Universal signal light kit

Wayne D Johnson

Nobody that I know of. The aftermarket ones available around here are big and clunky. I found an old one from the 40-50 era aftermarket and fixed it up. Looks WAY better and works quite satisfactorily.  

I don't know of one either. They used to sell kits with 4 signal light housings to convert trucks. I haven't seen that lately. If you are going to just add lights like that, front and back, that simplifies things, but almost no one wants to do that these days. They want to combine with the tail/stop light and re-purpose the parking light. Modern switches, generally speaking, are capable of sharing existing lights. So are some but not all old switches. For those who are just adding lights, I hear reproduction Harley Davidson signal light housings are popular.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Guys, I was considering adding turn signals for my '28 Dodge Brothers Cabriolet and disliked the idea of running 4 wires All over the chassis. I decided on a variation of the European side light idea. That requires only One wire for each light and snakes across the inside of the dash and slips back under the door sill and up behind the side upholstery panels.

I started with a truck style fender marker light, discarded those sticking out lenses, and created a pattern and cast a pair of flat lenses for each of the lights ( one for each side). I am using a vintage turn signal switch that has L , R and Hazard (both), lights. A machinist friend turned the pedestal mounting posts from stainless steel.  I built These in Homage to something that could look like it could have been available in the period. ENJOY!  My28Cabrioletprogess.JPG.c947d74d8325241d9467e2f3b41c21f5.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RAH said:

Guys, I was considering adding turn signals for my '28 Dodge Brothers Cabriolet and disliked the idea of running 4 wires All over the chassis. I decided on a variation of the European side light idea. That requires only One wire for each light and snakes across the inside of the dash and slips back under the door sill and up behind the side upholstery panels.

I started with a truck style fender marker light, discarded those sticking out lenses, and created a pattern and cast a pair of flat lenses for each of the lights ( one for each side). I am using a vintage turn signal switch that has L , R and Hazard (both), lights. A machinist friend turned the pedestal mounting posts from stainless steel.  I built These in Homage to something that could look like it could have been available in the period. ENJOY!  My28Cabrioletprogess.JPG.c947d74d8325241d9467e2f3b41c21f5.JPG

Nice job. However, I am going to say that if you are going to put turn signals on a car, they should be where people expect to see them, two at the rear and two at the front, not hidden in the middle of the car and that low where they would only be visible with the viewer being directly in line with them. In practice, bet people getting in will be grabbing them to help get in. 

Mark, Thank you kind Sir for your response.

I had anticipated some negative response due to the unconventional location of these lights. However I did walk back the equivalent of several car lengths and these lights (especially when flashing) ARE fairly obvious. I was initially inspired by a fairly modern European Mercades with that solenoid operated flag type signal lights in similar locations on the side of their car they should work on my car.   I like to think outside the proverbial BOX.  And the overall price was MUCH better than most of the other units available today.  And in response to the potential passenger using one for assistance in access or egress would think MOST Antique Auto types would have a bit more common sense .

Also in deference to my uncommon light location, what about those vintage Vaccuum operated units that were fastened to the upper windshield that slid out with a hanging 'L or R" in their units? Continue having FUN!

Edited by RAH
additional info (see edit history)

First thing to consider is safety. If you are considering driving a pre 1930 car on the public road you will not want to have it totaled. Other drivers  beside you spend more time paying attention to the antique car.  No driver today pays any attention to hand signals. If you lift your hand up in the air signaling a right turn they will think your are giving "bye bye"  Be realistic. Get some tail light assembly from later cars  that use 6 volts bulbs . Run the wires in armour housings if you looking for beaty.

I would try to get a second tail light assembly to put on the opposite rear fender, so you could get a symmetry look on the back. In the front, the cowl lights could also be adapted to be turn signals.