Saving 1929 Buick from the scrap

Tom Rose

Looking for help to get my car "going" again. It was my late father's, which he signed over to me. It has languished in storage for years. Presently in new location and trying to continue where I left off... Firstly, having assessed the body's wood-rot problem, I have a plan of attack. I need help with getting a tool to remove the door hinge pins, then getting the drip rails off. I tried but had to stop myself before I destroyed them! I see why people threw these cars away once. I think they were built to sell, then, who cares, right? My father rebuilt a 1930 Chevy's wood when I was 9 or 10; some wood was reusable. He used pine and he did a nice job - I heard him tell that he spent a good 8 hours building the new A-pillars... Anyway, my Buick has so much wood damage (A-pillars completely rotted away), I've had to "prop" the body up to keep it stable. I need good patterns or crappy parts good enough to use as patterns. Before I forget, the model # is 29-46, and is a 121 inch wheelbase car with the 90 hp six cylinder. (was the mid-range car offered that year). The body is a 3-window Business Coupe. Thanks for your support of these cool old "artforms". (TR).

• Like 4

Rusty Otoole, You said a mouth full. I tried to rebuild a 1928 Chev. National Coupe. Body by Fisher. What a useless car. All wood and few sheet metal covering. Buicks of that era are the same. Here is what I see. By the time you reach half way you will be so frustrated you would wish you never started this project. I would go for a dodge or Chrysler project.

The big question is do want a project or driver ?  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:26 AM, dodge28 said:

I would go for a dodge or Chrysler project.

The big question is do want a project or driver ?  

Go for a Hudson of the same era. 
Alls folks will see as you pass them is your big smile. 

• Like 1

In the 20s there were limits to how big a piece of metal could be stamped into a car body. This made all metal bodies unusual. 

In the 20s there was no shortage of skilled workers who understood woodworking and carriage building. This made the production of wood framed bodies cost effective.  

However as you have discovered, wood rots and rebuilding a wood framed body is a very involved process that takes special skills. There does exist wood “kits” for very popular cars but the effort required to make these limits them to only very popular cars. 
Unfortunately for you 1929 Buick coupes are not on the list of common and popular cars.  

I can understand the sentiment of wanting to bring back dad’s car, but if the wooden structure is as bad as you describe, you are facing a monumental task that again requires specialized tools and skills.  (Read time and money) 

We don’t know your background, but if you want to enjoy an old car “just like dad’s” then the easier more realistic path is to get a better example and utilize parts from the deteriorated one. 

• Like 2

Don't be discouraged if you have patience, time, space and energy. I rebuilt this 1931 Chevrolet Coach in 2008-2013 as my first endeavor in old cars, car looked great in sellers garage except doors were sagging 1"! Rebuild included replacing about 1/3 of the wood including A pillars. Was not easy, but I had no previous experience. Sheet metal was excellent, but lot of wood rot, and some previously poorly done repairs. Replaced front door posts, half the subframe, 1/2 the roof wood, and entire assembly above windshield and some work on door sills. A few photos to inspire you to get on with it. You will need to have basic woodworking gear (table saw, bandsaw, belt sander, drill press, hand tools), but it's not rocket science. Use ash for structural stuff, poplar works for non structural. Good Luck. p.s. Post edited to add some rear roof wood repair photos.

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_2048.JPG

IMG_2049.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2275B.jpg

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

1931 Chevrolet Deluxe Coach.jpg

IMG_1480B.jpg

IMG_1487B.jpg

IMG_1490B.jpg

IMG_1493B.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I have done a number of cars From the first 32 chevy to 30 Oakland  ,1916 overland  . Overland had no good wood in it . Keep at it one piece at a time don't let people say it can't be done Howard

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Take a look at the long running thread by Christech on his Olds Deluxe Convertible Roadster. He completely rebuilt the wood frame and has since done several other cars. Ted is very good at it and he has said that he would never discourage someone from trying to do it. People who never try never learn to do anything. I would say that patience is a virtue here...a lot of the negative views seem to come from folks who expect everything to be done in a week or two. This isn't that sort of job but the more you do it, the better you will get so the second half will likely take 1/4 the time the first half did. If you don't already have them, be prepared to buy some tools. Much of the frustration and wasted time involved is caused by trying to use inadequate tools.

• Like 1

Original poster hasn’t returned since January. One post and done….. 😔

• Like 1