New arrival 1914

Rata Road

So it finally arrived! Nice picture. Yeah, those top saddle "L" brackets are definitely too long for a roadster top. Otherwise, I think the car looks like a nice "Southern custom" model T. ("Southern custom" is how I sometimes refer to the Australian and New Zealand model Ts that received locally built bodies when they were new. They were often nicer than the standard Ford production bodies!)

Even though 1914 would be before the higher taxation brought about by the War in Europe, many Fords and other American and Canadian cars were already being shipped down as little more than a chassis, and received locally built bodies. 

I am sure you should enjoy driving it often, as I know you like to do.

• Like 4

Looks like a 1913 with a Mother-In-Law seat,   My Grandfather bought a new 1911 equipped like that n 1911 when he married my Grandmother.    in the faded picture I found, it looked like it was white.   I bought a 1913 Model T Touring once and restored a 1915.

Fun cars if you're not n a hurry..  Have fun!

• Like 2

On 11/11/2023 at 1:55 AM, Rata Road said:

T's are a great car to service and work on.

And no I'm not in a hurry lol!

That is one cool car, and it must be a whoop to work on.

I am not a Model T fan, but their history, and the part they played in automotive evolution makes for interesting study.

It looks like you have arrived at a level (placing the basket) which would meet, or possibly exceed, my ability to work on, and “hurrying” could only be figurative, rather than literal, these cars.

Is the “bed”, rather than a back, or rumble seat, a factory option available with this model. 
Or, is it a product of the era that gas rations were larger, and registration fees were less for a pickup as compared to a car?

Jack

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)

I dont think the flat decks were around 1914.

Runabout (Roadster) and Tourer were the most popular plus a couple of others.

Great cars to work on, reliable and parts are cheaper than anything else and available from several suppliers.

Post a pic when you buy one Jack lol.

Kevin

here is a pic of my other 2

DSCN1448.JPG

DSCN2281.JPG

• Like 2

Be careful Jack B! Model Ts are quite addictive. Once you get past the proletariat ubiquitousness and try one? They really are the most fun per mile and for the dollar than any other antique automobile. I have had a Pierce Arrow, a couple nice pre1930 Studebakers, another rarely seen horseless era touring car, driven friend's Lincolns and numerous other fine cars. But even when I had some of the best cars I ever owned or drove, if I didn't also have a model T, I felt I was missing something valuable. I decided over thirty years ago, I had to have another one, and that I never wanted to not have at least one ever again.

11 hours ago, Rata Road said:

I prefer the roof down which means the rear seat occupant is getting strangled...hmmm mother in law?

The factory offered MIL roadsters had the same problem, maybe not quite as badly, some years the rear body went farther past the frame than other years.

11 hours ago, Rata Road said:

But I like the snake idea, we don't have snakes in New Zealand but perhaps I buy a flute and tell people there is a Cobra in there!

I didn't realize New Zealand didn't have snakes? Nearby Australia I hear has plenty to spare? Other than Antarctica, I thought Ireland was the only place with no snakes.

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I didn't realize New Zealand didn't have snakes? Nearby Australia I hear has plenty to spare? Other than Antarctica, I thought Ireland was the only place with no snakes.

I didn't either, Wayne...

"HONEY, we're moving to New Zealand!"

On 11/12/2023 at 5:58 PM, Rata Road said:

DSCN1448.JPG

Do you know who the body builder was on this one? 

• Haha 1

I have got the name of the guy who built the body on the Depot Hack (for the previous owner), not sure if he is still around.

We are lucky in New Zealand, not only no snakes but we have no predator's (wolf, bear, coyote, fox etc) so we can leave livestock out with no risk of being attacked. Many years ago some native birds lost the ability to fly as there was no danger to fly away from.