1949 buick wagon correct tire whitewall size

thunderbird sunroof

Some clubs offer info about whitewall width for various production years for club judging purposes, but BCA doesn't seem to.

If you like the look of what's currently on the car (it's a beauty!), then replace with the same.

If you're going to stick with 4" whitewalls, it might be better to replace with bias-ply tires rather than bias-look radials.

Depending on how aggressively you like to drive, you might scuff the edges of 4" WW's on radials.

On 12/10/2023 at 1:29 PM, thunderbird sunroof said:

thanks.   right now it has 700x15. tires   even though it should have 760x15.    seems ok.  but I haven't driven it     I was thinking 710 x 15 goodyears.  tubeless    Kelsey tire has these  ???

Factory size on Supers was 7.60-15. They'd be the same diameter (or slightly smaller) than some of the 7.00-15's, but they'd be a little wider. Is there a reason you're looking at 7.10's? A little less expensive? If the diameter is the same as a 7.60, it'll look OK. Too may owners only look at the width of a tire and end up running on 225-75's that look like roller skate wheels on a big car.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:13 PM, Century Eight said:

Don’t know about ‘49 but my all original ‘50 Super came with 4 inch whites on 7.60 x 15  Firestones.  Check your spare, it may be original and you might verify that way

As a correction here, my car came with US Royals, not Firestones, although I think they were offered.  What I wanted to ad is that i replaced them with 7.00 x 15 bias belt.  Theses seem to ride better as they are a little bit bigger by the shape (dont ask me to explain that, I once knew) and of course newer and not as hard.  I am willing to take the points correction by a sharp judge for the size difference and I want the same look on the big white wall, because it’s my car.

• 2 weeks later...