Ford's most expensive car in 1954: V-8 Comete €89,500.00

I used to see one of these owned by Martin Swig around town...a truly beautiful car. Almost every description of these states it was Ford's most expensive car, I've never seem a list price. I have read that Henry Ford II went through the roof when he learned that this car was developed and put on the market without his knowledge, but then once he saw it, he ordered several for his family. More info and pictures in ad.

https://www.classicopen.eu/cars-for-sale

Chassis number 1391, FACEL METALLON body number FMC 1642, engine number 700636.
Color black with a bronze roof and a cognac brown leather interior.
The rare and beautiful Ford Comète was produced at FACEL in Paris, the chassis with V8 engine came from the Ford France (SAF) factory in Poissy.  Prince Rainier of Monaco, owner of a FACEL Bentley, bought a Comète for his wife Grace Kelly. This Ford Comète is a 13 CV model from 1954 with the larger Aquillon V8 engine of 2355 cc (80 hp), linked to an optional Cotal electric-hydraulically operated four-speed gearbox with an intriguing 'joy stick' steering column switch. A total of 2,265 Comètes were built, of which only a small number were equipped with the electric-hydraulically operated Cotal four-speed gearbox.

image.png.a86039d90bb00d90cc0de5dae1f12f72.pngimage.png.0ac3334d491968e0d04c954f8f96da30.pngimage.png.3c19e46ee8ceaaec40b20ceea1a795ee.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

HFII was a volatile character, something of a control freak.   The French operation Ford SAF introduced the Comete without Dearborn's okay.

Automotive History: The Small Flathead V8 (V8-60), Part Deux – The Post-War European Fords - Curbside Classic

But there were larger issues like the poor sales and little profits, so the Deuce and Whiz Kids looked for an escape route with turned out to be Simca.  Still, that little V8-60 soldiered on.

• Like 2

I had seen a picture of a Comete before, and thought the

styling was great.  I wondered what it was until I looked it

up further.

Were any of these officially imported into the United States?

If so, they were probably seen in cities such as New York,

Hollywood, and a few wealthy enclaves.  I wonder whether

they are reliable.

Thanks for sharing this unusual car, Leif.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

HFII was a volatile character, something of a control freak.   

Hank the Duce was a great example of the the grand kid who has more of the grandfather's traits than the father does. I think the elder Henry Ford was one of the most interesting people in history, but I sure wouldn't want to go on vacation with him!  A real "Whack Job" as we used to say. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

Hank the Duce was a great example of the the grand kid who has more of the grandfather's traits than the father does. I think the elder Henry Ford was one of the most interesting people in history, but I sure wouldn't want to go on vacation with him!  A real "Whack Job" as we used to say. 

Indeed, HFII was too much a carbon copy of his grandfather.  It's not unfair to say old Henry Ford was a man who outlived his greatness.  In the process, he destroyed the one person who he should have championed: Edsel. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2