1923 Buick 4 38 wiring issue

SM Shark

We just acquired a very nice 1923 Buick 4 38 and there seems to be an issue in the wiring to the head lamps and other lighting. They will momentarily turn on and then turn off or not come on at all with the switch. I was thinking of pulling the switch and redoing all the wires going in? Does anyone have any other ideas? 

IMG_0044.jpeg

IMG_0019.jpeg

• Like 1

My decision would depend upon the condition of the wiring. If it is awful, I'm with you; do a careful and authentic rewire. However, if the first look doesn't scare you, I would set about disconnecting the battery, and carefully cleaning and reconnecting each connection.    I figure, if one connection is bad, there are probably others, so I would set out to check and clean them all. That way, I get to learn more about my car and become comfortable about the integrity of the electrical system. As I do it, I learn about  other units as well.

• Like 3

Look around in the vicinity of the switch for a thermal circuit breaker. I don't know if your car has one, but Buick certainly has used them now and then. They work by heat, so if it has one maybe it is bad, but on the other hand it is possible that it would just need it's points cleaned. Dirty points make excessive heat.

• Like 3

The circuit breaker will certainly turn the lights off if there is an overload, usually it buzzes, but after 100 yrs anything is possible.  If the wiring looks in good shape I would check for problems in the headlight sockets.

• Like 3

If the switch has been rebuilt with a modern replica case (aluminum) instead of the original crumbling die cast unit, the replica levers also do not fit well. I had to true the lever shafts and shim them to keep a good fit so the contacts were doing their job.

12280620buick202520switch.jpg.651ee52b22536a9a789462579b54b1d2.jpg

DSCF1523.JPG.87ab537a328c8cd3fd43d76ef87a62e5.JPG

What the micarta contact plate looked like since I was experiencing intermitents also.

I had to make new contacts and do an epoxy filler to replace burnt sections.

DSCF1547.JPG.5d88b8cdb5199f67b49171a2be7cf957.JPG

DSCF1546(1024x768).jpg.ebfb4099b19ff134302482e84beb738c.jpg

Edited by dibarlaw
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This type repair is possible and with a little work a non electrical person can learn how to trouble shoot a circuit and see where the power stops.  I would buy a GOOD  6/12 volt test light. (  10-12$)   They are about the size of a short screwdriver and have a light and wire with a alligator clip on the end.  The more you use it the better you become.   Have a electrical person help you get started .

Edited by DFeeney (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bobs Automobilia has most of the parts that you need to rebuild the ignition and light switch.  Be very careful removing the bezel as they are not available.  Go slow and do not overbend the tabs.  Use the wiring diagram provided and a test light or ohm meter.  It is likely that the switch needs to be rebuilt, but it could also be a loose connection somewhere in the circuit.

If the lights do not come on when the switch is at room temperature, then it is not the overload protector (which it has).       

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for the wiring diagram. It helped a lot. Got all the lights working. Took the ignition light switch apart after labeling and repairing wiring. Sanded and cleaned contacts and reassembled. Everything comes on and works now, only odd thing is if you let the switch fall into place it turns off, if you leave the switch just prior to each drop location it is fine???

You must have one part installed wrong, or maybe someone before you swapped a part out, or maybe there is wear on the micarta insulator.  Maybe heat history on one of the parts.  Look for any loose or slotted parts that have elongated.  This is the ignition side.  The ignition switch contacts (#3) has the 3 fingers closer together than the light contacts.  Use an ohm meter when rebuilding these to check functionality prior to reinstalling.  Hugh 

rebuildignswitch2-switchorder.JPG.13c6d014313729f18bc43156f3840fa0.JPG

• Like 2