Removing wood spoke artillery tire, rim and wheel assembly off 1930 Oakland Sedan

Riverrat

Howdy yall, Riverrat here seeking some more guidance on the old 1930 Oakland this time pertaining to wheel assembly removal and wheel knowledge, after slowing moving it closer to the shop, tarping it better and having the right rear rim separate completely from the spokes during the very slow tow and pulling process I have blocked it up off the ground and am trying to figure out these wheels as I have never dealt with spline drive or center lock nut wheels only info I've found is on the bolt clamps that tie the inner and outer rings together have "Jaxon" cast on them, after taking the hub caps off I tried for the left front first, took the cotter pin out and only to get a nut that gets tighter and its threaded off, so I moved to the left rear taking a way to small key in the key slot out where it seems that the nut is bigger than the fronts and seems that it isn't threading to anything and spins in place indicating that there may be no threads under it at al anymore and what almost looks like in a hast to keep the wheel on the shaft that the nut threads to someone in the past hammered and mushroomed the end of shaft although i could be wrong, the right rear was caked in grease and must have aided in saving the nuts life as it came off in a breeze but the wheel still wont budge, a fellow on face book claimed there's a washer and key behind the nut but I'm not seeing that on any of these and also claimed that the correct tires are 5.50 x 19 and the service manual and original care manual calls for 28 x 5.50, the right font I haven't touched due to all of this, any help on this would be appreciated as well as any knowledge on where i could get new rims tires and such, im sure that at least 3 of these can be saved with the left front being the only one to have bad rust rot that could possibly be fixed on the outer and inner ring, rebuilding and remaking spokes isn't out of the equation as my dad has 35+ year wood working experience.

Thanks again Riverrat.

IMG_1963(Edited).jpg

IMG_1964(Edited)(1).jpg

IMG_1965(Edited).jpg

IMG_1966(Edited).jpg

• Like 1

The fronts look like normal front wheel bearings, not sure if balls or tapered rollers but it shouldn't matter. Remove the cotter pin, the nut, and the washer and then pull. The bearing should come out. If you don't quite know what to expect, thread the nut back on a few threads to help catch the bearing when it comes out. The wheel should just come off. Watch out for the possibility that the threads could be reverse on one side. The nut should be loose enough to turn a little once you remove the cotter pin, and you should be able to tell if one side is backwards or not.

On the back, it is probably a taper and you probably need a special tool that threads onto the hub, and has a central screw that you tighten to pull the wheel. There used to be a guy who custom made tools like this for various cars, though I think he retired or maybe passed away. I've not heard of anyone else doing it. Others may know more about that. You may need to have a machinist make one.

In all cases, front and rear, the brakes could impede your ability to get the wheels off. You may need to back off brake adjustments, and on a car that old, you really need to know how the adjustments work ahead of time. If you can get a factory shop manual for it that would be a good place to start. I would also remove the fronts first because they are easy, and you can work out what if anything needs to be done to loosen the brakes before you tackle the much tougher rears.

28x.5.50 is probably the old sizing system, going by outer diameter and a 100% aspect ratio. Simply put, subtract 5.5 from 28 twice. That leaves you with a 17 inch rim. The 17 inches is measured down in the rim where the tire bead seats, not the outer diameter of the rim. In slightly more modern sizes, that would be equivalent to 5.50-17. 5.50-19 sounds more likely to be a common size in 1930, but you can measure the rim to find out which is right. Use only hickory for spokes.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

All good advice. The tire in my 28 DB Senior says 600/650x19 When I measure the outer rim, lip to lip it measures 21 inch. It is a 19 inch wood wheel.

Sometimes the wheel axle nuts may have R and L threads Pre war Buicks are famous for that.    

• Like 1

I would post on the Pontiac Oakland page looking for a puller or what size the thread is.  I have lent my MoPar puller out several times with a $125. deposit.  If you know your thread size there are several pullers on E-bay.  Slow and easy as not to damage your axle. 

• Like 1

I have a set of wire wheels ,and backing plates from a 31 oakland . Would like them go to a good home then go to scrape . Howard

• Like 1

You can get the wood spokes made new at Stutzman Wheel Works in Berlin, Ohio. They do great work and are fair in their prices.  I have had them make three sets of new wheels for me. 

Take the wheels apart, clean/sand blast the parts clean and then paint or powder coat the parts.  Take the parts & an original spoke to them and they will do the rest.  You will be satisfied.

New spokes=safer vehicle.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 6:04 AM, kings32 said:

I have a set of wire wheels ,and backing plates from a 31 oakland . Would like them go to a good home then go to scrape . Howard

Hey kings just now seeing this message about your wire wheel rims, haven't been on here in a while as I've put the Oakland on the back burner for a minute,  I've cleaned up all the parts and jacked it up and am trying to deal with these wheels and tires and find more parts, if your still have them id be interested in taking them off yours hands i could definitely use them and put them to work again.

Jake

rIVERRAT   i still have  the  wheels ,backing plates  ,spindles  and related parts . Where you at . cant' ship a lot of weight . we could talk about this  . Howard

2 hours ago, kings32 said:

rIVERRAT   i still have  the  wheels ,backing plates  ,spindles  and related parts . Where you at . cant' ship a lot of weight . we could talk about this  . Howard

Im based out in Bozeman Montana  I'm mainly just looking for a good set of rims primarily wire wheels as you have there, id be willing to pay shipping

herrickripley2@gmail.com is my email so we can talk further