Guidelines, Opinions, Perspective and History of pinstriping Prewar Classics

John Bloom

As many here do, I look at cars too much.  I frequently look at a big prewar classic and Love the look, Hate the look, or feel neutral about it.  Design, Color, wheels and tires, "Adornments", all play a part in the final presentation, but something I am paying more attention to now than before is pinstriping.  It can be an asset or a liability.  To my eye, it is done perfectly when you love the look and almost don't notice the pinstripe treatment.  Different Hood louvers, Beltlines, Stamped rims on Fenders, all give opportunities to lay some Pinstripes down.....or not.  It got me thinking, what are some historical approaches to Pinstripes when the cars were being built new at the factories and Coach Builders?  Do current owners/restorers still follow along with what was typically done back when the cars were being built.  Why do some look overdone, vice too subtle and almost disappear?  What contrasting or complementary colors work best relative to the colors of paint on the cars (Body vice Fenders)?  Is there a "Michelangelo of pinstriping" from the classic era who influenced all who followed him/her?  Is there a "go to guy" in the upper echelon of Classics that people seek after today if they have a special car and want the best design and application of Pin Stripes on their classic?

What knowledge is here on the Forum about Pinstripes on Classic cars?

I did a search on this on the forum and didn't really see a thread about this.  If I missed it, we can merge my questions into an already existing thread.

Edited by John Bloom (see edit history)

I'll give you my worthless opinion.   Less is more.   As you stated, the striping you barely notice is usually the best.   Walt is an artist and I'm sure he will have an educated explanation.

Could be related to the 5 color rule as pin stripes are just adding additional colors.

• Like 7

Those who have researched their cars or just have knowledge on production specs probably know best but what might be interesting is what came from the factory vs. What might be custom.  My non Classic Packard 120 for example had pinstriped wheels I believe were correct.  Many Model As were factory pinstriped, the freehand process but using beltline as a hand guide is pretty well documented. 

So who striped Classics? Order or dealer perhaps?   It was definately done in period, but less does seem like more for sure.  More so than some big brass cars that are heavily striped and look pretty good.

• Like 1

Here is a close up of the original dealer applied pinstripe on my 1930 Lincoln 183 sedan.  It looks white in the photo, but is actually silver over the very dark blue body color.  

1930 Lincoln Pinstripe.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have period hard cover color sample books - most for body colors but may have information regarding pin stripe. If I recall off the top of my head they were issued by Murphy ( not the body builder but by the same name used by a  paint company)  I am guessing but think perhaps a total of maybe a dozen colors were used. Stripe was a contrast to body color BUT not a bold contrast - no pink stripe on a orange car.  the stripe and body color would compliment each other. Stripes were 99% of the time done at the factory unless it was a custom body that a customer went to the coach builder to specifically order.

A.J. stated it best - LESS IS MORE.

I will try to post further comments when I have the time, that may take a while - to many irons in the fire right now , a lot of people seeking information, answers etc  - I thought I was retired...................

• Like 2

I have been looking for good information/videos of pin striping on cars fo the classic era, as you might imagine, the results of web searching are pretty extensive, but the vast majority of it relates to the emergence in the 50's 60's for the Hot Rod segment of the hobby.  Lots of big names who made their reputation in custom cars and that continues in that part of the hobby to this day.  

I was hoping to find out some history and stories about who the go to guys were within the hobby that striped the high end classic stuff.  I do agree, that less is more.  Video's of these guys doing it freehand always impresses me.  

Less is always more………especially when it comes to striping your pre war car.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 11:09 PM, John Bloom said:

To my eye, it is done perfectly when you love the look and almost don't notice the pinstripe treatment

Which are probably the factory applied ones, because they were designed to look like that - e.g. the cadillac you can see them on the wheels only 

image.png.f21ece21fdc05c2f1bb1eecbaa6d6b89.png