For Sale: 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe, fixed glass moon roof - Project - $4,500 - Crystal Lake, IL - Not Mine - Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $4,900: 9-12-2024.

For Sale: 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe, fixed glass moon roof - Project - $4,500 - Crystal Lake, IL - Still Available, Major Price Increase to $8,000: 3-6-2024. Major Price Reduction to $4,900: 9-12-2024.See New Link Below.

1977 lincoln continental for sale by owner - Crystal Lake, IL - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Extremely rare glass top Town Coupe. This glass top is in perfect condition! Very solid car and it starts, runs and stops. It was originally a Florida car. It has many needs including headliner, tires, exhaust etc., henceforth the very low price. I have no room, just need it gone. Clear title in my name. 460-engine. Very nice interior. Call me for details, in Crystal Lake. The first reasonable offer around $4,500 will buy the car. odometer: 73000
Copy and paste in your email: 9302afb26fb932629033e73fb136b2ec@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe, fixed glass moon roof - Project.

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL a.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL b.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL c.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL d.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL e.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL f.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL g.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL h.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL i.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL j.jpg

'77 Lincoln Continental glass top IL k.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $4,900: 9-12-2024. . Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)

I had one of these in a dark red metallic. Probably one of the nicest and best big cars I've ever owned and for some reason, in a moment of poor decision making, I sold it to make room for a new 86 Mustang...probably the worst car I've ever owned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I would venture to say the roof is aftermarket. I have never seen another, not that I have seen all of the lincolns made. Price may be off by about $4k.

The fixed glass 'moon-roof' was a factory-installed options for the Town Coupe in the mid-'70's but not very popular. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The fixed glass 'moon-roof' was a factory-installed options for the Town Coupe in the mid-'70's but not very popular. 

Do you know who did the install? I would be curious to know. I would imagine an outside contractor was involved. My car has Cars n Concepts t tops which were not a 'factory' installed option but were done before final delivery. 

those are factory roof option ,the 4 door option also came with them but i think they were smaller front to back length,nothing aftermarket about trim and finishings.......my friend has a yellow 2 door and i saw it with the inside  headliner being redone,i noticed nothing cut about the job and factory metal  braces or structure.the outside glass trim is a tough one to prevent deterioration [shrink and crack] i have seen on a few.....like a thick plastic material  similar to the thick inserts on the side body  mouldings and the bright work trim would come away from staying attached easily  .image.png.e4021ba9dd609697eaf4a6116f28d4db.pngimage.png.1c9905762b5b108c9c8b69a2a36cbf7d.pngimage.png.1c0f3371cb81d1ac317cc607809bf6bd.png

• Thanks 2

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe, fixed glass moon roof - Project - $4,500 - Crystal Lake, IL - Not Mine - Still Available, Major Price Increase to $8,000: 3-6-2024.

Still Available, Major Price Increase to $8,000: 3-6-2024.

Seller's Description:

Extremely rare glass top Town Coupe. 460, forged aluminum rims, power seat, power windows work. BRAND NEW tires, rebuilt carb, rebuilt fuel system. Car runs, drives and stops. Clean title in my name in hand. Glass roof is in perfect condition, zero cracks. Some rust, but overall, it’s a very solid car. Looking for the best offer near $8,000 which is a very fair price. Silly low ball offer swill be ignored.
Can possibly deliver this car after purchase.  IF interested, call me ONLY!! All texts will be considered fraud or spam. I’m not stupid, don’t waste my time.

Hmm...

The car has higher mileage (73,000 miles).

The car has some obvious needs.

Town Coupes (except with the glass roofs) are readily available.

No one bought it at $4500.

Why does he feel the price needs to go up?

Did he perhaps do some significant work recently?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I would say this seller is not reliable.  

If the seller is the John McCarthy I know of,

he is very reliable, and a true Lincoln enthusiast.

I even reprinted one of his articles in our AACA

regional newsletter.  He has been on this forum

and is active in the AACA.

I think he'll find, though, that the price--even for

a car with the rare glass roof--needs to come down.

But I wish him well!

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

But I wish him well!

John - I am only basing my comment on the wish washy pricing up and down.  Price sells cars.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 7:54 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

But I wish him well!

Thanks John, and yes I have put a good deal of money into the car since the original listing including new tires, restored tank & fuel system, professionally rebuilt carb, headliner and a bunch of other items.  I’m asking $8K, but I’ll take the first decent offer, as long as my costs are covered.

And if I don’t get any offers at all, I’ll just keep it.  I really love the thing, and it’s super rare and yes the glass is 100% factory original (installed by ASC).  It even carries a Ford “Car-Llite” decal.

The story on this Lincoln is that I saved it in the last moment, from going on a TV show in which one of the “artists with a sawzall” was about mutilate it for his own personal gratification.  I couldn’t let that happen.

Edited by John_Mc (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John_Mc said:

Thanks John, and yes I have put a good deal of money into the car since the original listing... 

And if I don’t get any offers at all, I’ll just keep it.  I really love the thing...   

John, if you do keep the Lincoln, you should consider

doing some restoration on it.  We all spend money on

cars that may not be recouped!  That way, this Lincoln

will be preserved even better into the future.

Do you know what percentage of Lincolns came with

this roof?  Are they even scarcer on the Town Cars (4-doors)?

Are you planning on getting another car when you sell this?

All the best to you in your sale.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On 12/20/2023 at 9:14 PM, jimkf said:

I had one of these in a dark red metallic. Probably one of the nicest and best big cars I've ever owned... 

Thanks for the helpful testimony, Jim.

Learning from others' experience is useful, and may

encourage other car fans to get the same model of Lincoln.

1 minute ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

John, if you do keep the Lincoln, you should consider

doing some restoration on it.  We all spend money on

cars that may not be recouped!  That way, this Lincoln

will be preserved even better into the future.

Do you know what percentage of Lincolns came with

this roof?  Was it available on the Town Cars (4-doors) too?

Are you planning on getting another car when you sell this?

All the best to you in your sale!

Yes, I’ve been slowly restoring this car since last November.  I guess I can’t help myself!  So while it gets better looking and more drivable, the cost keep going up.  Here is a more recent picture:

IMG_0567.jpeg.dfbb2226f245e53ed40fd4093aa755a0.jpeg

But like I said, I’m happy to just keep it.  

The glass top numbers were not recorded, but estimates run between 1,000 and 3,000 in coupes and sedans in the 1977 - 1979. The glass tops were not available in 1980.  They were about the same cost as a moonroof, which of course while smaller, did open up.  So naturally far fewer glass tops than moonroofs were sold.

• Like 1

According to one source:  Of 191,355 Lincolns produced in 1977, but 1347 of the lovely 2 doors and 1591 of the 4 doors had this option. Yes, when new the solid glass roof was a rare bird, but now probably rarer still!    1.5% of production.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1977 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe, fixed glass moon roof - Project - $4,500 - Crystal Lake, IL - Not Mine - Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $4,900: 9-12-2024.

Still Available, Major Price Reduction to $4,900: 9-12-2024.

Seller's Description:

REDUCED DOWN TO $4,900!
Extremely rare glass top Town Coupe. 460, forged aluminum rims, power seat, power windows work, power antenna. BRAND NEW tires, newly rebuilt and sealed gas tank, professionally rebuilt carb, new alternator, new regulator, brand new professionally installed headliner. Car runs, drives and stops, all lights, wipers, horns, trunk release, radio/tape player, work perfectly. Clean title in my name in hand. Glass roof is in perfect condition, zero cracks. I have removed the chrome trim to begin body and paint work. If you are any, or know a body and paint many, this is the car for you. This car is extremely rare and has a beautiful original interior. Can be driven anywhere. Looking for the best offer near $4,900 which is a very fair price. Silly low ball offers swill be ignored.  Can possibly deliver this car after purchase.
IF interested, call me ONLY!! All texts will be considered fraud or spam. The car is in McHenry County, again CALL ME ONLY!
Contact: Call or TextJohn N McCarthy (847) 9-nine-7-9-9-4-four

• Thanks 1