1959 king midget - $5,000

Think how many you could fit in your garage! This price might not be all that far out of line......

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/san-francisco-king-midget/7705014680.html

email:  d4c92d02ce1a32d2ab8c1101fbdab3f9@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.4bfe70a19a8a19108f293d919da189af.pngimage.png.7d7f420e7e017c76e3a763180b770033.pngimage.png.c1a62563b34c977b19b95fa9132b95b0.pngimage.png.cc4348dce322e7d1471f7fb6ec6f5b54.pngimage.png.0e41c44cd504cfe2d3daeb4a32e20771.pngimage.png.727714321dc82d3ae240844a564f5473.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gearheadengineer said:

I’ve never seen one with an 8-track before! 

And a Continental kit! 

I remember that these were offered as an alternative to a normal car. I suppose that they were street legal at the time in most, if not all states?  Would these be street legal now? They are more like a modern golf cart than a quad, quads are quite large and powerful now, but most states won't license them for street use. Not that I'd like to be mixing it up with that thing among all the big trucks and SUVs on the street today.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rivguy said:

I remember that these were offered as an alternative to a normal car. I suppose that they were street legal at the time in most, if not all states?  Would these be street legal now? They are more like a modern golf cart than a quad, quads are quite large and powerful now, but most states won't license them for street use. Not that I'd like to be mixing it up with that thing among all the big trucks and SUVs on the street today.

I believe that if something was street legal when new (these were) then they are grandfathered in to being steet legal now.   No more dangerous than a motorcycle.

• Like 2

As Alsancle said, would be legal today as they were legal when new. Make sure you get the original title documents. I would hate to have to convince the DMV I didn't make it in my home garage lol. You could have a lot of fun on suburban streets, running errands, or going for drives on quiet country roads. But you would have to be nutz to take one on the interstate or in heavy traffic. But, when they were new, a few people took them on cross country trips .

8 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

As Alsancle said, would be legal today as they were legal when new. Make sure you get the original title documents. I would hate to have to convince the DMV I didn't make it in my home garage lol. You could have a lot of fun on suburban streets, running errands, or going for drives on quiet country roads. But you would have to be nutz to take one on the interstate or in heavy traffic. But, when they were new, a few people took them on cross country trips .

Most states have a horsepower lower limit that these with their original engine may not meet for use on interstates or other designated freeways. Even some smaller motorcycles are not allowed on freeways in many states. Honda along about 1970 altered their small motorcycle lineup because a certain model had a rated horsepower that barely qualified for California freeways. The problem was that actual dynamometer tests showed a significant percentage of that model were slightly short of the legal requirement, and California contended that the requirement was for actual horsepower and not stated ratings. 

I remember this because one of my cousins got caught in that model trap. His was tested (independently), and found barely shy of the requirement. A year later he had a 1966 Mustang.

I don't recall what the legally required horsepower was at that time. But I find myself wondering if the King Midget might have met the requirement for the horsepower of not?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

Most states have a horsepower lower limit that these with their original engine may not meet for use on interstates or other designated freeways. Even some smaller motorcycles are not allowed on freeways in many states. Honda along about 1970 altered their small motorcycle lineup because a certain model had a rated horsepower that barely qualified for California freeways. The problem was that actual dynamometer tests showed a significant percentage of that model were slightly short of the legal requirement, and California contended that the requirement was for actual horsepower and not stated ratings. 

I remember this because one of my cousins got caught in that model trap. His was tested (independently), and found barely shy of the requirement. A year later he had a 1966 Mustang.

I don't recall what the legally required horsepower was at that time. But I find myself wondering if the King Midget might have met the requirement for the horsepower of not?

Anyone that takes that on a freeway is a complete idiot. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

Anyone that takes that on a freeway is a complete idiot. 

Yes folks.  Those who don’t know, a King Midget uses a single cylinder engine driving a single rear wheel!  (No differential needed). 

It has a belt drive centrifugal clutch.  Operational and top speed put it in the Model T class.  

Forget about “legal” In reality it’s barely a car. 

• Like 1

There was an old boy around here in the seventies that thought these were the bomb.

He had a couple of them. He even made an extension on the back of his travel trailer for one.

I saw him driving them around town often.

7 hours ago, m-mman said:

Yes folks.  Those who don’t know, a King Midget uses a single cylinder engine driving a single rear wheel!  (No differential needed). 

It has a belt drive centrifugal clutch.  Operational and top speed put it in the Model T class.  

Forget about “legal” In reality it’s barely a car. 

Even as a 13 year old I was an elitist.  I would not bother with a Go-kart that didn't have a live rear axle.

• Haha 1

After I got my license, I got a Honda 160cc motorcycle. It was freeway legal, barely. I believe that it had a 16.5 hp. rating from the manufacturer. In California, it legally qualified as a motorcycle, not a motor driven cycle. In actuality, it had a 70-75 mph. top speed and could maintain 60-65 mph. It was not really suitable for long distance freeway travel, but I could take short freeway hops to connect my back road/ county highway travels. 

I never suggested that a King Midget could be used on a freeway. I just wondered if they have brake and headlights. I know that very old antique cars can be operated on public highways and streets. Prior to getting my 160 I rode a Honda 50 for a time. Although street legal, it wasn't ideal for the surface street conditions of my neighborhood and surrounding area. I think that it would be a similar situation with the King Midget. I think that it might be fun under the right conditions.

The King has 4 wheel hydraulic drum brakes and tractor headlights. It is street legal, and a lot of people find them a fun hobby. When they were new some owners had them as their only car, mainly using them for local shopping and errands while others had them as a second car for the family.

• Like 1