Some specific and unique to them part was not being manufactured, and virtually none were available. The only way (ten years ago?) to get around California's carbureted rules was an optional fuel injection system that could be bought for a couple grand.

The Eagle wagons really are good cars. I wish I could have one now. But I haven't seen one on a California road in nearly ten years. And there used to be a lot of people around here that used to love them!

• Like 2

Dad built a house for a gazillionaire when I was in HS. It was really just a midway stopping point between his home in FLA and his summer home in Maine. He had a custom blue bird motor home with an Eagle wagon painted to match. I remember him saying how much he loved that car. 

12 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I had a 1984 Eagle wagon for a couple years. I want to tell you it was the best car I ever drove in snow! I knew someone that had one of these, bought cheap. I don't know if it was as nice in the snow or not. But he didn't keep it long. 

I don't know about other states? But one needs to be very careful about the AMC Eagle cars of the early 1980s in California. Getting the carbureted cars to pass their strict smog rules was nearly impossible, unless something has changed in the past ten years. Some specific and unique to them part was not being manufactured, and virtually none were available. The only way (ten years ago?) to get around California's carbureted rules was an optional fuel injection system that could be bought for a couple grand.

The Eagle wagons really are good cars. I wish I could have one now. But I haven't seen one on a California road in nearly ten years. And there used to be a lot of people around here that used to love them!

When I lived up near Donner Summit (7000ft) around 1980, these Eagles and Wagoneers were the only choices if you wanted four wheel drive and didn't want a truck. You are correct about California smog on cars 1976-1988. I took my grand daughter's Lexus to get smoged so she could sell it and had a conversation with the technician. On newer cars they don't actually test emissions. They just hook up to the on board diagnosis port and the car's computer tells them if all is well. On earlier cars, they 1.) do a visual inspection to confirm all required components are in place, 2.) put the car on rollers and drive it at a two different required speeds and RPMs. The technicians hate this because it takes much longer and sometimes the gearing in the car doesn't fit with what the state thinks the RPM should be to test at the required speed, which can result in a warning letter sent to the test station. Too many of those and they lose their license. There are a couple of 1980 MGBs in a club I belong to, and they get quite concerned every two years when they have to test.